The Metropolitan Museum of Art: New Entrance Fee Structure Starts March 1, 2018

Tweaked

43 minutes ago, Tweaked said:

Starting March 1, 2018 New York City residents (with ID) will have free entrance, out-of-towners will pay $25 adults, $17 seniors, $12 students.  Looks like kids under 12 will be free.

The current policy is suggested entrance fee of $25, but you can pay what you want. 

Wash Post article

I've read about this in several publications, many of which have been critical about the policy. I'm not sure why NYC residents should get this free perk, while someone from Hoboken needs to cough up $25. 

Yet, I'm not sure I agree with "pay what you want," which is what they've been doing - these museums don't make huge profits (I don't *think). In Europe, for example, I don't think I've *ever* been to a free museum.

Tate Britain and Tate Modern are both free, although they do charge for special exhibitions.  The British Museum is also free.

I believe all are considered "national" museums, so basically state-run/funded.  Akin to the Smithsonian in DC...although the Smithsonian is a bit of a hybrid.

The Met is/was the de facto national museum for art in the US due to the size and scope of its collection, but it's really just a fancy non-profit...they are chartered by NYC and they file as a 501(c)(3) nonprofit.   I'm sure it's more complex than that, but in a nutshell.