Bareboat Charter BVIs

MarkS

Heading off the grid for a week where I will be chartering a catamaran in the BVIs.  Itinerary is flexible depending on winds though hoping to get to Anegada for Spiny Lobster. Dining options will be limited due to hurricane damage but I'm sure we will make do and several of the popular watering holes such as the Soggy Dollar and Pirate Bight are back open.  I'll be sure to report back but if you have ever dreamed about this feel free to ask questions.

• Like 1

On January 18, 2018 at 11:04 AM, ktmoomau said:

If you happen to stop in Tortola, I would love to know if Sebastian's made it and is still bottling their fantastic rum, I have dreams about this stuff. 

Having spent much time in the BVI, I have been following  their post hurricane FB page and heard that the rum business continues.  

And sadly I am out of my stash;(

On 1/18/2018 at 10:31 AM, MarkS said:

hoping to get to Anegada for Spiny Lobster. 

I have yet to have a Spiny Lobster that I liked, perhaps because they've not been cooked well. There's no tail, and the meat is the oceanic equivalent of rabbit (i.e., there is none). 

In general, I found the cuisine in the Caribbean to be *vastly* inferior to that of Hawaii, although I admittedly haven't been to either in a long time, and with the exception of St. Barths (and that necessary evil, Sint Maarten / Saint Martin), I visited only off-the-beaten-path places in the Caribbean, and stayed at luxury resorts in Hawaii. So take this comment with a *huge* grain of salt - I don't know if it still holds true.

An interesting footnote: Around 1990, I dined at Kincha, which was a Japanese restaurant in the Four Seasons on Maui - at the time, it was the single most expensive restaurant in the United States (and, outside of France, it was the best meal I'd ever eaten). Everything was done in a Tatami room, and there were only three menus: $150, $250, and $500 - for $500, the chef came in and cooked for you in the Tatami room; I got the $150 menu, and it was absolutely incredible.

21 hours ago, DonRocks said:
On January 18, 2018 at 10:31 AM, MarkS said:

I have yet to have a Spiny Lobster that I liked, perhaps because they've not been cooked well. There's no tail, and the meat is the oceanic equivalent of rabbit (i.e., there is none

I have had a different experience. While there is almost nothing better than a freshly steamed Maine lobster, my summer spent on Guana Cay during lobster season challenged that my feeling about non Maine lobster. The freshly caught, right off the boat, Bahamian lobster is all tail meat- dense and delicious steamed at home. We initially ordered by the pound forgetting that is sold by tail meat weight only and over ordered. Five pounds of tail meat only ( no claws and the fisherman break off the rest of the body before weighing)is a lot of lobster- we feasted for the summer - almost overdosing.