Eat Cafe & Restaurant - Cafe in Marymount University's Newside Building, 1000 N. Glebe Road in Ballston

In my never-ending quest to find quick breakfasts in my neighborhood, today I tried the Marymount University Ballston Cafe next to the Starbucks at the Blue Goose location.  I had a breakfast sandwich with sausage and it was quite delicious.  Croissant was nice and buttery.  Their morning fruit bar looked good too with fresh strawberries, blueberries, grapes, pineapple, yogurt, granola toppings.  Coffee was decent though no match for the Starbucks next door.

IMG_20180125_081316589.jpg.584505bd99cffb939c9d107fc3cd3a2e.jpg

• Like 3

On 1/26/2018 at 9:03 AM, Kibbee Nayee said:

(I wouldn't drink Starbucks coffee at gunpoint. I'd rather drink the ooze coming out of a dumpster behind a Chinese restaurant in August.)

I never thought I would see coffee and Chinese restaurant in the same sentence, but it brings to mind some of the best coffee I've had--and that is at some NY Chinatown dimsum places.  I don't know how they make it so good.  My sister would ask them how they made it but it was always delicious with just the right amount of sugar and cream.  Drinking it along with some yummy dimsum hit the spot many a time.  I don't know if it is true anymore because I haven't had dimsum in Chinatown since my mother passed away 16 years ago.  She lived there.

---

I had their cheese pizza last week.  Avoid that!

4 hours ago, hopsing said:

I never thought I would see coffee and Chinese restaurant in the same sentence, but it brings to mind some of the best coffee I've had--and that is at some NY Chinatown dimsum places.  I don't know how they make it so good.  My sister would ask them how they made it but it was always delicious with just the right amount of sugar and cream.  Drinking it along with some yummy dimsum hit the spot many a time.  I don't know if it is true anymore because I haven't had dimsum in Chinatown since my mother passed away 16 years ago.  She lived there.

Interesting ... I never order coffee with Dim Sum, thinking that tea is the natural accompaniment. I'll be in San Francisco in April and will have to try it.

The places I am talking are small coffee shops that serve dim sum.  People usually buy them for takeout.  There is an eating area in the back where you can sit and have coffee and order dim sum.  These are not the typical staff wheeling around food carts.  I just asked my sister (who still lives in NY) for a recommendation  but she doesn't know if they exist anymore.  They were more for locals (no English spoken).  I know the place I used to like closed down.  When I visited, my mother would do take out suigow from there, suigow was my favorite dim sum.  It looked sort of like this but wrappers were more yellowish.

My sister's friend's theory: the secret to their great coffee was adding salt.  Hmmm, must take that with a grain... ho ho!

dd8ee7d0-a3b5-440e-ba05-e0cca833c706--IMG_20150121_170820.jpg

• Like 1