"The Train: RFK's Last Journey" - at the San Francisco MOMA, Mar 17 - Jun 10, 2018

DaveO

I only just learned of this exhibit via an article in today's Washington Post.  I recall the day and the TV coverage of the slow mournful movement of this train carry the slain Robert Kennedy from a service in NYC to Washington DC where he was laid to rest in Arlington Cemetery next to his brother.  It was painfully breathtaking.  Millions lined the train tracks from NY to DC all along the route, in every state and small hamlet.  The scenes were haunting.  It was a spontaneous response from people of all walks of life.  

The exhibit is running currently and through June 10 at San Francisco MOMA.  I have no current plans to visit San Fran during this period but if I were I'd visit the museum and the exhibit.  I hope this display travels to other museums.  It was a mournful haunting moment in American history.

• Like 1

Today is the 50th anniversary of Robert Kennedy's Assassination.  It was a few months after Martin Luther King's assassination.  1968 was the year of Urban Riots in DC and other cities, and later in the year there was the contentious violent Democratic National Convention in Chicago. Overseas the enormous Tet Offensive in Vietnam changed the profile of that war.  Calling it a tumultuous year is an understatement.

An article in the Post describes the lightly covered last flight of Robert Kennedy from LA to NYC where his memorial service was held.  Coretta Scott King and Jacqueline Kennedy, two more widows of leaders, flew to Los Angeles to connect with Ethel Kennedy on the flight back to NY.  The story brought tears to my eyes.