DR Summer picnic -7/29/18 Noon to 5ish

curiouskitkatt

Just a reminder to all to please fill out the Google Sheet for attendance tracking and to make sure we have things covered:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1BnuMmbS3ob0G1EmJnFKJJB4aoly5jllBBjJH67Tg8XE/edit?usp=sharing

Right now, other than MOAR FOOD, we definitely need plates and BOOZY BEVERAGES.

Also, don't forget to bring some empty tupperware for taking home leftovers, and please allow some time to help with cleanup at the end.

See you all on Sunday!

• Thanks 1

FYI - some selected rules for our site:

- Alcohol is allowed under the following rules in the pavilion area:  Beer and wine served in plastic cups rather than bottles or cans.
  - C&O Canal is a Trash Free Park; be prepared with trash bags to remove any waste as cans are not provided. [everyone bring a trash bag]
  - Permission is required to post signs or banners on the roadways. Decorations may be hung in the pavilion provided that only tape is used and it is removed following the event.
  - Fires may be built in established or portable grills only. All fires must be extinguished before leaving the park. Do not bring firewood into the park.
  - Parking or driving on the grass is not permitted and parking at the pavilion is prohibited. Parking is restricted to designated parking lots and parking may not be reserved.

DIRECTIONS FROM THE BELTWAY:

1. Take Exit 41 toward Carderock/Great Falls.
2. Merge onto the Clara Barton Pkwy and continue 1 mile to the Carderock exit (on the right is the David Taylor Model Basin 9500 MacArthur Blvd West Bethesda, MD 20817
3. Take the Carderock exit and at the stop sign, turn left to cross over the Clara Barton Pkwy. Follow the road until you reach a second stop sign.
4. Turn left for parking lot "A" or turn right for parking lot "B" and the restrooms. (The pavilion is located between the two parking lots.) [from DanielK - Lot A is a lot closer to the pavilion]

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Al Dente said:

It's looking like I won't be able to get there until 1 or 2. I'm doing my best to change that, but someone else will have to be grill bitch until I get there.

Without the ass-less chaps, being the grill bitch just isn't the same.

• Haha 1

Regrettably, I’m not going to be able to attend after all.  I was very much looking forward to this revival of a wonderful community tradition, and to meeting the people behind the avatars, but since Sunday a flurry of surprise problems with three different vehicles has set me back by days and demolished my picnic plans.  I hope to see you all at the next one.

• Sad 3

PS - for the tomato tasting, I want to clarify that the point is taste all the tomatoes first without anything masking the taste.  You can add whatever you want to the leftovers, but please taste and judge ALL the tomatoes on their own merits first.

So sorry you couldn't make it.

Another successful picnic, and everyone who thought about coming but didn't, you missed out on great food & great company.  

And I am now the keeper of the DR picnic supplies.

• Like 1

Well I am hoping to have a couple new members for us, although a couple of my guests caught that summer cold that is going around and couldn't attend, which is a shame, I think they would love the group- NEXT TIME!  It was so nice to see some of you all in person.  Thank you all for just delicious food.  The takoyaki were great!!!!  I loved the ribs!  @weezy your crumble cake I might need the recipe for, and your thighs were delightful.  The thai salad with the cashews, cornmeal cookies, ceviche- man there was just so much good food, thank you all!  Whoever brought the cheese- that cheese was phenomenal!!!  Thanks for sharing.

Your company was excellent.  And I really liked the site, I thought that was a really nice picnic pavilion and in a rather central location that was easy to get to!

10 minutes ago, weezy said:

And the tomatoes!   Oh my goodness, so much goodness!  Unfortunately, I lost track of what I was tasting but there wasn't a clunker in the bunch.

Oh yes, the little yellow ones- golden peach?  Those were great.  I also liked the Japanese sounding yellow variety.  And the chocolate ones were a favorite too.  I didn't realize how much I love yellow tomatoes, but those were all my favorites.

Garden peach is the fuzzy one and Azoychka is the yellow beefsteak. The big dark strippy beefsteaks is Girl Girl's Weird Thing.  The other 2 dark beefsteaks are African Queen and Spudakee.  The smaller dark tomato is Tasmanian Chocolate.

• Like 2

Let me add my thanks to those folks who did the work for the picnic.  It was nice to see some folks I hadn't seen since the last picnic, and to meet some new folks.  The food, of course was all extremely good.  I especially appreciated the work that astrid did to bring the tomatoes and cut them so we could taste a variety.  I think I sampled about 10 different ones, and my favorite was the Azoychka, which I had never heard of before.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, weezy said:

I ended up with matching two metal big tablespoons or smallish serving spoons.  I'm happy to return them to the rightful owner, whoever that may be.  They're clean now :)

I think those were part of the traveling supply bag.

• Like 1

It warms my heart to read all of the delicious responses to this year DR picnic. I was so sad to miss it on account I was tending to domestic repair issues on the homestead. There is no reason more of these similar events can't happen more often. Perhaps a revival of HH at various locations throughout the DMV, or smaller gatherings throughout the community. I know Rocks said the social aspect of this forum was killed off by Facebook, but I think there is hope for this forum to thrive through interaction offline. Each and everyday I am out and about,  I mention this forum in passing whenever I can. I am thankful to be a part of this group, and will continue to spread the value of Don Rockwell.com.  

BTW - whoever picked the spot - it was fabulous. Very close to the Beltway; easy for MD, DC, and VA attendees. Large covered pavilion, tons of parking, 3 large grills, and even a stone fireplace if we do spring/fall picnics and weather is cool.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, DanielK said:

BTW - whoever picked the spot - it was fabulous. Very close to the Beltway; easy for MD, DC, and VA attendees. Large covered pavilion, tons of parking, 3 large grills, and even a stone fireplace if we do spring/fall picnics and weather is cool.

We have @pjnewman to thank 

suggestions for location of picnic

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DanielK said:

Yes, Hubby and I both really liked the location and thought that particular picnic pavilion was a really nice one.