"Dune" (1965) Frank Herbert's Borderline-Legendary Science Fiction Novel

DanielK

42 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

More importantly is the question of whether or not Tweaked actually read (and finished) "Dune" - one of the most arduous and miserably complicated books I have ever read (probably on my Top 5 list, and I've read some real back-breakers).

Heathen.

45 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

Yes, and I'm having a lot of trouble finding out when.

More importantly is the question of whether or not Tweaked actually read (and finished) "Dune" - one of the most arduous and miserably complicated books I have ever read (probably on my Top 5 list, and I've read some real back-breakers).

Great book.  Read it in High School, again in college, then at least 2 more times since.   The Middle East Other Worlds have always been complicated in both politics & religion(s).  If you want to really scratch your head, try reading all the sequels.  And, if you want simple (but very miserable), go for the movie (the one with Mr. Twin Peaks in it).

2 hours ago, DanielK said:

Heathen.

I didn't say it was a "bad" book; just "arduous" and "miserably complicated." Honest-to-goodness, I think it was one of the most difficult things I've ever read (and I've read Nabokov's translation of Eugene Onegin along with ... and this is the hard part ... *every word of the commentary* (1056 pages!), in which he would, for example, write two paragraphs explaining why he chose a particular English word or phrase, in order to most-accurately capture Pushkin's Russian - this was surely the most difficult thing I've ever finished). I can't think of what else was harder work than Dune - maybe Gulliver's Travels, Moby Dick, The Bridge on the Drina, The Prince in its nasty-little way (don't let its length fool you) - I've picked up Ulysses and can tell it's going to be tremendously difficult because you really need to read The Odyssey again before even beginning Ulysses. Dune is a bear - that said, it was nearly thirty years ago when I read it, so maybe it would be easier now.

You do know this is why I'm watching shit like "Dragnet" now - I've been traumatized.