DR Summer picnic -7/29/18 Noon to 5ish

curiouskitkatt

The location is set. True to his word, everyone take a moment to thank @DonRocks. The picnic is set for July 29 at Carderock Picnic Pavillion. I have not had the joy of attending any of the past picnics, but as the lead in this, YOU CAN COUNT ON ME being at this one. The only "price" of admission is that you are a registered member of the forum. WIN WIN, I say. I can only imagine the deliciousness everyone will be bringing to this event. I am actually looking forward to seeing some old friends, and walking away with new ones.  C' 'mon we are a fun bunch,  with gobs of insight on everything ranging from food, to the proper use of the oxford comma.  In the meantime, I have a picnic to plan. Its gonna be epic. 

Your cruise director,

kat

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

This right here is why I will continue to spread the good word of this forum. @FranklinDubya you have done such an incredible job following my lead on INSTA, may I ask that you kindly do the same for this picnic. Please have your food lovin friends register  on this forum and join us for this grand picnic. Hopefully you will be in town!

Good Morning All,

Just want to check in with everyone, and announce that we are 4 months away from the picnic. Although that is a great deal away, it will sneak up before we even know it.  I will be visiting the cite  to get a sense of what we will all need to facilitate a great picnic. As the date grows closer please fill out the spreadsheet that I have compiled so we all have an idea of how many people will be attending. I understand that things come up, and plans will change , but please keep us posted on whether you will be joining us . This will help me out tremendously in terms of gathering whatever supplies that we may need. In terms of what to bring I have no doubt that everyone will be contributing to an incredible feast. To indulge my own curiosity, please enter what you may be bringing to the picnic. This may also assist in not having to many overlapping items.  I look forward to seeing you in July! 

On 2/21/2018 at 7:56 AM, curiouskitkatt said:

The location is set. True to his word, everyone take a moment to thank @DonRocks. The picnic is set for July 29 at Carderock Picnic Pavillion. I have not had the joy of attending any of the past picnics, but as the lead in this, YOU CAN COUNT ON ME being at this one. The only "price" of admission is that you are a registered member of the forum. WIN WIN, I say. I can only imagine the deliciousness everyone will be bringing to this event. I am actually looking forward to seeing some old friends, and walking away with new ones.  C' 'mon we are a fun bunch,  with gobs of insight on everything ranging from food, to the proper use of the oxford comma.  In the meantime, I have a picnic to plan. Its gonna be epic. 

Your cruise director,

kat

Gang,

I spent $350 to reserve this pavilion because, well, because I was happy to, and if even 10 families go, that will be worth it for me. But I've always been pessimistic about this event, because the social, "get-together" aspect of our website was supplanted by Facebook many years ago (betcha didn't know it was Facebook that killed it, didja? But it was - nothing I could do about it. PS - where is the seed money and/or corporation who would want to lease this forum on their own website? I'm not going to keep killing myself forever when I could be traveling the world.)

So I'm going to ask to get the ball rolling in the next week or so; otherwise, I'm going to donate the pavilion site to a charity who might be looking for such a thing, and is hard-up for funds. I'd *much* rather make some families here happy, but I don't want this resource to go to waste.

55 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

Gang,

I spent $350 to reserve this pavilion because, well, because I was happy to, and if even 10 families go, that will be worth it for me. But I've always been pessimistic about this event, because the social, "get-together" aspect of our website was supplanted by Facebook many years ago (betcha didn't know it was Facebook that killed it, didja? But it was - nothing I could do about it. PS - where is the seed money and/or corporation who would want to lease this forum on their own website? I'm not going to keep killing myself forever when I could be traveling the world.)

So I'm going to ask to get the ball rolling in the next week or so; otherwise, I'm going to donate the pavilion site to a charity who might be looking for such a thing, and is hard-up for funds. I'd *much* rather make some families here happy, but I don't want this resource to go to waste.

We're still 6 weeks out. People may not have populated the spreadsheet linked above, but it seems to me that at least 9 people have indicated in this topic that they are coming, and I know of a few others that haven't signed off in the topic that are planning on coming.

7 minutes ago, DanielK said:

We're still 6 weeks out. People may not have populated the spreadsheet linked above, but it seems to me that at least 9 people have indicated in this topic that they are coming, and I know of a few others that haven't signed off in the topic that are planning on coming.

Well, could folks at least reassure me by re-committing here? It doesn't need to be this week, but maybe RSVPs can start trickling in, with some tentative "who's going to bring what?"

I reiterate: Protein *always* works best at our picnics. Fried chicken, Ostrich eggs, :), etc.

I am definitely in, +3.

We will bring some kind of baked goods (my wife's specialty), and some kind of protein/green veggie dish, which will completely depend on what shows up in my CSA bag that week.

I also have the "traveling box of DR picnic supplies", which includes pens, nametags, several reusable tablecloths, plus plenty of napkins, silverware, plastic/paper cups. I will do a complete inventory closer to the date to see if we need any paper goods at all to be supplemented. Would also like someone to take ownership of the box after this picnic, as we are doing a big cleanup project in my garage in anticipation of selling the house in a year or so.

14 minutes ago, DanielK said:

Oh, hell yes on the cherry whisky!

Are you talking about Red Stag?! I went to a dinner with Fred Noe when he was introducing that stuff "to get women to drink Bourbon" (his words), and I thought it was the nastiest thing I've ever tasted. I guess it sells well, so to each his/her own, but eeeeeeeee-YUCK!

4 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

Are you talking about Red Stag?! I went to a dinner with Fred Noe when he was introducing that stuff "to get women to drink Bourbon" (his words), and I thought it was the nastiest thing I've ever tasted. I guess it sells well, so to each his/her own, but eeeeeeeee-YUCK!

Nope. Astrid makes their own blend of cherries soaked in whisky, and it is fabulous.

2 hours ago, DonRocks said:

I reiterate: Protein *always* works best at our picnics. Fried chicken, Ostrich eggs, :), etc.

I'm sincerely hoping that you watch Atlanta and that's from whence the Ostrich egg mention stems.  Teddy Jenkins episode, specifically.

I would love to commit, but may be out of town for work.  Will know more as the date approaches.

From the website:

There are 30 picnic tables in or around the pavilion and electricity, in the form of 4 110-volt outlets, is available for your use. There are two large grills outside the pavilion and a large fireplace within the pavilion. Water and comfort stations are located nearby. 

There is a softball field and an area for volleyball or relay games. Horseshoe pits are near the front of the pavilion. All are for your use during your event. You must provide the sports equipment, though poles are provided for volleyball or badminton.

6 minutes ago, weezy said:

From the website:

There are 30 picnic tables in or around the pavilion and electricity, in the form of 4 110-volt outlets, is available for your use. There are two large grills outside the pavilion and a large fireplace within the pavilion. Water and comfort stations are located nearby. 

There is a softball field and an area for volleyball or relay games. Horseshoe pits are near the front of the pavilion. All are for your use during your event. You must provide the sports equipment, though poles are provided for volleyball or badminton.

Cool! 

I'll bring Kan Jam for some competitive fun. 

On 2/22/2018 at 11:37 AM, curiouskitkatt said:

Its a little early to be thinking about what to bring, but just in case anyone is incline...

DR PICNIC sign up list

Back in February I created a google doc where people could RSVP as well list what they were bringing. Perhaps everyone would be so kind to fill in the appropriate fields so we know all who will be attending, & what will we will need. Thank you in advance!

-kat

Sorry, I couldn't decide what I was bringing yet, so I didn't fill out the form.  I am +1 or 2.  I am having dish commitment issues, I haven't even been in my house for a weekend for over 6 weekends and counting, so I just am not organized.  I will work on figuring something out.  But I have it on my calendar.  Hubby makes a mean homemade dumpling, but those are a little better fresh.  I love to bake, but I haven't baked in probably two months and don't know what I would want to do.  I was going to test out homemade empanadas.  I likely will also make some sort of pasta or fresh salad, but again, haven't committed to the what part yet.

22 minutes ago, ktmoomau said:

Sorry, I couldn't decide what I was bringing yet, so I didn't fill out the form.  I am +1 or 2.  I am having dish commitment issues, I haven't even been in my house for a weekend for over 6 weekends and counting, so I just am not organized.  I will work on figuring something out.  But I have it on my calendar.  Hubby makes a mean homemade dumpling, but those are a little better fresh.  I love to bake, but I haven't baked in probably two months and don't know what I would want to do.  I was going to test out homemade empanadas.  I likely will also make some sort of pasta or fresh salad, but again, haven't committed to the what part yet.

You could cross-reference the trite foods thread and make a couple things from there.  Sort of a meta-critique on criticism.

13 hours ago, Al Dente said:

Someone fried up an ostrich egg at a previous picnic.

7 hours ago, Pat said:

Getting that thing hacked open was quite something.

It was ol_ironstomach who brought, opened, and cooked the egg - a perfect sunnyside up.

A thought crossed my mind over the weekend.  Since folks are coming from all over the area, does anyone want to do a Peruvian chicken comparison?  anyone who wants to participate can pick up a bird or two from their local favorite and then we can do a side-by-side to see how they stack up against each other.

1 hour ago, weezy said:

A thought crossed my mind over the weekend.  Since folks are coming from all over the area, does anyone want to do a Peruvian chicken comparison?  anyone who wants to participate can pick up a bird or two from their local favorite and then we can do a side-by-side to see how they stack up against each other.

hmmm, I like Peruvian Chicken. Would it be possible to compare it to El Salvadorean chicken too? I recall there being several outpost on Falls Church.

9 minutes ago, curiouskitkatt said:

hmmm, I like Peruvian Chicken. Would it be possible to compare it to El Salvadorean chicken too? I recall there being several outpost on Falls Church.

Compare & contrast?   I don't know if any more people are interested in the idea.

I live close to El Pollo Rico (ARL) or Carribean Grill and could pick up a chicken?  It wasn't what I was planning on doing, but it's good chicken and would be easy for me to do.  I can't promise the skin won't be a little steamed by the time we reach the picnic.