Much has been written about Bestia, the rustic Italian restaurant in LA's Arts District.  It proved a tough, but not impossible, reservation to snag with some planning.  After a soul-wrenching drive through LA's Skid Row you arrive at a dead-end street (E. 7th PL) and a sea of hipsters in a mostly industrial setting..  It's all good, but it's not cheap.  Among other items we enjoyed the Cavatelli alla Norcina (ricotta dumplings, housemade pork sausage, black truffles, grana padano) and the Spaghetti Rustichella (dungeness crab, citrus, calabrian chili, thai basil, onion seed).  We never eat dessert, but were talked into a rhubarb & frangipane crostata with raspberry glaze, and with housemade buttermilk ricotta ice cream on the side.  We were glad we did as it was a strong offering and not too sweet.  Kinda looks like a faux pizza slice.  There was a lot we did not try here, so there is good reason to return.

I've been here a couple times and really like it.  The second time, we sat next to Common.  It is striking driving through Skid Row to end up here. 

They have a wood fired grill as a well as wood fired oven, which are fun to watch and both producing good eats.  I have fond memories of a lobster crostino on grilled bread and the pork tomahawk.  They also have an interesting by the glass program, from which I particularly enjoyed an Erbaluce and Kali Kovek.. 

• Like 1