Maison Kayser, Paris Boulangerie Chain with Good Bread, Now in Several DC Locations

53 minutes ago, Simon said:

Is the NY Kayser as good as the locations in Paris?  I'd be shocked, but delighted, if so.

Unfortunately can't compare MK NYC to MK Paris. BTW there are around ten MKs in NYC now. I've only tried the one on W 40th St (Bryant Park). (Same block as Lady M cakes, btw). The baguettes are incroyable :lol: My NY brothers and friends all love them. And those financiers. Damn good. 

I'm fairly optimistic about the baguettes at the DC outposts since we have good water here (maybe not quite as good as NYC water but still good).

1 hour ago, Waitman said:

Found the MK in Paris to be perfectly adequate, for Paris, which has a higher standard for perfectly adequate.  Didn't thrill me, though.  

MK in Athens had the best baguettes in Athens.  But, it was Athens.

Agreed about Paris- had better croissants in the corner bar.

1 hour ago, Tujague said:

I was shocked at the number of MKs in NYC on our recent visit; they seemed to be everywhere in Midtown East. I don't remember seeing any when we were there six months prior. I had a small, ready-made sandwich which was just OK, nothing special.

Yeah, on my last visit I got a petit sandwich. I think ham and cheese. Gotta say, for $2.95 it was good. The prices in there are really not bad. I think NYC has really taken to this place.

BTW, Lady M Cakes down the block on W. 40th apparently had a pop-up at Union Station earlier this year. Anyone know if they are coming down permanently as well?

Mr. S and I enjoyed the NYC location at Columbus Circle, and since I've been back home, I have trekked the one mile RT to the convention center location a few times, just to get the soup and petite sandwich, and coffee. IMO, the quality of ingredients and taste is far superior to anything else I've had in the DC area thus far.

1 hour ago, squidsdc said:

Dang. If I like it, it closes. 😟 Unfortunately neither location was convenient for me, but I would go out of my way when the weather would allow, to grab a coffee and sandwich for lunch.

F St is around the corner from our front door, but I rarely buy lunch and I made the conscious decision to lower my intake of delicious sweet baked goods.

And while the area is lousy with tourists, I suspect MK is not what many of them are looking for. There's a Corner Bakery right across the street... on the corner. 😄