Jump to content

Ice Cream Jubilee, Victoria Lai's Local Ice-Cream Parlor Chain in Several Area Locations


Recommended Posts

It's such a beautiful day, and probably the last one for eating ice cream outside this year, that I decided to use up some of my ice cream allotment on a walk down to Yards Park for an ice cream lunch at Ice Cream Jubilee.  I also figured it might make me feel better about my city and neighborhood again.  And it did, for a while.  I sat outside and ate my banana bourbon caramel scoop in a cup ($3.25...ouch).  It had a little granularity/icing, but overall was satisfying ice cream.  The spicing was interesting.  Maybe cinnamon and nutmeg?  The view over the water was beautiful.  Then I walked home to the sound of police sirens and a nearby noontime gun robbery.  Good mood ruined.  Not the ice cream shop's fault.  I'll be heading back next summer. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DaRiv18 said:

Finally made it to Jeni's.  It is excellent ice cream, and that is all you really need to know.  Dolcezza, 2 Amy's, Trickling Springs, Pitango -- very different styles. 

Getting a scoop at the 14th Street location really beats my experience of buying a $8 pint at Whole Foods, which had some freezer burn and had a totally different texture.  Ditto for Dolcezza and Trickling Springs, at times. 

But for ice cream in DC, instead of trying to rank them on quality, it's more style.  I would create the traditional-experimental spectrum as Trickling Springs, Pitango, Jeni's, 2 Amy's, Dolcezza

Don't quite understand in what way 2 Amys is "experimental."  Also, try Jubilee, just around the corner from Jeni's -- I think it's slightly better (and slightly cheaper).

Link to post
Share on other sites

I will check Jubilee out. 2 Amy’s can take on non traditional flavor profiles is all. I had a delicious amaro ice cream last month. It is a nimble ice cream program there, they don’t commit to any flavor from what I can tell. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, DaRiv18 said:

I will check Jubilee out. 2 Amy’s can take on non traditional flavor profiles is all. I had a delicious amaro ice cream last month. It is a nimble ice cream program there, they don’t commit to any flavor from what I can tell. 

That sounds like the second location of Ice Cream Jubilee, which first opened at Navy Yard several years ago. I can sometimes find their pints for sale in stores, but it's unpredictable. Their ice cream is good, though I've had some over-icing issues a couple of times. Typically, though, very good.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Pat said:

That sounds like the second location of Ice Cream Jubilee, which first opened at Navy Yard several years ago. I can sometimes find their pints for sale in stores, but it's unpredictable. Their ice cream is good, though I've had some over-icing issues a couple of times. Typically, though, very good.

The over-icing is most likely a function of poor transportation, handling, or storage - when things melt, and then re-freeze, that's when I've noticed crystals - the ingredients used might also be a contributing factor, but that, in-and-of-itself, isn't a reason to ding them. 

For mass-produced, store-bought ice cream, Jeni's is my favorite, and I don't recall having tried Jubilee; so my comment above is definitely not a criticism of this product - the comment is generic, and may not even be correct.

Ice Cream Jubilee is also coming to Ballson. Who knows? Maybe Ice Cream Jubilee will become our local version of Jeni's?

Screenshot 2018-05-29 at 11.14.28.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

I really like Ice Cream Jubilee, and it will be an excellent addition to Ballston.  The Coconut Lychee Lime, Thai Iced Tea, and Banana Bourbon Caramel are very good, and I love the smell that comes from their fresh-made waffle cones. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On May 29, 2018 at 11:10 AM, DonRocks said:

The over-icing is most likely a function of poor transportation, handling, or storage - when things melt, and then re-freeze, that's when I've noticed crystals - the ingredients used might also be a contributing factor, but that, in-and-of-itself, isn't a reason to ding them. 

For mass-produced, store-bought ice cream, Jeni's is my favorite, and I don't recall having tried Jubilee; so my comment above is definitely not a criticism of this product - the comment is generic, and may not even be correct.

Ice Cream Jubilee is also coming to Ballson. Who knows? Maybe Ice Cream Jubilee will become our local version of Jeni's?

Screenshot 2018-05-29 at 11.14.28.png

Just returned from a very disappointing trip to Jubilee at Ballston. Four of us ordered different flavors and all agreed that the ice cream was icy, lacking in flavor and creaminess. Perhaps poor handling but tasted more like ice milk or even Halo.

We really like Jeni's- right amount of flavor, creaminess and coldness when scooped at the shop. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, naxos said:

Just returned from a very disappointing trip to Jubilee at Ballston. Four of us ordered different flavors and all agreed that the ice cream was icy, lacking in flavor and creaminess. Perhaps poor handling but tasted more like ice milk or even Halo.

We really like Jeni's- right amount of flavor, creaminess and coldness when scooped at the shop. 

The Co-Work space in Clarendon (formerly Boccatto) continues to put out tasty creamy gelato.  A Small is 2 scoops (@$5.00) I had espresso and peanut butter  scoops last week and the flavors were intense

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...