OBI Sushi, Reston Town Center

You are not going to like what I say. It is one of those places where you go to be seen.When I went it was loud and obnoxious in there. Service was not personable. Sushi is okay, but not noteworthy. For great sushi nearby, try Hama Sushi in Herndon at the Clock Tower.

My girlfriend and I have been there two or threee times. Of the appetizers, the tempura is perfectly competent, if not memorable, the eggplant dengaku is amazing, the asparagus and avocado salad is good enough to be worth ordering again, the gyoza was not worth ordering again, and the sushi was fine, but not exceptional. We really just go for that eggplant dish.

My brother has invited me out to Obi Sushi in the Reston Town tonight for RW. Anyone ever been? Comments?

http://www.obisushi.com/

I can't avow for the scenester rating of the place, since the +1 and I only ever go during the week. Service can indeed be spotty, especially if one is not padding one's bill with the purchase of alcoholic beverages.

The sushi is good but better can definitely be had (and often for cheaper) elsewhere. The real attraction would be the not-sushi menu items such as the Obi Shiru.

Last night my brother and I dined here on the RW menu. The blurb was we would be wowed and amazed. Well I believe the thread posts to date are right on. The RW special was a octopus salad, that consisted of a handful of greens, 4 small piecies of octopus skin (which may have been squid) and a dressing. Pretty boring. The entree was a Bento Box that had three small lamb chops, some overdone grill snapper, 2 shrimp tempori, and 3 pieces of so so sushi. Dessert was out of a box a mango tear drop that was a bit tasteless. Service was cheerful and great, food was ok, nothing special. The funny thing was, being a chef choice, I saw other dinners with the exact same uncreative meal.

Two and a half years since the last post?

Girlfriend and I dropped about $200 on an all-out sushi feast (with plenty of wine) last night, because PassionFish was closed on Sunday night. PassionFish was our original destination, so we regrouped. I wouldn't eat at Jackson's at gunpoint (the GAR restaurants are barely a step above Applebees) and Mon Ami Gabi is, well, just another Reston Town Center chain.

It was reasonably good. Service was friendly if sporadic, the fish was fresh, and the dragon and spider rolls merited seconds of each. We ordered fresh wasabi too, and it was a treat compared to the green-dyed horse radish that normally accompanies a sushi platter.

Overall, not bad, and not great, but worth another visit.