Jump to content
Bob Wells

Maison Kayser, Paris Boulangerie Chain with Good Bread, Now in Several DC Locations

Recommended Posts

Is the NY Kayser as good as the locations in Paris?  I'd be shocked, but delighted, if so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Simon said:

Is the NY Kayser as good as the locations in Paris?  I'd be shocked, but delighted, if so.

Unfortunately can't compare MK NYC to MK Paris. BTW there are around ten MKs in NYC now. I've only tried the one on W 40th St (Bryant Park). (Same block as Lady M cakes, btw). The baguettes are incroyable :lol: My NY brothers and friends all love them. And those financiers. Damn good. 

I'm fairly optimistic about the baguettes at the DC outposts since we have good water here (maybe not quite as good as NYC water but still good).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Found the MK in Paris to be perfectly adequate, for Paris, which has a higher standard for perfectly adequate.  Didn't thrill me, though.  

MK in Athens had the best baguettes in Athens.  But, it was Athens.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Waitman said:

Found the MK in Paris to be perfectly adequate, for Paris, which has a higher standard for perfectly adequate.  Didn't thrill me, though.  

MK in Athens had the best baguettes in Athens.  But, it was Athens.

Agreed about Paris- had better croissants in the corner bar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, naxos said:

Agreed about Paris- had better croissants in the corner bar.

I didn't mean to imply that MK Paris was amazing, just that I'd be shocked if some place around here would clear the bar of Parisian adequacy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was shocked at the number of MKs in NYC on our recent visit; they seemed to be everywhere in Midtown East. I don't remember seeing any when we were there six months prior. I had a small, ready-made sandwich which was just OK, nothing special.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tujague said:

I was shocked at the number of MKs in NYC on our recent visit; they seemed to be everywhere in Midtown East. I don't remember seeing any when we were there six months prior. I had a small, ready-made sandwich which was just OK, nothing special.

Yeah, on my last visit I got a petit sandwich. I think ham and cheese. Gotta say, for $2.95 it was good. The prices in there are really not bad. I think NYC has really taken to this place.

BTW, Lady M Cakes down the block on W. 40th apparently had a pop-up at Union Station earlier this year. Anyone know if they are coming down permanently as well?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Opened today at 1345 F St NW! I picked up a baguette monge ($3.20) and some Viennoiseries (croissants, brioches, etc).

The grab n go case looks like a slightly more expensive Pret -- sandwiches, salads, yogurt parfaits, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mr. S and I enjoyed the NYC location at Columbus Circle, and since I've been back home, I have trekked the one mile RT to the convention center location a few times, just to get the soup and petite sandwich, and coffee. IMO, the quality of ingredients and taste is far superior to anything else I've had in the DC area thus far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dang. If I like it, it closes. 😟 Unfortunately neither location was convenient for me, but I would go out of my way when the weather would allow, to grab a coffee and sandwich for lunch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, squidsdc said:

Dang. If I like it, it closes. 😟 Unfortunately neither location was convenient for me, but I would go out of my way when the weather would allow, to grab a coffee and sandwich for lunch.

F St is around the corner from our front door, but I rarely buy lunch and I made the conscious decision to lower my intake of delicious sweet baked goods.

And while the area is lousy with tourists, I suspect MK is not what many of them are looking for. There's a Corner Bakery right across the street... on the corner. 😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wandered over to the F St MK this afternoon. Cases are getting pretty bare but still some stuff left and it appears I was charged half price for the pastries. Good deal, but so sad in there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...