Deac

Mike Isabella and Partners Sued for "Extraordinary'" Sexual Harrassment

On 5/8/2018 at 10:26 PM, Pool Boy said:

When you settle, it is pretty much admitting guilt. Pretty much.

I’m late to this, but what a silly, totally incorrect statement for any number of reasons. Pretty much.

10 hours ago, RWBooneJr said:

This is almost always incorrect.  Your insurer generally has the right to settle whether you want to or not.  Liability obviously factors into the insurer's valuation of a case, but it is only one consideration.  Often, litigation costs factor in more.  Even at insurance defense rates, this type of litigation will cost the insurer anywhere between $200k to over seven figures to get to a defense verdict.  The insurer wants to discourage nuisance suits and plaintiffs always start out with an overly optimistic idea of what a case is worth, so most cases will get pretty far along before settlement is even a possibility.  But, after a point, if the insurer knows that the remainder of the litigation will cost more than the plaintiff wants to settle the case, it will settle.  And that settlement is nothing more than a business transaction.

So what the insurer is admitting to in forcing their insured party is that there is enough meat on the bone to make it go long and cost a lot. So there's something there. Maybe not absolute guilt but enough uncertainty that the insurance company doesn't want the exposure. The business transaction is on the part of the insurance company, not the insured that is being sued, at least in part.

Given the number of people that have come forward and the details the Washington Post was able to dig up, you have to admit there is a mess here and at the core is Isabella.

[Valid and legitimate points made on all sides, but to avoid drifting off-topic, I think it's best if we give this a rest, just for a little while.

(It's a delicate balance between free speech, censorship, and preventing everyone from killing each other!)]  😦

Cheer,
Sue

I'm not trying to be a rabble rouser, but it's *amazing* how much this storm seems to have been weathered - I mean, after the sharks were circling, they all just ... dispersed.

On 7/13/2018 at 4:16 PM, DonRocks said:

I'm not trying to be a rabble rouser, but it's *amazing* how much this storm seems to have been weathered - I mean, after the sharks were circling, they all just ... dispersed.

Or not.

14 hours ago, Pool Boy said:

Yawn.

Actually, I'll put my 2cents in and say that, although you are/were seem to be correct in this case, your generality doesn't really stand up for another reason (other than RWBooneJr's, which I also agree with).  That is, there are quite a # of folks who take pleas and/or settle even though they know they are not guilty simply because they don't believe that they have the resources to win.   Sometimes its "better" to not take a chance in our system.

• Like 1

"Chef Mike Isabella: 'I Probably Should Have Apologized Earlier'" by Neal Augenstein on wtop.com

“There’s nobody who’s untouchable. Even myself. Everyone has to be held accountable for their actions,” he said.

As he tries to win back public trust and popularity, after months of denying problems in his restaurants, Isabella said “I’ve definitely had time to think about everything — I’ve definitely grown a lot.”

On 9/23/2018 at 1:27 PM, DonRocks said:
1 hour ago, Ericandblueboy said:

I'm a little surprised that nobody commented that within the first 30 seconds of the Fox 5 interview, he mentioned his "fans" - I didn't watch the whole interview, but to me, that screamed, "I'm here for the wrong reason."

This whole notion of "celebrity chefs" has become ridiculous, and needs to be retired. The irony is that this website, yes, this website you're reading right now, was the first one in the world to consistently highlight chefs de cuisine, GMs, sous chefs, sommeliers, etc., i.e., the individuals behind every restaurant, rather than the restaurants themselves (if you don't believe that, go back to 2005 and see for yourselves) - and I've busted my rear end to do it, too. I stand by that philosophy, but only because there's a direct correlation between these individuals and restaurant quality, hence diner enjoyment (this is also why I don't ascribe more than one restaurant to any one chef (exceptions being physically proximal places like Komi and Little Serow, Métier and Kinship, Pineapple and Pearls and Rose's Luxury, etc)).

With that in mind, I look forward to the day when I have my first fan.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DonRocks said:

You've clearly got a bunch of fans on the website and in the industry.  Just don't expect me to throw you a pair of my underwear.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, zgast said:

You've clearly got a bunch of fans on the website and in the industry.  

Not fans; compadres.

19 hours ago, DonRocks said:

I'm a little surprised that nobody commented that within the first 30 seconds of the Fox 5 interview, he mentioned his "fans" - I didn't watch the whole interview, but to me, that screamed, "I'm here for the wrong reason."

This whole notion of "celebrity chefs" has become ridiculous, and needs to be retired. The irony is that this website, yes, this website you're reading right now, was the first one in the world to consistently highlight chefs de cuisine, GMs, sous chefs, sommeliers, etc., i.e., the individuals behind every restaurant, rather than the restaurants themselves (if you don't believe that, go back to 2005 and see for yourselves) - and I've busted my rear end to do it, too. I stand by that philosophy, but only because there's a direct correlation between these individuals and restaurant quality, hence diner enjoyment (this is also why I don't ascribe more than one restaurant to any one chef (exceptions being physically proximal places like Komi and Little Serow, Métier and Kinship, Pineapple and Pearls and Rose's Luxury, etc)).

Speaking of "celebrity chefs," some of you will find this pathetic/amusing/interesting/not surprising. Anyway, there was once a chef in Boston and New York named Bob Pritsker. He grew up in my neighborhood in RI (he's about 18 years older than me). He and his wife Karen (she ran the front of the house) gained a good bit of notoriety with their French restaurant Dodin-Bouffant in Boston and later NY. Some of you older folks might remember that place. He was unquestionably one of the first celebrity chefs. He was also a lawyer, and might have had an MBA too. Smart guy, unquestionably. He left the cheffing business in the late 80s to do who knows what, but a google search indicates he is quite litigious. It also turned up this:

"72-Year-Old Man Given AR for Passing Buses on the Sidewalk" on thehour.com

They're done.

"Is Mike Isabella Stepping Away from His Restaurant Empire?" by Jessica Sidman and Anna Spigel on washingtonian.com

On 2/24/2018 at 10:53 AM, DonRocks said:

Snarky? If this guy is some artiste who took a few years off to make his fortune, and then returned to his passion after he did it, he's probably the single smartest person I've ever known.

I guess my only response would be, "Are you sure?" and "How do you know?" I have just been stunned into silence.

It says a fair amount about me and my naïveté that I actually bought into this bullshit, even if only briefly.

Ciao, Bella. Spike wins.

(Still waiting to hear from Gina ... 🙃)

On distal issues, I had a decent Paella at Jaléo last night.

Paella.JPG <--- Was better today, after sitting out overnight, and three minutes in the microwave. Lima Beans are underrated as absorption materials.

Ibérico / Tempranillo, not so much.

"Don Rockwell! Why you no call me?!?!"

"Because my long-distance bill is already too high!" 😎😄 <--- Puckering sphincter, awaiting Nastygram in the form of a steel-tipped boot. boot.jpg

I'm kidding! I'm kidding!