I saw this part 1 and part 2 back to back for two nights at the Biograph in Georgetown when it first came out.  It was emotionally draining.  Afterwords we would repair to Garrett's for a stiff drink and could barely make conversation.

• Thanks 1

Less than 30-minutes into the film:

Chelmno: 400,000 Jews died, and *two* escaped? 

This is a little bit - but not much - different than what's reported on Wikipedia.

Question: The Jewish people have made it a point to put Holocaust museums in prominent parts of major cities, doubtless spending hundreds-of-millions of dollars in the process. Why doesn't the same funding make "Shoah" free and readily accessible for all to see? 

I've been to the DC Holocaust Museum precisely one time, to see a special exhibit about "Shoes" - the ones that were left behind in the camps - and  I honestly have no desire to ever go back. I'm well-aware of the human misery caused by Nazi Germany, and don't need to see graphic pictures on my day off to understand that it happened; yet, as an amateur student of film, I feel compelled to watch "Shoah," perhaps just a bit at a time, in order to honor the survivors of extermination camps. I'm certain that many feel as I do, so why isn't "Shoah" made available for the masses?

This is not a rhetorical question; it's an earnest question, begging for an answer.

And another: If one, single society could enthusiastically attempt genocide against a race of people - so recently - then aren't we, as a species, completely damned? Because, take a look around you: It's still begging to happen, again, and again, and again.

Here's a moving clip by a man who ended up for a while in the Bronx, Abraham Bomba. Try to see his entire testimony.

As much as I know I must watch the whole documentary I am not sure I can take it. If the price of the dvd goes to a good cause then it is no obstacle to me. It should be BROADCAST for everyone to see.

On 1/27/2018 at 6:27 PM, DonRocks said:

Less than 30-minutes into the film:

Chelmno: 400,000 Jews died, and *two* escaped? 

This is a little bit - but not much - different than what's reported on Wikipedia.

In the very beginning of the documentary - before any film began - Chelmno was revealed as having been the very first place that Jews were exterminated, and that the extermination began on Dec 7, 1941 (Wikipedia says Dec 8; "Shoah" says Dec 7) - the same date as the Pearl Harbor Bombings. This is not hard to remember: Get this piece of information in your heads, and keep it there! You owe it to society to have this permanently engrained in your memory.