DonRocks

Ellē, Bakery-Centric American in the Former Heller's Bakery Space, Mount Pleasant Avenue in Mount Pleasant

I love celery.  This is one of my favorite dishes now on the menu at Ellē featured in the Washington Post article by Bonnie S. Benwick:

A sweet and sour strawberry salad recipe that lets summer’s star fruit shine

"It features peak-season strawberries, a quick-pickled vegetable, toasted hazelnuts, lots of black pepper and a syrupy sauce of vinegar and sugar, and I am only a little obsessed with it. Believe it or not, executive chef Brad Deboy came up with the combo because he wanted to highlight . . . celery. Lightly pickled, it happens to be a great match for the fruit and nuts. None of this takes much effort, and you might just eat it all yourself instead of sharing."

On 4/25/2018 at 9:25 PM, petercarrjones said:

Super excited to spend all my money here. Still desperately awaiting bagel sandwiches.

Dan Fogg, baker for Paisley Fig, Ellē just posted on Instagram.  From a post the day before, he mentions Sourdough bagels.  Limited batch of Sourdough Everything Bagels!

On 7/16/2018 at 8:47 AM, dslee said:

Dan Fogg, baker for Paisley Fig, Ellē just posted on Instagram.  From a post the day before, he mentions Sourdough bagels.  Limited batch of Sourdough Everything Bagels!

Still technically no bagel sandwiches, but plenty of everything bagels (only flavor) baked daily. Had one with cream cheese today. Not transformative, but very good. Everything isn't my go-to flavor, so possibly biased against, but would probably still choose Bethesda Bagel. That said- well-made as far as crust and texture. Pretty dense, salty, lots of very strong poppy, sesame, onion seasonings, AND CARAWAY! Heard good things about their breakfast sandwich, so will have to close my eyes and shell out the $9 at some point. 

Edited by petercarrjones
ETA: Caraway seeds too! That's what the distinctive rye flavor was.. couldn't quite put my finger on it. 
  • Thanks 1

I ate at Elle for the first time last night, and (1) it was very nice though loud and (2) it made me realize why I go out so rarely in DC these days. Eating light and vegetarian, two drinks each, $75 per person with tip. I wish I understood the economics of running such a restaurant better. I am not saying that it was yielding enormous profits for anyone. I have no idea. Maybe all employees are very well paid, which would be good. Maybe good bok choy costs more than I imagine. Maybe rent/mortgage is bizarrely high even in Mt. Pleasant. I suppose that maybe I am saying I don't want to pay double for good food, for the opportunity to sit for an hour and a half and have people fold my napkin and refill my water glass. I wish we had restaurants like Superiority Burger here in DC.

• Like 2