10 minutes ago, weezy said:

And the tomatoes!   Oh my goodness, so much goodness!  Unfortunately, I lost track of what I was tasting but there wasn't a clunker in the bunch.

Oh yes, the little yellow ones- golden peach?  Those were great.  I also liked the Japanese sounding yellow variety.  And the chocolate ones were a favorite too.  I didn't realize how much I love yellow tomatoes, but those were all my favorites.

I got called out of town unexpectedly and by the time I got back it would have been 3:30 before I got there. I'm sorry I wasn't there.   😒

Now I have about 40 chicken wings to eat.

My chaps were at the cleaners anyway.

5 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

Now I have about 40 chicken wings to eat.

Best problem ever, darn it, now I am totally craving chicken wings.

Garden peach is the fuzzy one and Azoychka is the yellow beefsteak. The big dark strippy beefsteaks is Girl Girl's Weird Thing.  The other 2 dark beefsteaks are African Queen and Spudakee.  The smaller dark tomato is Tasmanian Chocolate.

• Like 2

Thank you, everyone, for a very fun and delicious picnic.  This is such a welcoming and kind group :)

• Thanks 1

Let me add my thanks to those folks who did the work for the picnic.  It was nice to see some folks I hadn't seen since the last picnic, and to meet some new folks.  The food, of course was all extremely good.  I especially appreciated the work that astrid did to bring the tomatoes and cut them so we could taste a variety.  I think I sampled about 10 different ones, and my favorite was the Azoychka, which I had never heard of before.  

• Like 1

Thank you for organizing it.  We had fun, although BL-6th grader's patience was not what I might have hoped.  (I think the last picnic we attended he was 2 and I remember chasing him around...)  

The Girl Girl's Weird Thing were my favorite tomatoes. 

I ended up with matching two metal big tablespoons or smallish serving spoons.  I'm happy to return them to the rightful owner, whoever that may be.  They're clean now :)

2 hours ago, weezy said:

I ended up with matching two metal big tablespoons or smallish serving spoons.  I'm happy to return them to the rightful owner, whoever that may be.  They're clean now :)

I think those were part of the traveling supply bag.

• Like 1

It warms my heart to read all of the delicious responses to this year DR picnic. I was so sad to miss it on account I was tending to domestic repair issues on the homestead. There is no reason more of these similar events can't happen more often. Perhaps a revival of HH at various locations throughout the DMV, or smaller gatherings throughout the community. I know Rocks said the social aspect of this forum was killed off by Facebook, but I think there is hope for this forum to thrive through interaction offline. Each and everyday I am out and about,  I mention this forum in passing whenever I can. I am thankful to be a part of this group, and will continue to spread the value of Don Rockwell.com.  

BTW - whoever picked the spot - it was fabulous. Very close to the Beltway; easy for MD, DC, and VA attendees. Large covered pavilion, tons of parking, 3 large grills, and even a stone fireplace if we do spring/fall picnics and weather is cool.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DanielK said:

BTW - whoever picked the spot - it was fabulous. Very close to the Beltway; easy for MD, DC, and VA attendees. Large covered pavilion, tons of parking, 3 large grills, and even a stone fireplace if we do spring/fall picnics and weather is cool.

Yes, Hubby and I both really liked the location and thought that particular picnic pavilion was a really nice one.