“Ugly Delicious” (2018-) - A Food Show on Netflix Starring David Chang

Simul Parikh

Came to suburban Detroit to plan wedding stuff with my family, and after gorging ourselves at Loui’s Pizza (Detroit Pizza is real, people! Give it a shake), we got home and while eating sis’ delicious pecan bars for dessert, we threw on episode 1 of “Ugly Delicious” which focused on pizza. It’s Chang, a food writer, and the chef at Lucali’s looking at pizza in America and abroad. Very cool show, thoughtful, the pace is not frenetic and jokey like Bourdain or the new Rosenthal show (which is awesome, too). Chang comes of very “real” and instead of a “too cool for school” vibe, he’s more like me - he’s a “liker”, not very arrogant, and open minded. The chef plays the foil, trying to define things that don’t need defining, and the writer is the go between. 

Chang created Lucky Peach, and it was a publication for true food nerds. This show has the same elements. It’s not brash. It’s filmed “soft”. It’s very enjoyable. Starting episode 2... he likes quesadillas more than tacos. WTF?? I need to hear more...

• Like 3

If you liked Lucky Peach and have Netflix, Ugly Delicious is a must watch.  The show has the same wit, fun and humor as the magazine.  Even some cartoons and profanity mixed in as well, just like Lucky Peach!  Also watched the first episode and loved it.  Eight total episodes were released yesterday.

On 2/24/2018 at 10:05 PM, jrichstar said:

If you liked Lucky Peach and have Netflix, Ugly Delicious is a must watch.  The show has the same wit, fun and humor as the magazine.  Even some cartoons and profanity mixed in as well, just like Lucky Peach!  Also watched the first episode and loved it.  Eight total episodes were released yesterday.

It makes complete sense that Ugly Delicious follows a similar format of Lucky  Peach. If I recall Peter Meehan,& David Chang were co -collaborators on that publication. I can’t wait to binge on it myself. Today seems perfect to do so on account its soggy outside. Junk food & Chang make for a perfect Sunday afternoon. 

I really enjoyed the first episode.  One of the more interesting moments to me was watching one of them fold a slice of Neapolitan pizza, a method which made me realize why people might not mind the "soggy" interior of this type of pie as much as I usually do -- they cut a wedge then folded the innermost portion back toward the crust, then made anothr fold perpendicular to the first with the crust itself, creating a nice dry pocket to consume the whole thing.  Did anyone else notice this?

In the third episode, it is mentioned that Meehan and Chang founded and ran Lucky Peach.  So let's see---ending a magazine with no advertising and moving to a sparkling deal with the most successful streaming media company in Netflix.  I see why they closed down Lucky Peach.  Follow the $$$$$.

• Like 2

On 2/25/2018 at 10:31 AM, Rhone1998 said:

I really enjoyed the first episode.  One of the more interesting moments to me was watching one of them fold a slice of Neapolitan pizza, a method which made me realize why people might not mind the "soggy" interior of this type of pie as much as I usually do -- they cut a wedge then folded the innermost portion back toward the crust, then made anothr fold perpendicular to the first with the crust itself, creating a nice dry pocket to consume the whole thing.  Did anyone else notice this?

I saw that. I've lived in Italy and I never once saw anyone do that, for what it's worth. 

Glad people brought this up - really enjoyed the whole first season. Will definitely tune in for the next if it gets made.

Chang brings up some difficult topics in the culinary world, such chefs striving to have authentic food and the issues of fusion. Additionally, another topic that was interesting to hear was René Redzepi discussing having a single restaurant and Chang's mini empire of restaurants in terms of work/family balance. I'm sure my wife will be happy to hear that Redzepi's wife never cooked anything from Noma's cookbook at home as she is not a fan of that style of cooking. Overall found it an interesting series discussing how to continue their evolutionary journey as Chang/Meehan did with restaurants and magazine respectively. 

I only have watched two episodes, but I really like it.  I loved learning about the history of al pastor tacos and tacos arabes.  There are just some hilarious lines too.  Chang definitely has his own personality, but I think he is very honest about it.  I was cracking up wondering if the taco joint with the guys sticker on it, knew they were serving him, probably, they knew something was going on with the tv cameras.  Those crispy tacos looked amazing.  I liked the conversation with Rosio Sanchez about her career.  I find a lot of the show really fun.

• Like 2

The NOLA episode is so cool...

A truly meta food - Cajun crawfish goes to Houston, Vietnamese immigrants spice it up and create Viet-Cajun style, then Houston Vietnamese immigrate back to Vietnam and make Viet-Viet-Cajun Crawfish...

A beautiful episode. Chang is super liberal and some of his talk will be a bit cloying / irritating to folks but ignore that part and watch and learn about truly international cuisine. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Simul Parikh said:

A truly meta food - Cajun crawfish goes to Houston, Vietnamese immigrants spice it up and create Viet-Cajun style, then Houston Vietnamese immigrate back to Vietnam and make Viet-Viet-Cajun Crawfish...

A beautiful episode. Chang is super liberal and some of his talk will be a bit cloying / irritating to folks but ignore that part and watch and learn about truly international cuisine. 

And now the Vietnamese chef featured is opening her “Vie-jun” restaurant in Houston. Super cool. 

I agree with you, mostly because I don’t understand the appeal of Italian food.  Maybe i’ve just never had really good Italian food, it’s all been sort of “meh” (now, I’m not talking about raw ingredients, I’ve had great prosciutto, olives, bread, but most pasta dishes leave me cold).

1 hour ago, thistle said:

I agree with you, mostly because I don’t understand the appeal of Italian food.  Maybe i’ve just never had really good Italian food, it’s all been sort of “meh” (now, I’m not talking about raw ingredients, I’ve had great prosciutto, olives, bread, but most pasta dishes leave me cold).

Take a flight to Bologna. Eat three pasta meals. I’ve got a bottle of wine waiting for our discussion. Great Italian is precisely those raw ingredients assembled and served. 

I think the takeaway away I got from that episode though is that there’s an inherent bias that prevents even great Asian food from charging similar prices as Western cuisines in the States.

Great food is worth more in my book. Can’t say I’m a huge fan of soup dumplings but I’ll definitely pay up for chef driven Asian cuisine. 

On 3/24/2018 at 8:40 AM, Simul Parikh said:

I just read a great review of a bar not far from my house that serves Viet-Cajun crawfish on the weekends.  I had them at the cook-off mentioned in the article and can vouch for the quality.  In line with the themes discussed in the episode, the chef making this delicious Vietnamese-Cajun mashup is a "Houstonian of Iranian-Jewish and Mexican extraction." 

• Like 1