DR Summer picnic -7/29/18 Noon to 5ish

curiouskitkatt

3 hours ago, weezy said:

A thought crossed my mind over the weekend.  Since folks are coming from all over the area, does anyone want to do a Peruvian chicken comparison?  anyone who wants to participate can pick up a bird or two from their local favorite and then we can do a side-by-side to see how they stack up against each other.

That could be fun, and I wouldn't mind stopping at La Limena and/or Crisp & Juicy.

However, to me, this style of chicken degrades rapidly once it goes into the takeout container, and we'd be tasting probably an hour or longer after they're bought, so it would hardly be a definitive comparo.

Well, it's just an idea.  I'm still going to be making some stuff -- not sure quite what, yet -- and the chicken was going to be an add-on. I guess we'd only discover which chicken tastes best 2-3 hours later :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, astrid said:

Would anyone be interested in a tomato tasting?   I am growing about 50 varieties of tomatoes this year and I am seeing fruits on most of my plants.  So most should have ripe fruit by end of July.

Definitely interested in a tomato tasting!

3 hours ago, astrid said:

Would anyone be interested in a tomato tasting?   I am growing about 50 varieties of tomatoes this year and I am seeing fruits on most of my plants.  So most should have ripe fruit by end of July.

That sounds fabulous!

3 minutes ago, astrid said:

Alrighty!  Tomato tasting will be happening.

Awesome! Assuming my CSA delivers some tomatoes that week, I will bring some as well, along with some fun salts to taste on the tomatoes.

Anyone have some good olive oils to bring?

We are one month away from the picnic! I am looking forward to seeing some familiar faces, and looking forward to meeting new ones. Just a friendly reminder, if you plan on attending if you could possibly mark that you will be attending either here or on the spreadsheet I have created. Once we are two weeks away I will compile a summary of who will be attending. I am looking forward to all the deliciousness!

Your cruise director, 

katt

On 6/27/2018 at 11:28 AM, astrid said:

I am fond of the CA Olive Ranch oil sold by Trader Joe's.

I will bring basil too.  Growing Thai, Italian, lemon, and lime basil this year.

Have you tried smoked olive oil? I follow this vegan chef on the INSTA and it has me intrigued. I am tempted to track down this olive oil and bring it along with the incredibly fragrant salt that I purchase when I ""met" Dario. These two combined with the sweetness of tomatoes could be amazing.

No.  I usually eat tomatoes undressed, or cheat with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.  

Almost all the varieties are new to me.  I am particularly excited to try some of the purple and black varieties.  I had a few excellent Large Black Boar tomatoes last year and Pink Berkeley Tie Dye is supposed to be even better.

• Like 2

Could this event be added to the events calendar or is that calendar only for birthdays? It would give folks another way to find this thread.

I've looked at the spreadsheet to figure out what people are bringing and it looks like there are a lot of holes in our menu -- trying to figure out how much to bring and if it should be savory or sweet. Any advice or preferences to help me make up my mind?

35 minutes ago, curls said:

Could this event be added to the events calendar or is that calendar only for birthdays? It would give folks another way to find this thread.

I've looked at the spreadsheet to figure out what people are bringing and it looks like there are a lot of holes in our menu -- trying to figure out how much to bring and if it should be savory or sweet. Any advice or preferences to help me make up my mind?

I could certainly add it to the events calendar (actually, I can give every single member here the ability to add events to the calendar (similar to how every member here has the ability to post); I just didn't think anyone used it anymore after our Calendar Girl became less active). Is this something people would be interested in?

I could also tweet about it, and ask members to retweet, if you think that will help.

12 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

I could certainly add it to the events calendar (actually, I can give every single member here the ability to add events to the calendar (similar to how every member here has the ability to post); I just didn't think anyone used it anymore after our Calendar Girl became less active). Is this something people would be interested in?

I could also tweet about it, and ask members to retweet, if you think that will help.

Well, I would definitely like it to be on the calendar and think it would be helpful to allow all members to add events to the calendar.

Not sure about the tweeting but if others think that would be a good idea, I'm not opposed to it. 

58 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

Yes please (on both)!

Okay, I didn't realize people might use such a thing - everyone who has posted before should now have full access to the Calendar.

BTW, *endless* thanks to our Calendar Girl, and Hall of Fame Member, lperry, for her tireless work from 2012-2015 promoting events with the Calendar - they will always be there, and are now a historical document.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DonRocks said:

I put this on the Events calendar months ago. Last I looked it was there.

3 hours ago, Pat said:

I put this on the Events calendar months ago. Last I looked it was there.

It is! The takeaway is that everyone can post about Events now - if a restaurant is running a special, they're free to put it on the Calendar and post about it (please just disclose your affiliation - there's no need to hide, people want to know about these things). The Calendar is a very different animal than the Forums, and it's fine if people want to write about their events, specials, happy hour deals, etc.

We have a loose rule that restaurants can post about themselves (anything they want) "about twice a month" - in ten years, I've only had problems with it once, so this is not an issue - please feel free to post on the Calendar, and once or twice a month, let us know in the Forums that you did.

Psst ... it's called free PR. :)

Cheers,
Rocks

On 7/4/2018 at 10:17 AM, curls said:

Well we never really know how many people are going to come, but it's a great time to spread the word to people who may be interested in joining DR.com... what I have done in the past is to make something that has at least 12-15 small serving sizes, so at least a large skillet size, or small casserole size.  I have debated changing the cheese biscuits to a more rustic bread due to the tomatoes, but I like the cheese biscuits as an appetizer kind of thing, maybe I will do a test run this weekend.  I would go savory, as if it is likely going to be hot (just a guess on that) I think people eat more savory than sweet?  Just my two cents.

22 hours ago, ktmoomau said:

Well we never really know how many people are going to come, but it's a great time to spread the word to people who may be interested in joining DR.com... what I have done in the past is to make something that has at least 12-15 small serving sizes, so at least a large skillet size, or small casserole size.  I have debated changing the cheese biscuits to a more rustic bread due to the tomatoes, but I like the cheese biscuits as an appetizer kind of thing, maybe I will do a test run this weekend.  I would go savory, as if it is likely going to be hot (just a guess on that) I think people eat more savory than sweet?  Just my two cents.

Thank you, that helps quite a bit! Currently I'm leaning towards making a non-chocolate dessert item... just can't think of too much savory picnic fair that does well sitting out at 90 plus degrees. Bread and biscuits are good options as is a tomato tasting.

On 7/7/2018 at 8:39 AM, curls said:

Thank you, that helps quite a bit! Currently I'm leaning towards making a non-chocolate dessert item... just can't think of too much savory picnic fair that does well sitting out at 90 plus degrees. Bread and biscuits are good options as is a tomato tasting.

As a rule, people seem to love proteins (fried chicken, sliced beef, etc.) - we need everything, but I suspect there have never been any meats left over. If you make a salad or vegetable, maybe it would be more durable to be vinegar- or olive oil-based, as opposed to mayo-based? (Just some brainstorming thoughts which may not even be correct.)

I'm not sure if there are any electrical outlets, but maybe someone could bring a couple of fans also?

If there's anything cost-prohibitive that people are hesitant to bring, I'll be glad to reimburse you - if anyone has an idea that isn't being pursued because of the money, please write me. In fact, if anyone wants to prepare, for example, a whole, barbecued lamb, I'll be glad to pay for it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DonRocks said:

If there's anything cost-prohibitive that people are hesitant to bring, I'll be glad to reimburse you - if anyone has an idea that isn't being pursued because of the money, please write me. In fact, if anyone wants to prepare, for example, a whole, barbecued lamb, I'll be glad to pay for it.

NotQuickDraw and agm are the ones that have historically brought the Caja China and done whole animal BBQ, but they're not available on our date this year.

It's easy to get around the heat thing for cold dishes - just put the bowl of whatever in a larger bowl with a layer of ice in between. There's usually plenty of ice around for refilling if needed. And proteins rarely last long enough to worry.

I'll bring a few bags of ice, some sort of dessert -- key lime bars or oatmeal raisin cookies -- a vegan corn & cashew salad, and I'll do up a big  bunch of mustard & herb grilled/roasted chicken thighs.

Sadly, I'm out. Will need to take care of some family matters that weekend. Was looking forward to meeting the DR group. Hopefully there will be some other events that I will be able to attend. I hope you all have a wonderful picnic.

I am bringing two additional foodie friends, so I am up to 4 guests!  I put them on my RSVP, not sure what they are bringing yet.

I am changing my game plan based on what I have in the fridge/freezer and need to use:  I am going to make meatballs, fresh bread, shrimp dish (either like a skillet with veggie and sausage, pasta with shrimp, or garlic butter shrimp, or...).  And I might still make the cheese biscuits.  And Hubby will bring Iced tea.

22 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

I forget-- will we definitely have a grill?

Two large grills are available.  If you're willing to man the grill, I'll bring the thighs ready for cooking instead of doing them beforehand.  And I may change the dessert type thing to something peach-based, since the peaches are in and tasting so good now.

21 minutes ago, weezy said:

Two large grills are available.  If you're willing to man the grill, I'll bring the thighs ready for cooking instead of doing them beforehand.  And I may change the dessert type thing to something peach-based, since the peaches are in and tasting so good now.

I'll be grill man!

I look forward to enjoying your thighs!

• Like 1

May I ask a couple of you possibly bring a large cooler to store the ice that guests may be bringing. I presume people will be bringing coolers to transport their goods for the picnic, but if possible could someone or a couple of you bring an empty cooler for us to store ice for beverages. 9 days and counting.

I should be able to bring 15 to 20 tomato varieties to the tasting.  Just started to get a few ripe large tomatoes this week, but next week should bring a good selection.  My basil plants are also going strong.

Cherry whisky will also be brought, along with a locally made apple pie liquor.

We won't be able to stay for the full time, however.  My high school reunion picnic is on the same day, so we will check out early to attend that.

• Like 1

I've been out of the DR loop for a bit, but I fondly remember the first picnic! Turns out that the stars are aligning on my calendar and I can attend this year. I'll bring a friend (updated the spreadsheet) and will be bringing a pie of some sort, an agua fresca of some sort and a watermelon salad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1