Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Thinking of going to the Rockville location of Peter Chang this evening before being sequestered at the Courtyard Mariott for a weekend of everything the Catholic Church wants us to know about being married. Would this be our best bet for Chinese food or would Sichuan Jin River, China Bistro, Bob's Shanghai or Shanghai Taste work better?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't say that there's a clear "best" option among PC, Jin River, and China Bistro.  They're very good at fairly different things.  PC dishes are more creative in general, while Jin River tends to excel at home-style dishes (though PC has them too).  I'd go to China Bistro only if you want dumplings or noodles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, silentbob said:

I wouldn't say that there's a clear "best" option among PC, Jin River, and China Bistro.  They're very good at fairly different things.  PC dishes are more creative in general, while Jin River tends to excel at home-style dishes (though PC has them too).  I'd go to China Bistro only if you want dumplings or noodles.

+1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, eatruneat said:

Thinking of going to the Rockville location this evening before being sequestered at the Courtyard Mariott for a weekend of everything the Catholic Church wants us to know about being married. Would this be our best bet for Chinese food or would Sichuan Jin River, China Bistro, Bob's Shanghai or Shanghai Taste work better?

Don't sleep on Big Wang, which is also close by.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, pras said:

Don't sleep on Big Wang, which is also close by.

When I’m near a big wang, sleeping is the last thing I want to do....

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Rieux said:

When I’m near a big wang, sleeping is the last thing I want to do....

Wah wah wah wahhhhhhhhhhhh ...  But really, the dry saute hot pot is something which can wake me from a deep sleep.  I tell them I want it Ga La, which is supposedly spicier than Ma La.  For sure, they have some more potent green Szechuan Peppercorns which they include.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/1/2018 at 12:05 PM, silentbob said:

I wouldn't say that there's a clear "best" option among PC, Jin River, and China Bistro.  They're very good at fairly different things.  PC dishes are more creative in general, while Jin River tends to excel at home-style dishes (though PC has them too).  I'd go to China Bistro only if you want dumplings or noodles.

On 6/1/2018 at 12:17 PM, zgast said:

+1

Would you say that one of these is more consistent than the others? I get the impression that Chang is the least-consistent of the three (it's also a bit easier to make consistent home-style dishes, and perhaps easier still to make dumplings or noodles).

Hey, what about Joe's Noodle House?

[I think this is a significant-enough topic where it goes in Restaurants and Dining; not Help Needed.]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll defer to others on consistency, because we usually don't eat at any of these places more than once a year.

That said, my parents often get takeout from Jin River for our family dinners (usually to supplement the non-spicy Chinese dishes that my mom is cooking) and I can't recall the food being anything less than good/satisfying.  We haven't been to Joe's Noodle House in a long time only because Jin River is 5 minutes closer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DonRocks said:

Would you say that one of these is more consistent than the others? I get the impression that Chang is the least-consistent of the three (it's also a bit easier to make consistent home-style dishes, and perhaps easier still to make dumplings or noodles).

Hey, what about Joe's Noodle House?

[I think this is a significant-enough topic where it goes in Restaurants and Dining; not Help Needed.]

I've found China Bistro's dumplings to be incredibly consistent.  PC definitely can have an off night - once the dry fried eggplant fell short of transcendent.  I actually haven't been much, though, to PC Rockville since Q opened closer to my house.  Sadly, I haven't been to Joe's Noodle House at all.  Since my new office is in walking distance, though, I intend to correct that in the short term.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/5/2018 at 12:27 PM, zgast said:

I've found China Bistro's dumplings to be incredibly consistent.  PC definitely can have an off night - once the dry fried eggplant fell short of transcendent.  I actually haven't been much, though, to PC Rockville since Q opened closer to my house.  Sadly, I haven't been to Joe's Noodle House at all.  Since my new office is in walking distance, though, I intend to correct that in the short term.

Corrected.  Can't comment on consistency after one visit but my lunch Dan dan noodles were quite good.  Struggling to not fall asleep as the portion size was quite generous.  Will definitely head back again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I eat Chinese in Rockville at least once a week.

Our most common stops are China Bistro (dumplings and small veggie plates), Bob's Shanghai (XLB, siu mei, maybe some salt & pepper fish), and A&J.

We'll mix in Peter Chang's, Joe's, Big Wang, or Jin River when we go with people who want spicy - I'm the only one in the family that wants it normally. That dry hot pot at Big Wang is fantastic, but there are other good things on the menu as well.

Less frequently we'll go to East Pearl (Cantonese), Super Bowl Noodle (pan-Asian noodles, surprisingly good at multiple cuisines), Mandarin Express (Yunan), Shanghai Taste, or Jumbo Jumbo (Taiwanese).

Somewhat related, there's also Riverside Hot Pot, when you're really hungry. Or Iron Age, but that's Korean, not Chinese.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/5/2018 at 12:32 PM, pras said:

What did you think?

We probably should have done the dry hot pot you seem keen on but for many reasons we ended up with hot and sour soup, the stir fried spicy chicken, and the lamb with cumin. The lamb with cumin, with great use of the szechuan peppercorn, was our favorite. The spice in that dish really builds. Chicken had a great flavor but hard to eat with the bone in. Hot and sour soup was sub par and with glass noodles...unlike any other hot and sour soup I have had. 

Due to running late on our part, we had to pack most of the food to go and eat it during the first part of our marriage preparation retreat. Not ideal! But the food was good and we survived the weekend.

Next time...dumplings and noodles, our favorite Chinese eats. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Roughly in order of frequency that we go (usually once a week at one of these places) here are the places I regularly hit:

  • Bob's Shanghai
  • A&J
  • China Bistro
  • Hot Pot Legend
  • East Pearl
  • Xi'an Gourmet
  • Peter Chang's
  • Super Bowl Noodle
  • (when it reopens) Wang Manor [technically Derwood]
  • New Fortune (for dim sum only, technically Gaithersburg)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DanielK said:

Roughly in order of frequency that we go (usually once a week at one of these places) here are the places I regularly hit:

  • Bob's Shanghai
  • A&J
  • China Bistro
  • Hot Pot Legend
  • East Pearl
  • Xi'an Gourmet
  • Peter Chang's
  • Super Bowl Noodle
  • (when it reopens) Wang Manor [technically Derwood]
  • New Fortune (for dim sum only, technically Gaithersburg)

Not a fan of East Dumpling or Taipei Cafe?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ericandblueboy said:

Not a fan of East Dumpling or Taipei Cafe?

Just not on the regular rotation. There are a few things I like at both places, but pretty much only go when that item is the craving.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First tier

East Dumpling {pricey but really good and worth it. Lately the dumplings have been superb}
Shanghai Taste Cafe {go at off hours}
Xi'an Gourmet
Legend Hot Pot

Second tier

Bob's
Joe's Noodle House
K Pot Hot Pot {technically Korean but their hot pot is pretty standard modern hotpot}
LaoMa Spicy {great dry pot or soup pot but build you own can get expensive}

Slightly below second unless you want Hot Pot and KBBQ

Urban Hot pot But Legend has knocked it out of my rotation. I just don't get to Rockville enough to keep it in with Kpot and Legend}

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/31/2019 at 2:07 PM, DanielK said:
  • East Pearl
  • New Fortune (for dim sum only, technically Gaithersburg)

The dim sum only part is critical here--went here a few weeks ago with a large group because I thought it would be easy to get a big table (it was) and it was HORRIBLE!!!!  Haven't been in about a year for dim sum, but have never had issues with the carts!

Went with a big group to East Pearl a few weeks later and it was the opposite experience--they were firing on all cylinders and the food was great.  Side note--they were absolutely packed and it was really really hard to find a parking spot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, deangold said:

LaoMa Spicy {great dry pot or soup pot but build you own can get expensive}

I think this is up there with Big Wang when it comes to dry pot and I agree its expensive (at Big Wang also--can't wait for Wang Manor to open!!).  I was pretty impressed with the soups as well, but was jealous when I saw the table next to me eating a dry pot!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you tried any of the other stations in the food court? Some of the roast meats look good and there are often things on the hot buffet that look OK. But so far, as I have always been solo, I have not tried them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/1/2019 at 3:50 AM, deangold said:

First tier

East Dumpling {pricey but really good and worth it. Lately the dumplings have been superb}
Shanghai Taste Cafe {go at off hours}
Xi'an Gourmet
Legend Hot Pot

Second tier

Bob's
Joe's Noodle House
K Pot Hot Pot {technically Korean but their hot pot is pretty standard modern hotpot}
LaoMa Spicy {great dry pot or soup pot but build you own can get expensive}

Slightly below second unless you want Hot Pot and KBBQ

Urban Hot pot But Legend has knocked it out of my rotation. I just don't get to Rockville enough to keep it in with Kpot and Legend}

I left off Mama's dumplings which could go in the bottom of the first tier or at the top of the second. I mean squarely in the first and a half tier.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/2/2019 at 6:37 PM, deangold said:

Have you tried any of the other stations in the food court? Some of the roast meats look good and there are often things on the hot buffet that look OK. But so far, as I have always been solo, I have not tried them.

I have had an extra crispy duck which was very tasty.  My 9 year old has some of the dim sum offerings and she was happy with them (she doesn't protest when I want to get lunch there on a Saturday!!  which speaks volumes, although, I am not sure it means you would like it!).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...