Slapfish, a California Seafood Chain in Several Area Locations

Oh well if its a reference to MP then it's clever.

(this is the namer of slapfish)
I suppose you think it's pretty weird, don't you Mike? Well, you'd be right. 'Cause THAT'S the kind of guy I am, right? WEIRD. Which is why I go over people's heads. A bit like an aeroplane! You think I'm an aeroplane, don't you, Mike? Well, I'm not.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

29 minutes ago, NolaCaine said:

Oh well if its a reference to MP then it's clever.

(this is the namer of slapfish)
I suppose you think it's pretty weird, don't you Mike? Well, you'd be right. 'Cause THAT'S the kind of guy I am, right? WEIRD. Which is why I go over people's heads. A bit like an aeroplane! You think I'm an aeroplane, don't you, Mike? Well, I'm not.

In this case, yes, you're much like an aeroplane. You've gone way over my head. I'm not sure I'm following you.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kibbee Nayee said:

"Slapfish has quickly captured the hearts of seafood lovers with their impressive celebrity chef-driven fine dining menu at fast casual prices."

Please spare us....we already have Bonefish.

A bonefish actually is a fish. I agree the name Slapfish is off-putting. 

5 hours ago, Al Dente said:

In this case, yes, you're much like an aeroplane. You've gone way over my head. I'm not sure I'm following you.

That's just typical. Five minutes before the most important party of my life and the house is destroyed by a giant sandwich.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, NolaCaine said:

Some names are not very inviting...like "slap" and "fish". Only stinky could be a worse modifier.

There's a pretty good and very popular restaurant in Crockett, California, called, "The Dead Fish." I didn't go there for years because I found the name so unappealing.

A bored consumer regulator could mount a fantasy fraud case on their lunch break, if “sustainable” had any legitimate standards or merits and slapping it on your menu meant anything to fashionably conscientious consumers who really couldn’t care less.

I don't know what the crap “natural-cut fries” are, but I want some, and whatever inspired this insipid variety of deliciously fishy slapstick concept.  Totally stoked to see how many trout permutations there will be at the Idaho location.

• Like 2

On 1/25/2018 at 9:47 AM, NolaCaine said:

Some names are not very inviting...like "slap" and "fish". Only stinky could be a worse modifier.

Ah, I guess you've never heard of the unfortunately named Stinky's Fish Camp, a well-regarded seafood restaurant in Walton County, a rather ritzy string of beach towns in the Florida Panhandle. 

I grew up near there and my mom still lives in nearby Seaside (the town where they filmed The Truman Show) and she says it's great, and definitely is one to trust when it comes to great food. 

2 hours ago, mtureck said:

Getting one in Dupont Circle as well, in the old Capriotti's space. 

and I can't wait to try it. After mocking the name, somehow, I happened on the menu. As trite as some of the language may be, I want to try most of it.  But then again, I generally like sea stuff. Not stinky, but am now okay with slapped.

Anybody remember Wahoo Fish Taco in California? Very Yum.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ericandblueboy said:

The menu looks decent.  Of course the online menu doesn't have prices and I don't know whether the food taste good.  So if the food's cheaper than sit-down restaurants and tastes good, and there's a location nearby, I'd probably eat it.  E.g., I'd try their street tacos and sauteed veggies. 

My thoughts exactly. 

Really hope they have good fish and chips...not easy to find around here. 

22 hours ago, Keithstg said:

Honestly, I would walk up to Pesce and hope that it's fast enough. In my experience, it's pretty fast, but not carry-out fast. Personally also not sure if carry-out fast seafood is a good thing. Probably including sushi, but that would be my exception.

but it's cold outside....

42 minutes ago, Marty L. said:

From the looks of those horrifying photos (esp. the "epic shrimp burrito"), I think you'd be much better off, in the Dupont area, stopping by the Surfside shack and/or MIKKO.

I don’t see anything horrifying.  How does the food at Surfside look better?  

What am I missing?  Is this place run by a child molester?  Neo-Nazi? Donald Trump's red headed love child? Why all the hate?

I stopped by the One Loudoun location for lunch today. Since I was solo, I tried two menu items. I should have taken pictures, but I realized that after I had already eaten most of the food. 😎

The lobster taquitos ($6.50)  consisted of flour tortillas filled with a pleasantly rich, nicely seasoned lobster mixture, and then drizzled with a spicy sauce and served with a dollop of guacamole and and vegetable garnish. The taquitos were fried perfectly, and the serving size was larger than I expected. I'd easily order them again.

I ordered the single portion of fish and chips ($9 for single, $13 for double, grilled or fried). The fish used was Hoki, which I've probably eaten before, but never intentionally. It turns out that Hoki, a white fish, is one of the types of fish used in a Filet-O-Fish. I digress. The portion was ample, nicely breaded, and perfectly cooked. The fish was served with a serving of fries, house-made tartar sauce, and a pickle. Again, very satisfying.

While I only tried two menu items, I like the fact that the restaurant offers seafood prepared a number of ways. Ford's Fish Shack, which some see as a competitor, offers a menu that centers around fried fish/seafood. Slapfish offers plenty of fried foods and chowder, but it also offers Poke bowls, salads, and ceviche. Ford's is a full service restaurant/bar, while Slapfish is a fast casual spot.

The staff was extremely welcoming and helpful. I look forward to a return visit. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Marty L. said:

From the looks of those horrifying photos (esp. the "epic shrimp burrito"), I think you'd be much better off, in the Dupont area, stopping by the Surfside shack and/or MIKKO.

For the record, our family has been loyal fans of Surfside (in Glover Park) for many years.  Until the last couple of times within the past year or so when there was a noticeable drop in quality of all the tacos we ordered.  We've talked about going back but can't quite bring ourselves to go.  

Slapfish looks intriguing and we're looking forward to trying in the near future.

Confession: I had lunch at slapfish today. I was very hungry and I smelled the fried-fish-ness and just had to try. It tasted really good as fried food does but now, a mere 40 minutes later, I'm deeply regretting my choice. The "simple salad" description is exaggerated. Most of the salad was soggy leaves.  Accompanying the leaves I also found about 1/2 teaspoon of pickled radish, 3 massively large and dried out carrot rounds and exactly one tiny pickle part. Not the entire pickle, one tiny little part. The other thing I had was deep-fried and was tasty because of that. (Lobster Taquitos) not sure there was lobster in them though.

I ate in the new Dupont location last week. 

Had the fish and chips...really good fish, nice batter, very tasty. I'd go back for it. 

The chips, on the other hand, were unremarkable and over-seasoned. 

Can't say anything else on the menu really called to me, and as it's been pointed out, Surfside makes some really good tacos right around the corner.