Ericandblueboy

Amazon Prime v. Netflix - Advantages and Disadvantages of Each

Do you have one or the other or both?  I have Netflix.  Have had it for years.  Never had Amazon Prime, now considering adding it.  Other than free 2 day shipping from Amazon, what does Prime get me that I've been missing out on?

Do you want to watch movies, or original programming? Amazon has more movies; Netflix has more original programming.

I have absolutely no guilt having an Amazon account, and having a friend with a Netflix account.

Amazon Prime is (or has been) good for shopping. What you'll find is that, despite your membership, you end up paying $3.99 per film - *that* is annoying.

The more people who respond, the better, because it's very hard for any given individual to say which is better - community anecdotes will help sort this out.

This topic will end up either in Film or TV - I'm not sure which way it will go.

6 hours ago, Ericandblueboy said:

Amazon is purely streaming?  You’re saying Amazon has more movies available for streaming? But you have to pay for each film?

Amazon is a combination of iTunes (for movies and TV) and Netflix.  Some are free for streaming, others are available for rental or purchase.  Our house generally uses Netflix for streaming, but grabs movies and shows not available on Netflix on Amazon Prime.  Amazon is also starting to develop original content and some of the shows are doing well critically - and are fun to watch.  The TV critic could point you to several, but the only one on the top of my head is Orphan Black.

That being said, the purpose of Amazon Prime in our house is that we never have time to go shopping, so for us, the streaming is just a throw-in.  Just in the last week, we've ordered a lego set, ink cartridges, Luna bars, and a few other things.  Amazon is no longer more expensive than stores for most items - in fact it's our low cost alternative unless we're willing to schlep out somewhere deeper in the burbs often - and if you've got a Prime membership, you're essentially getting delivery for free.  

• Like 1

We have both, but we have Amazon Prime because for us it is cheaper than always finagling the free shipping options.  We order general household items off Amazon.  BUT Hubby would have gotten it for the Grand Tour alone if we didn't have it and I think they have better movies.  I watch original shows and I watch movies on Amazon.  We watch on Amazon- The Man in the High Castle, The Grand Tour, we just started Jean Claude Van Johnson (completely stupid, but stupid in a good way), Zelda and Good Girls Revolt (although we were mad there was only one season of each of those), Alpha House as their original programming, and then lots of movies.  Amazon wasn't as good before with original programming, but is getting better.  We also watch a lot of Netflix.  We stopped having cable, although recently it was cheaper for us to have a basic cable plan than not so now we have it again.  We also share our netflix with our family and we watch it at my Mom's house in GC that doesn't have cable (and I think the Apple TV is linked to our Amazon account up there too), we watch Netflix a fair amount, mainly because I don't watch a huge amount of tv, and am pretty happy to watch an episode of something silly like animal airport when I want to watch TV.  I am not really vested in anything at the moment.  We also have HBO, but to be honest, it has gotten weaker in its offerings that I really like.

4 hours ago, zgast said:

Amazon is a combination of iTunes (for movies and TV) and Netflix.  Some are free for streaming, others are available for rental or purchase.  Our house generally uses Netflix for streaming, but grabs movies and shows not available on Netflix on Amazon Prime.  Amazon is also starting to develop original content and some of the shows are doing well critically - and are fun to watch.  The TV critic could point you to several, but the only one on the top of my head is Orphan Black.

That being said, the purpose of Amazon Prime in our house is that we never have time to go shopping, so for us, the streaming is just a throw-in.  Just in the last week, we've ordered a lego set, ink cartridges, Luna bars, and a few other things.  Amazon is no longer more expensive than stores for most items - in fact it's our low cost alternative unless we're willing to schlep out somewhere deeper in the burbs often - and if you've got a Prime membership, you're essentially getting delivery for free.  

I may not be paying *the* lowest prices, but Amazon Prime is my go-to place for routine purchases.

Back to movies: One nice thing about Google search is if you type, for example, "Moonlight streaming" (without quotes) into Google, it will give you a list of services currently streaming the film. Amazon Prime often adds $1 for HD, which I find annoying, but so it goes.

1 hour ago, DonRocks said:

I may not be paying *the* lowest prices, but Amazon Prime is my go-to place for routine purchases.

Every once in awhile I compare prices between Amazon Prime and Target. Usually Amazon Prime sells what I want for about the same price. Even if something I want is a couple of dollars more on Amazon Prime, I usually buy it there since it's worth the extra price not to make a special trip to Target only to be unable to locate what I'm looking for or to find that the item is sold out. I hate all the packaging that comes with Amazon purchases, but most of it gets reused or recycled. The only brick and mortar stores I visit regularly are Costco (because there's one 2 miles from me) and Giant. If Amazon Prime, Costco, and Giant don't have what I'm looking for I think long and hard about whether I really need the item.

I probably watch more Netflix than Amazon, but Amazon's original programming is indeed pretty good. I've heard great things about Mozart in the Jungle and Transparent, but I haven't watched either yet. My husband (and a lot of other people) loved The Man in the High Castle, but it wasn't really my cup of tea. I really enjoyed Bosch and Catastrophe. You don't have to pay for all movies on Amazon -- the ones designated as Prime are free to Prime members.

My brother is a big fan of Amazon Music. I haven't used it. My husband is the one with the Prime membership and I'm part of his "household." From what I understand, only the actual Prime member has access to certain benefits, and Amazon Music is one of those benefits that I don't have access to.

I use Netflix much more than Amazon Prime. The movies that AP offers for free pretty much suck. I don't really find that the AP streaming is much of a benefit to being a Primer. There's a lot I like about Netflix, but why can't they come up with more new stuff? I check the latest releases and there's like 5 more movies than there was in the previous month. Whoop-dee-doo.

Agree with shopping using Amazon.  My wife said that we can get unlimited cloud storage with Prime.  next on my list to look into.

4 hours ago, Al Dente said:

There's a lot I like about Netflix, but why can't they come up with more new stuff?

They're really pushing their original programming now. Ninety percent of what's on my home page is Netflix original programming (or content they're slapping the "original" label on, like Babylon Berlin).

I use the Amazon music streaming thats included in Prime a lot.  Generally I listen to playlists or stations for pop, electronic and dance.  I find the playlists/stations repetitive, for example if you listen to top pop and top dance a lot of the music is shared.  I don't know if thats reflective of what people dance to these days or if it just reflects a limited "free" catalog.  But I continue to listen to it since it doesn't have ads and I'm already paying for it.  I do explore pandora and google pay stations at times but end up on Amazon most of the time.

Movie wise we don't get to much to watch because my wife checks out every new movie found at the Arlington Library via the library hold system so its hard to find new movies.  I've only watched about two series of the Amazon produced shows but they were good.

Hey everybody! Some of you may remember me. Herschel,  long-time, prolific, and argumentative contributer since the beginning. I've been away for quite some time, mostly in an abyss of painful solitude. I'll share the stories some time soon.

I'd like to encourage your good thoughts for Don Rockwell, currently in his own abyss. He may share the details, or not. Send him private messages of sympathy and encouragement, please, and I hope Don doesn't mind my having said this.

Back to Amazon: As I say, I've been away for a long time, and now I find that the "library" of hundreds of songs and other stuff that used to get sent to my Amazon Prime library within minutes of my having ordered them, whether on CD or DVD (which come in a couple of days) is nowhere to be found.

I loved this feature; it was the best thing about a prime membership. Does anyone know happened to it? Has it grown a long beard and fled into the mountains to live out its days as a pious hermit?

....and what does it make when the sea is calm? --- M. Verdoux

12 hours ago, The Hersch said:

As I say, I've been away for a long time, and now I find that the "library" of hundreds of songs and other stuff that used to get sent to my Amazon Prime library within minutes of my having ordered them, whether on CD or DVD (which come in a couple of days) is nowhere to be found. I loved this feature; it was the best thing about a prime membership. Does anyone know ppened to it? Has it grown a long beard and fled into the mountains to live out its days as a pious hermit?

Sorry about the screwed-up color scheme here. This crappy software won[t stop doing it.

....and what does it make when the sea is calm? --- M. Verdoux

If you go to your account on the main page (where your name is) you should have a dropdown box- your content has your books, your music has your music and your videos should have your videos?  Does it not?

This all seems so modern, but it's really just a throwback to the old Sears & Roebuck catalogs.

14 hours ago, ktmoomau said:

If you go to your account on the main page (where your name is) you should have a dropdown box- your content has your books, your music has your music and your videos should have your videos?  Does it not?

Phew! Yes it do. Did crappy old Amazon which now rules the world jointly, with Google (who'd a thought?), always make it so fiendishly hard to find? Are they trying to hide? Why I was looking in the first place was Chaplin's Limelight. I ordered a copy labeled "multimedia" 2 or 3 days ago and it still hasn't appeared in my cloud storage

10 hours ago, The Hersch said:

Phew! Yes it do. Did crappy old Amazon which now rules the world jointly, with Google (who'd a thought?), always make it so fiendishly hard to find? Are they trying to hide? Why I was looking in the first place was Chaplin's Limelight. I ordered a copy labeled "multimedia" 2 or 3 days ago and it still hasn't appeared in my cloud storage

I think they likely made it hard to find on purpose, not sure what the purpose is, but it seemed to be a purposeful move.

"Accidents at Amazon: Workers Left To Suffer after Warehouse Injuries" by Michael Sainato on theguardian.com

It's getting harder and harder for me to justify having anything to do with Amazon.  I have a co-worker who worked in an Amazon warehouse through college.  He goes out of his way to avoid using Amazon and has dozens of stories about how badly people injured or even killed on the job with zero repercussion to Amazon.  It's a above the law company that is buying its way into a bigger and bigger share of the media market.  

• Thanks 1