Assaggi Pizzeria, Connected to Assaggi Osteria in Downtown McLean - Pizzaiolo Luis "Necco" Lopez Comes from 2Amys

While enjoying our dinner at Cafe Tatti, we noticed this new pizzeria across from us, and decided to check it out. 

I’ll start with the service, which was terrible:

• We had interminable waits for everything: food delivery, wine refills, water refills
  • We had multiple service errors: wrong pizza, wrong wine
  • We had multiple check errors: wrong charge for the pizza, wrong charge for the wine
  • We had indifferent reactions from the waiter: he offered no apologies, tried to make up for one mistake with another mistake
  • We had indifferent reactions from the manager: he came by twice to confirm the order error yet did nothing about it
  • We were subject to downright devious behavior: the waiter claimed the add on we were charged for was cheaper than the one we ordered, which it wasn’t. The waiter said the wine we ordered ran out and so he claimed to give us a more expensive wine to make up for service deficiencies, but this wasn’t true either.

We felt taken advantage of when the meal was over, and at around $20 per pizza (for what we ordered), we’ll never go back.

Which is too bad because I thought the food was pretty good. Indeed the Crispy Brussel Sprouts might have been the best I’ve ever had. The dish is served more like brussel chips, where each leaf is individually fried and served. The Pizzas had a salty and tasty crust, with good bits of char. The only miss was the White Bean Brushetta, which just needed salt (none on the tables).

• Sad 2

Assaggi doesn't list prices on their website, probably because they're kinda expensive.  A prosciutto and arugula pizza cost $17 ($13 at Pupatella, $13 at Orso, and $16 at Crust but buy 8 get 1 free).  It was a good pizza though.

I know Assaggi use to issue lots of coupons, and I wonder if their prices aren't inflated to account for the coupons.  

IMG_2231.JPG

• Thanks 1

On 7/31/2018 at 2:16 PM, dcs said:

Assaggi Osteria Adds a Casual Pizzeria Next Door, by Tierney Plumb, April 12, 2018, on dc.eater.com.

38 minutes ago, Ericandblueboy said:

Assaggi doesn't list prices on their website, probably because they're kinda expensive.  A prosciutto and arugula pizza cost $17 ($13 at Pupatella, $13 at Orso, and $16 at Crust but buy 8 get 1 free).  It was a good pizza though.

I know Assaggi use to issue lots of coupons, and I wonder if their prices aren't inflated to account for the coupons.  

IMG_2231.JPG

Sep 4, 2018 - "Assaggi Osteria Opens a Pizzeria in McLean" by David Hagedorn in arlingtonmagazine.com

Cancelled my dinner reservation downtown because of the Nor’eastEr and went to Assaggi instead.  Fantastic pizza and fried artichoke.  The place was busy on Friday night but the service was prompt.  I think they fixed the staffing issue, at least on this night.

I didn't see dead people but I see little kids...some screaming at times.  

BTW, the change in control made me more comfortable visiting this place again.

ETA, pizza, artichoke and 2 glasses of Lambrusco with tax and tip for $60 is a bit hefty.

• Like 1

from Wapo:

Bahrain: Shaikh Abdullah bin Rashed Al Khalifa, ambassador since 2017

“The olives ascolane served at Assaggi Osteria in McLean. It’s olives stuffed with veal, breaded, then fried to perfection. It reminds me of the finger foods I enjoyed while growing up in Bahrain, and conjures moments in my childhood synonymous with carefree activities and a laid-back life in general. Today, I enjoy the ascolane when I dine with my family as I see the same carefree smiles on my children’s faces when they grab an olive while waiting for their main dishes to arrive.”

Some actually likes Assaggi.  The pizza on my last visit wasn't good (it was not made by the person who I thought was the pizzaiolo ) so I haven't been back.