dcs

Podcasts - What Are Your Favorites?

Food podcasts:  The Feed podcast with Rick Bayless & Steve Dolinsky

Drink Podcasts:  Bartender Journey by Brian Weber;  Modern BarCart with Eric Kozlik

Other:  Productivity Alchemy by Kevin Sonney

I listen to "Good Food on the Road" , with the LA Times food critic Jonathan Gold.  They are very short, usually a review of one restaurant. He has a gift of evocative language about food, it makes me very jealous of the LA food scene, especially Korean, Japanese and Mexican cuisine.

I like some BBC stuff for culture.  Most often "In Our Time", which covers a topic of history or culture for an hour with posh sounding British academics.

For music, I like La Montana Rusa , which is in Spanish, so I don't understand most of the dialog, but the music he plays is cool, if you like jazz.  Incidentally, it means "The Russian Mountain," which is what spanish and french call roller coasters, based on early russian sled rides.  Fun fact, when the 'real' motorized roller coasters came to russia, the called them 'american mountains.'

• Thanks 1

Just finished PITCH podcast by Audible.

https://www.pitchpodcast.org/about/

It frames itself as a podcast about music, but I disagree. I think it's about culture and history as much as (if not more than) music. Especially enjoyed Blacklist and the final one, Blue Skies. Blue Skies is as much philosophy as anything else. 

On 4/26/2018 at 10:50 AM, Simul Parikh said:

Speaking of anesthesiologists, "Dirty John" is a serialized true crime/mystery with the villain being an anesthesiologist. It's really good, too. 

WOW. I did not see this end coming. Thanks for the recommendation. It's a true story that "listens" like a fast-paced noir fiction.  

I don't normally listen to podcasts, but am interested in Racist Sandwich after hearing about it.

I have been into Ear Hustle.  Just completed the second season.  Each episode deals with a different aspect of Prison Life at San Quentin.

• Like 2

Earlier this year Planet Money had an interesting podcast about vodka and the power of marketing.  For those who prefer to read their podcasts, you can find some of the transcript at Is There Really A Difference Between Expensive Vodka And Cheap Vodka? by Dan Pashman on npr.org.

27 C.F.R. § 5.22(a)(1) provides:

“Vodka” is neutral spirits so distilled, or so treated after distillation with charcoal or other materials, as to be without distinctive character, aroma, taste, or color.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dcs said:

Earlier this year Planet Money had an interesting podcast about vodka and the power of marketing.  For those who prefer to read their podcasts, you can find some of the transcript at Is There Really A Difference Between Expensive Vodka And Cheap Vodka? by Dan Pashman on npr.org.

Oh man.  That story is rich.  thanks for sharing.

On 7/30/2018 at 4:33 PM, pras said:

I have been into Ear Hustle.  Just completed the second season.  Each episode deals with a different aspect of Prison Life at San Quentin.

I loved this one, thanks for the rec! Super thoughtful and interesting.. definitely something different.

On 8/22/2018 at 12:44 PM, dcs said:

When my husband was in grad school and I was underemployed, we did an experiment. We purchased a nice bottle of vodka (can't remember which one) and one cheap bottle. I ran the cheap stuff through a britta filter once and another portion, 5 times. We conducted a taste test. Unfiltered cheap vodka is obviously that. The 5 times britta filtered vodka won over the premium (participants thought that was the premium vodka). Filtered once wasn't bad.

Since these were all MBA students, they decided that the product that produced the most value was cheap vodka filtered once. (cost of britta and my time included).

The sample size was about 20 people. Filtering vodka once is pretty quick but every other filtering renders the britta more and more sluggish. I think it might have taken minutes the first time and maybe 30 minutes or more per time after that.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, NolaCaine said:

A McArthur Genius award winner explains why the Y chromosome matters. Currently, I don't know that information (and that is not a political statement).

Come on!

12 hours ago, DonRocks said:

Come on!

Obviously, I understand the obvious (make a fetus male, regulates puberty, manages T through the life) but it does more than that and that research only started in the 1980s. Crazy right?

On 7/12/2018 at 6:58 AM, NolaCaine said:

WOW. I did not see this end coming. Thanks for the recommendation. It's a true story that "listens" like a fast-paced noir fiction.  

Dirty John will now be a posdcast with a visual component DaveO!  Friendly kidding....Seriously, miniseries on Bravo. I must watch it.

• Haha 2

The third season of Serial is pretty good. It's about the criminal justice system in one courthouse in Cleveland. I love criminal law (if not for that whole litigation thing I might be a criminal lawyer), so I find it especially interesting.

• Like 1