As I am learning, and digging in deep in to the folklore of the Pennsylvania Dutch, I recently learned of the mud sale. I have yet to go to one, but am fascinated by this group of humans and their semi colonial ways. In the short time I have spent in Lancaster, I have become rather smitten with it. There is so much to learn, as well as explore in Lancaster. With each interaction I have with both locals, as well as transplants, it all creates a rather vibrant quilt . 

There are spots that I have wandered into that I am hesitant on sharing for fear it may lose its local charm and be overpopulated with tourists. Although at the same time I want to shout from the rooftop that Lancaster is filled with art, culture, and dining spots that are worthy of media accolades. I suppose while learning about the locals, I will learn what to share, and when to keep my lips sealed. After all the best kept secrets of any city are best discovered on your own,or  perhaps with a hint of print. 

Stay curious,

kat

• Like 2

Here is a listing of the remaining mud sales for the year. I had a chance to attend one this past winter, and you can purchase just about anything through auction. The one I attended was in Manheim, and it was incredible. Several Amish & Mennonite made goods ranging from freshly fried donuts to BBQ to bails of hay as well as a boat up for grabs. If you want to  see them in a social setting, I highly encourage you to attend one.  I wanted to hold conversations with the local folk, but they smiled at me politely, and nodded. Perhaps next visit they may indulge me. 

June 28 - 29 - Refton Fire Company Sale

Refton Volunteer Fire Co., 99 Church Street, Refton, PA 17568, 717-786-9462

June 27 - 28 - Lancaster County Carriage and Antique Auction

Bird-in-Hand Volunteer Fire Company - Location: Across from the Bird-in-Hand Family Restaurant on Route 340, 313 Enterprise Drive, Bird-in-Hand, PA 17505, 717-392-011

August 10 - 11 - Gap Relief Auction

Benefits Mennonite Central Committee, Solanco Fairgrounds, 172 S. Lime Street, Quarryville, PA 17566

August 17 - Intercourse Fire Company Consignment Auction

Intercourse Fire Company, 10 North Hollander Road, Intercourse, PA 17534, 717-768-3402

August 24 - Bareville Fire Company Consignment Auction

Bareville Volunteer Fire Company, 211 East Main Street, Leola, PA 17540, 717-656-7554

September 21 - Gordonville Fall Sale & Auction

Gordonville Fire Co., Old Leacock Road, Gordonville, PA 17566, 717-768-3869

October 26 - Cochranville Fire Company Mud Sale

Cochranville Volunteer Fire Company, 3135 Limestone Road, Cochranville, PA 19330, 610-593-5800

Stay curious,

kat

On 3/12/2018 at 12:56 PM, curiouskitkatt said:

There are spots that I have wandered into that I am hesitant on sharing for fear it may lose its local charm and be overpopulated with tourists. Although at the same time I want to shout from the rooftop that Lancaster is filled with art, culture, and dining spots that are worthy of media accolades. I suppose while learning about the locals, I will learn what to share, and when to keep my lips sealed. After all the best kept secrets of any city are best discovered on your own,or  perhaps with a hint of print. 

Katt -- As a former Lancastrian who assiduously avoided the tourist throngs, my suggestion is to hit the volunteer fire halls in the autumn. Tourist traffic tends to wane after the school year begins, and the volunteer fire halls usually have the best food in the autumn, with or without a mud sale. The chicken corn soup on the eastern side of Lancaster County is absolutely spectacular, and the shoo-fly pies are homemade.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kibbee Nayee said:

Katt -- As a former Lancastrian who assiduously avoided the tourist throngs, my suggestion is to hit the volunteer fire halls in the autumn. Tourist traffic tends to wane after the school year begins, and the volunteer fire halls usually have the best food in the autumn, with or without a mud sale. The chicken corn soup on the eastern side of Lancaster County is absolutely spectacular, and the shoo-fly pies are homemade.

Thank you, @Kibbee Nayee!!

I love chicken corn soup, especially ones that contain little rivels. I find a lot of the spots in Lancaster that spotlight the Amish, a bit touristy, but theirs lies the challenge in exploring Old Lancaster. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, curiouskitkatt said:

Thank you, @Kibbee Nayee!!

I love chicken corn soup, especially ones that contain little rivels. I find a lot of the spots in Lancaster that spotlight the Amish, a bit touristy, but theirs lies the challenge in exploring Old Lancaster. 

Chicken corn soup is one of the more delicious and defining dishes that Lancaster has gifted our world. (If you try making it at home, a good substitute for the rivels would be spaetzle.)

Think of those autumn festivals, which are designed to be mini-Octoberfests in that they showcase the finest ingredients from the harvest season, and also as fundraisers for the local volunteer fire companies. The best of best of the corn, and the best of the best of the chickens, are brought together for a celebratory feast. I typically buy at least two gallons of chicken corn soup from the Lampeter fire hall festival, and freeze one gallon. The other gallon is devoured the same day.

• Like 1