"Something Resembling Truth" - An Exhibit by Jasper Johns (1930-) - Six Decades of Artwork, at The Broad in Down Los Angeles, Feb 10 - May 13, 2018

dcs

Tickets are $25 each and include museum admission.  I just picked up a pair this morning and there appears to be good availability left, although some days are completely sold out. The following description is from The Broad website:

On view February 10 - May 13, 2018, Jasper Johns: ‘Something Resembling Truth’ , a collaboration with the Royal Academy in London, will feature more than 120 of Jasper Johns’ most iconic and significant paintings, sculptures, prints and drawings, many never before exhibited in Los Angeles. With loans from international public and private collections, including significant works from the Broad collection, the exhibition will trace the evolution of the artist’s six-decade career through a series of thematic chapters. The exhibition encompasses the full range of Johns’ materials, motifs and techniques—including his unique use of encaustic (heated beeswax) and found-material collage in paintings—and the innovations he has achieved in sculpture and the graphic arts by expanding the possibilities of traditional media. Johns’ use of accessible images will be thoroughly examined, seen continually transformed through the artist’s engagement with a wide range of human experiences. In a departure from a retrospective approach, Johns’ artistic achievements will be illuminated through the juxtaposition of early and late works throughout the exhibition. 

One of the most influential and important artists to emerge in the 20th century, and one of America’s greatest artists, Johns has been seminal to the Broad collection. His work emerged with and has influenced numerous other collection artists represented in depth, including Robert Rauschenberg, Andy Warhol, Bruce Nauman, Ed Ruscha, John Baldessari and Sherrie Levine.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ericandblueboy said:

Life must be good if you’re flying to LA for pop art.

I was gonna order tickets until I realized the shit is in LA.

We are going first week of April. Take vacation and buy some tickets.  We can go to Baco Mercat after.  Our treat.  You only live once.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dcs said:

We are going  first week April.  Take vacation and buy some tickets.  We can go to Baco Mercat after. Our treat.  You only live once.

Ahh....any other time and I might do it but that's spring break week for my oldest daughter.  We're going to Epcot Center, again.  We'll be eating at gastronomical giants such as Morimoto Asia, Monsieur Paul, and Il Mulino.  It's also her birthday weekend, so I can't bail.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2018 at 9:23 PM, Ericandblueboy said:

Ahh....any other time and I might do it but that's spring break week for my oldest daughter.  We're going to Epcot Center, again.  We'll be eating at gastronomical giants such as Morimoto Asia, Monsieur Paul, and Il Mulino.  It's also her birthday weekend, so I can't bail.

Enjoy these times.  They go by too fast.

---

Here is the thread dcs posted in the "Visiting Los Angeles" Forum - these are complimentary threads:

"Something Resembling Truth - Jasper Johns Exhibit at The Broad, Feb 10 - May 13, 2018"

• Like 1