The Gin and Tonic Project - A Compendium of Its History, Variations, and Locales

dcs

Gin & Tonic.  Such a simple drink, yet the variations in the manner of its preparation and service seem endless.  I am proposing a compendium of these variants to document its history and hopefully provide a guide for those who might be seeking a truly satisfying Gin & Tonic in an unsuspecting place.  Just the facts...  the good, the bad, and the ugly.  Does the tonic come out of the gun or a bottle?  What did it cost?  What is the rail gin?  Aristocrat (Spirits of 76) or Plymouth (Rare Tavern)?  There is a time and place for each.  My suggestion is that the list be limited to examples you actually drank, and not just plucked off a cocktail menu somewhere.

I'll kick it off with the GTF at Baba Cocktail Bar.  Cucumber infused gin (I believe this is done in-house, but honestly I did not see where it came from).  Fever Tree elderflower tonic.  Rose water.  Edible flower petals.  Citrus essence.  Lime.  Glass poured with half of the tonic and you are given the rest of the Fever Tree bottle to mix to your taste.  $11.  A strong offering.

G&T.jpg

---

Gin Recipes - Letting the Gin Take Center Stage (PoolBoy)

• Like 2

That is a great looking drink!!!  Perfect for this weather!!   Lucky me. I'm pretty close, I'll waddle over and try one!!.  Thanks.

I'm not a connoisseur of G&T's.  I drink and like them, especially during warm months.  I've never spent long periods questing after the ever best G&T.  Regardless a few years ago at Corduroy I had a G&T with Bar Hill Gin .   Its a honey infused gin.  I loved it.  I have Bar Hill at home and mix it with various bottled tonics and a lime.  I'm not that particular on the tonics.  I love the gin.

Just checked.  Corduroy evidently no longer carries Bar HIll (its not on the Bar Hill website) but other local bars and restaurants do and you can purchase Bar Hill at various liquor stores in the area.

Caveat:  While I love it, some G&T "experts" pass on it.  The honey infused gin is not to everyone's taste.  (btw:  I have N.E.V.E.R made a G&T as pretty as the one in that photo!!  I'm thirsty right now!!!)

• Like 2

In the same vein as DaveO's response, I thought G&T fans would at least enjoy trying the variant at Rasa if they're in the neighborhood.

The tonic is infused with Indian spices (not sure of the exact blend) and mixed with Green Hat gin.  I've had a couple and enjoyed them.

• Like 1

As discussed elsewhere, Del Mar has a few interesting gin and tonics mixed with Tanqueray N.10 and Fever Tree tonic water for $14 (plus one for $35 that serves two):

BAILANDO ~ Juniper Berries & Cucumber

DIA LIBRE ~ Earl Grey, Rosemary, Lemon

TE QUIERO ~ Lemongrass, Rosemary, Grapefruit, Homemade Tonic

HABLE DE TI ~ Gin Mare, House-Made Tonic, Lime, Cava, Brine Foam, Bay Leaf $35 (serves two)

I rarely order a gin and tonic in a restaurant (I enjoy them more or less but don't get too excited about them in general), but I was intrigued enough to order the Te Quiero a few months ago and enjoyed it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dracisk said:

As discussed elsewhere, Del Mar has a few interesting gin and tonics mixed with Tanqueray N.10 and Fever Tree tonic water for $14 (plus one for $35 that serves two):

BAILANDO ~ Juniper Berries & Cucumber

DIA LIBRE ~ Earl Grey, Rosemary, Lemon

TE QUIERO ~ Lemongrass, Rosemary, Grapefruit, Homemade Tonic

HABLE DE TI ~ Gin Mare, House-Made Tonic, Lime, Cava, Brine Foam, Bay Leaf $35 (serves two)

I rarely order a gin and tonic in a restaurant (I enjoy them more or less but don't get too excited about them in general), but I was intrigued enough to order the Te Quiero a few months ago and enjoyed it.

Just to put this in price perspective.  Bar Hill is a little less expensive than Tanqueray #10.  With a standard size bottle of fever tree from Costco or Target and a healthy 1.5 oz pour of gin your cost at home is about $2.60 - $2.80.  No tax or tip.  (doesn’t include the cost of infusing the gin with other ingredients) but does include a slice of lime, even an organic slice  😄

You are responsible for placing used glasses in the dishwasher.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, DaveO said:

Just to put this in price perspective.  Bar Hill is a little less expensive than Tanqueray #10.  With a standard size bottle of fever tree from Costco or Target and a healthy 1.5 oz pour of gin your cost at home is about $2.60 - $2.80.  No tax or tip.  (doesn’t include the cost of infusing the gin with other ingredients)

You are responsible for placing used glasses in the dishwasher.

I'd say infusing the gin is a barrier for the average person (or maybe it's just me). I've been meaning to infuse tequila with charred jalapenos using my Porthole and just can't seem to get around to it. Also, as I recall, these were pretty generously sized (served in a goblet-type glass). Still, your point is very well taken!

1 hour ago, dracisk said:

I'd say infusing the gin is a barrier for the average person (or maybe it's just me). I've been meaning to infuse tequila with charred jalapenos using my Porthole and just can't seem to get around to it. Also, as I recall, these were pretty generously sized (served in a goblet-type glass). Still, your point is very well taken!

...and I agree.  I did a little of this a while back to become knowledgeable about evolving trends and to learn about the processes.  Haven’t done it since as I’m not in that world.  I did it with some bartenders I know, some of whom are still practicing the art in town.  I’d call the practice a form of liquid cooking.  I suspect in each craft bar in town there are some practitioners.  

I only put the cost out there as a form of perspective.  

• Like 1

On 7/5/2018 at 10:42 AM, DaveO said:

Regardless a few years ago at Corduroy I had a G&T with Bar Hill Gin .   Its a honey infused gin.  I loved it.  I have Bar Hill at home and mix it with various bottled tonics and a lime.  I'm not that particular on the tonics.  I love the gin.

I really like Bar Hill, too. For my Bar Hill G&T, I prefer a wedge of grapefruit, rather than the traditional lime.

• Like 2

On 7/8/2018 at 7:16 PM, dcs said:

Fire Works - Court House, Arlington, VA.  Not Your Granny's  G&T, Because She Drank Straight Vodka.  Bombay Sapphire gin.   Cucumber.   Fever Tree tonic.  Chamomile tea and lemon infused ice cube,.  Lime.  $10.  That's  a bargain.

At Fireworks now to try the Not Your Grannies G&T and watch the game between Croatia and England.  Kill 2 birds with one stone.  To report back later.

BTW:  Science is a demanding master.  I virtually never drink during the day

Ooooh  bend it like Beckham

BOOM BAH   The surprise equalizer!!!!!!

• Like 2

Fire Works - Court House, Arlington, VA.  Not Your Granny's  G&T, Because She Drank Straight Vodka.  Bombay Sapphire gin.   Cucumber.   Fever Tree tonic.  Chamomile tea and lemon infused ice cube,.  Lime.  $10.  That's  a bargain.

In lieu of rating this G&T I need to focus on how I like them and where and when I’ve enjoyed drinking G&T’s as these preferences color my perspective.

I love them in hot weather.  For hot weather my preference is cold beer or a G&T.  Great by a pool, the ocean, a lake picnics and summer barbecues.  Gin plus tonic with lots of ice and citrus is nice against a blazing sun.

I like a LOT OF TONIC!!!!  At a home I tend to have the large 2 liter bottles of tonic.  They are about 68 ounces of liquid which is 10 times those little fever tree bottles.  My home made G&T’s use much more tonic than what is in one of those bottles. 

That killed it for me....but that is me.  The other Arlington specialty G&T’s would also not suffice if the mixer is a  small bottle of fever tree.  I much prefer a better gin with a lot of tonic from a soda gun and  lots of ice plus citrus—lots of citrus in lime lemon or as mentioned above grapefruit.  They all work.

The Fireworks pour was strong either 1 and 3/4 ounce or 2.  If you like it boozy go to Fireworks.

The single ice cube with lemon and infused tea did nothing for me.  Seemed like a “circus trick”. 

At $10 that seems like a good price in today’s specialty cocktail world and it is boozy.  If I were younger I’d drink a lot at Fireworks.  I like those healthy pours

In terms of the gin—that is your preference.   Lot of neat gins out there.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2018 at 7:58 AM, dcs said:

Gin & Tonic.  Such a simple drink, yet the variations in the manner of its preparation and service seem endless.  I am proposing a compendium of these variants to document its history and hopefully provide a guide for those who might be seeking a truly satisfying Gin & Tonic in an unsuspecting place.  Just the facts...  the good, the bad, and the ugly.  Does the tonic come out of the gun or a bottle?  What did it cost?  What is the rail gin?  Aristocrat (Spirits of 76) or Plymouth (Rare Tavern)?  There is a time and place for each.  My suggestion is that the list be limited to examples you actually drank, and not just plucked off a cocktail menu somewhere.

I'll kick it off with the GTF at Baba Cocktail Bar.  Cucumber infused gin (I believe this is done in-house, but honestly I did not see where it came from).  Fever Tree elderflower tonic.  Rose water.  Edible flower petals.  Citrus essence.  Lime.  Glass poured with half of the tonic and you are given the rest of the Fever Tree bottle to mix to your taste.  $11.  A strong offering.

This is similar to what we experienced in Scotland and later London. Same glass, but regular Fever Tree tonic water (always on the side). Lots of ice, the measured pour and that was it.

We were kind of disappointed in most cocktails we ordered in the UK. I am told because...they had no Prohibition?

• Like 1

On 7/12/2018 at 5:46 AM, dcs said:

The Old Raj Gin & Orange Thyme Tonic at Estadio for $14 never fails to satisfy.  Old Raj gin.  Orange peel.  Fresh thyme.  House-made tonic.  One big-ass ice cube.

The G&T variants at Estadio have always been interesting and, more importantly, really good.  I don't think I've ever been in there and not at least started off with one, even when the weather outside is decidedly not G&T-friendly.

• Like 1

The Old Raj Gin & Orange Thyme Tonic at Estadio for $14 never fails to satisfy.  Old Raj gin.  Orange peel.  Fresh thyme.  House-made tonic.  One big-ass ice cube.

On 7/13/2018 at 8:19 AM, TedE said:

The G&T variants at Estadio have always been interesting and, more importantly, really good.  I don't think I've ever been in there and not at least started off with one, even when the weather outside is decidedly not G&T-friendly.

Old Raj is a tasty inspired gin--and mucho strong.   If only I were younger and could handle drinking more than once or twice(now pushing it) per week.  I hope others join in with tasty alternatives.

Dammit...I haven't been to Estadio often and in thinking back I believe I was always there during cooler weather.   Missed all those G&T's.

BTW:   I'm remiss on commenting on  this:  The flavor combo of Bombay Sapphire and Fever Tree was nice.  I hadn't payed attention to Fever Tree.  In that it is so abundant in the small 6.8 oz bottles and I'm so focused on beaucoup (or overabundance) of tonic in the drink I hadn't tried it before.  I'll get some and try it a bit, let alone order it on occasion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaveO said:

BTW:   I'm remiss on commenting on  this:  The flavor combo of Bombay Sapphire and Fever Tree was nice.  I hadn't payed attention to Fever Tree.  In that it is so abundant in the small 6.8 oz bottles and I'm so focused on beaucoup (or overabundance) of tonic in the drink I hadn't tried it before.  I'll get some and try it a bit, let alone order it on occasion.

I figured out the deal with the ice cube.  I drink it too fast for it to have much impact on taste.  I kept an empty glass and allowed the cube to melt a bit and there is definitely a mild flavor imparted.  Probably won't taste that again.  😉

On 7/13/2018 at 8:19 AM, TedE said:

Fritz Hahn of WashPo agrees with you two about Estadio G&T’s

1 hour ago, DaveO said:

How did this very traditional, non special, not spruced up, good but not stupendous gin, stand up against the versions you have been trying recently?  Inquiring mind(s) would like to know?

It drinks much like it reads, affected somewhat in ways that cannot possibly be explained by the ambiance of the location in which it was imbibed.  It paired well with the Yankees / Mets game (July 21) on the TV at the bar that the Yankeees won 7 - 6 after the Mets' 3 run rally in the top of the 9th came up short.  It tasted just like that.

• Like 1

This is sort of my “walk of shame” in this thread. Here goes. 

Freezer cold Tanqueray with diet CHEK brand tonic water (Winn Dixie brand) and a big piece of lime. Ice maker (crescents of) ice in a French jelly jar. View of the ocean. Perfect. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dcandohio said:

This is sort of my “walk of shame” in this thread. Here goes. 

Freezer cold Tanqueray with diet CHEK brand tonic water (Winn Dixie brand) and a big piece of lime. Ice maker (crescents of) ice in a French jelly jar. View of the ocean. Perfect. 

I have made tons of G&T’s in this manner often for barbecue’s and at pool parties.  The bigger the group the likelier the “glassware” were large plastic cups and for large groups the ice might have come from a 5’ bag from the market or 7-11.  

My old summer beach house was too many blocks from the beach and did not provide ocean views. C’est la vie.

Well appreciated by large groups or intimate gatherings.  No walk of shame imho 

• Like 2

Otium - $11.  Plymouth gin.  Gin poured first. Then ice. Then fever Tree tonic. Lime.  Met (briefly) Jordan Wolfson whose (Female figure) is on view at The Broad. Brush with celebrity L.A. style.  The exhibit is recommended. We saw folks without reserved tickets ( these tickets are separate from museum admission tickets, although both are free) getting in on standby, so give it a shot.

---

Eat My Globe: Things You Didn't Know You Didn't Know about Food (reedm)

On 7/25/2018 at 9:40 PM, Pool Boy said:

My wife got the bark in pieces and not powdered, but we'll be careful - thanks for the tip!

We're going to try our homemade tonic again this weekend. I wonder if it has evolved in he refrigerator over the last couple of months. It's unusual and quite interesting.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2018 at 7:58 AM, dcs said:

G&T.jpg

---

Gin Recipes - Letting the Gin Take Center Stage (PoolBoy)

While at Ambar, Clarendon the other night I ordered a G & T, asking if it was the same cocktail as downstairs at Baba.  While the response was in the affirmative from a server, I wouldn't swear that she would be an authority on the topic.   The $11 cocktail was served in a large goblet with ample ice.  It came with a bottle of Fever Tree, but I did not check to see if it was elderflower.   The menu said cucumber infused gin.  In lieu of the flower petals and lime it came with a long thin slice of cucumber.   I have no idea what the base gin was.   Frankly I did not detect a strong sense of cucumber.

Wasn't bad but it wasn't exceptional, priced somewhere in the middle or lower end of "fancy" cocktails.

• Like 1

Estadio is going to help:

Juniotónico: a Gintonic Festival at Estadio: The basic gin and tonic may have been created by British army officers in India, but the quintessential summer cocktail has been revolutionized by the Spanish, who carefully mix-and-match gins, tonics and garnishes to create a drink that’s more than just a highball. Estadio celebrates the “Gintonic” with a month-long festival that includes rotating house-made tonics (think strawberry and coconut or melon and cucumber) paired with just the right gin. At least 60 rare Spanish gins are available for tasting — beverage director Adam Bernbach hosts a Gintonic tasting and seminar on June 15 — and guest bartenders will bring their own flavors every Monday night. Through June 30. Admission free for all events except the seminar, which costs $15.

• Like 1

My summer revelation, hit upon while making a batch of iced tea: green tea infused gin.  I've since found some other recipes online, but here is what I used based on my preferences:

Base gin: Beefeater.  I wanted something on the neutral end of the gin spectrum (and cheap, in case this didn't turn out so well ;) )

Tea: genmaicha, the particular brand I used was also mixed with matcha powder.  This is my go-to tea around the house, and during the warmer months I keep a half-gallon of cold-steeped tea in the fridge just to drink or use as a smoothie base.  I fell in love with the smokiness several years ago, and I thought it would be an interesting take on a G&T.

So far I've tried it simply with Fever Tree Light and a big squeeze of lime.  It's very refreshing, on the dry side and not too sweet, but the toasted rice adds a really nice depth.  It would also stand up to a much sweeter tonic, and I plan to experiment with a few down the line.

Here is the bottle (ignore the actual bottle, it was transferred during the straining process).  I eyeballed the amount of tea for the infusion based on what I normally do for iced tea (also completely eyeballed), and let it sit for an hour.  With the matcha you get a pretty quick infusion, and I didn't want it to come out too bitter as it "aged".  First run was through a french press to remove a bulk of the solids, then I ran small batches through my AeroPress.  That was laborious; the filters got clogged with fine matcha residue very quickly.  Even with all that a good amount of solids made it through, and you have to shake the bottle to get them back in suspension before pouring.  If I knew I'd go through a bottle in a day for a party or something I would have skipped the AeroPress and ended up with a more robust infusion and a much more vivd green color. Genmaicha in general tends to produce a yellowish-brown tea, but it's more green than the photo makes it out to be.

IMG_0150.jpg

• Like 2

So I have NOT had a gin and tonic at this place.  In fact I didn't know about this place.   Regardless a grad of the bar school is working there and raves about it.  She is a gin lover.  The reviews suggest if you are looking for an original G&T...this might be the place to visit:  http://www.newheightsrestaurant.com/babinga_bar/ 

aka....the gin joint.

...and there you have it...a purty gin cocktail prepared by your favorite barista....

1613128689_gincocktail.jpg.ce9cec95e0e58eb6db3cbc6031abf150.jpg

• Like 1

On 8/27/2019 at 4:25 PM, DaveO said:

So I have NOT had a gin and tonic at this place.  In fact I didn't know about this place.   Regardless a grad of the bar school is working there and raves about it.  She is a gin lover.  The reviews suggest if you are looking for an original G&T...this might be the place to visit:  http://www.newheightsrestaurant.com/babinga_bar/ 

aka....the gin joint.

...and there you have it...a purty gin cocktail prepared by your favorite barista....

1613128689_gincocktail.jpg.ce9cec95e0e58eb6db3cbc6031abf150.jpg

Well I STILL haven't made it over there, but I did discover this terrific review from Yelp, published this past September 15 from a "Yelper" from California.  (might just have been a recent conventioneer staying at one of the two large hotels that impact the restaurant scene in Woodley Park).  In any case, Kate, a gin lover, is a graduate of our bartending school program and recently picked up this gig.  She and the owner were "stoked" by the review and they are looking for another grad to work that bar. 

On the road again my wife and I thought we'd check out the Gin Joint late one evening and were greeted by our Gin-tender Kate. Lovely in every way, she knew her way around Gin and the drinks that go with it. We took on several of her recommendations and left feeling enlightened on Gin but not light headed. Kate was so kind and attentive that I will come back the next time I'm in town. As we were getting ready to leave we met the owner... what a nice gentleman!

• Like 1