Foods that Should Not Be Paired

NolaCaine

I passed by a new concept in Arlington today: Cajun Seafood & Sushi.

I love both. As a native of New Orleans, I am fascinated by all that is Cajun, especially if it is north of I-10. I also love sushi.

When I think about Cajun food; I think soup, stew, boiled bottom-dwellers with very strong smells and sometimes smells so strong the pepper tickles my nostrils before the food is even ordered.  I think of cheap, very cold beer and bawdy conversation. I think of oversharing with the table of strangers beside me and seeing how fast I can pinch tails and savage a crab.

When I think about sushi, I think about calm relaxation. I think of delicate flavors, quiet conversation, and savoring foods that are pretty, light, and combined in interesting ways.

I cannot fathom how my nose can be assaulted with pepper, my ears assaulted with zydeco, and yet retain the ability to concentrate on the perfect piece of sushi.

• Like 6

On 1/23/2018 at 9:37 AM, NolaCaine said:

I passed by a new concept in Arlington today: Cajun Seafood & Sushi.

I love both. As a native of New Orleans, I am fascinated by all that is Cajun, especially if it is north of I-10. I also love sushi.

When I think about Cajun food; I think soup, stew, boiled bottom-dwellers with very strong smells and sometimes smells so strong the pepper tickles my nostrils before the food is even ordered.  I think of cheap, very cold beer and bawdy conversation. I think of oversharing with the table of strangers beside me and seeing how fast I can pinch tails and savage a crab.

When I think about sushi, I think about calm relaxation. I think of delicate flavors, quiet conversation, and savoring foods that are pretty, light, and combined in interesting ways.

I cannot fathom how my nose can be assaulted with pepper, my ears assaulted with zydeco, and yet retain the ability to concentrate on the perfect piece of sushi.

I love the above!!!!

There is a Cajun-Asian place in Wheaton-Be-Claws.   But it’s shellfish with different spicings  It’s not sushi.  Very different and when I was there it was loud, a little bawdy,  cajunish as you described or Chesapeake crabs and beer (thinking Natty Boh type beer). up here.

Shell fish and beer is neither contemplative or quiet and it ain’t dainty or pretty.   

• Like 1

I think it’s another case of a restauranteur trying to add items that would increase the profit margin rather than making gastronomical sense.  I don’t think Chinese food goes with sushi.  I don’t think Thai food goes with sushi either.  For that matter, ramen doesn’t go with sushi.

I went to a sushi/lobster pound in Maine once. Or maybe it as Cape Cod. Good, but weird. I had lobster, of course. 

I was thinking about this last night: I don't love the bagged crawfish thing here the DMV has going on....but I've not noticed another option, other than self boil. (the crawfish, not self)...I"m ready for a long weekend.

On 1/23/2018 at 9:37 AM, NolaCaine said:

Reminds me of jokingly telling someone once that we thought our hotel was going be a nice, quiet little spot on Bourbon Street.

23 hours ago, NolaCaine said:

Not my imagination! I really thought, after posting this, that the sign was just there to promote renting the space. I was wrong. Asiatique is having it's soft opening so all of us can see just what sushi and cajun pairing is like.

https://www.facebook.com/Asiatique-240180763394919/

To quote the guy right above me...We're !@#$%^

This isn't as new as you might think: MoKoMandy is Korean and Cajun.

(And although I haven't been in awhile, it was really good, too.)

On 5/29/2018 at 8:09 PM, ktmoomau said:

Did you see the Ugly Delicious episode on VietCajun Crawfish?

It has been my (nearly weekly) experience that Vietnamese and Cajun are 2 foods that absolutely SHOULD be paired.  

14 minutes ago, Josh said:

It has been my (nearly weekly) experience that Vietnamese and Cajun are 2 foods that absolutely SHOULD be paired.  

Yes, not sure Asiatique is quite doing what I was hoping for as to Viet Cajun, but maybe they will focus... or not.

• Like 1

On 6/1/2018 at 12:35 PM, NolaCaine said:

but what about the side of sushi...

Doesn't that seem too far?

That's why I said I hope they focus- essentially cut the sushi and other stuff that isn't seafood boil.  It seems odd to have both, yes.

On 6/1/2018 at 12:35 PM, NolaCaine said:

but what about the side of sushi...

Doesn't that seem too far?

Yep. Can’t hop on board with that for the exact reasons you originally described.