leleboo

What Are Your Kids Eating Tonight?

Hey yo. Rocks asked me to comment on parenting, which HAHAHAHAHA NOPE I don't do mommy wars, but it did make me think of kid eating. I know there's a Picky Eater thread, but I wasn't sure this fit there -- instead, it's just, what ARE your kids eating tonight?

Mine: spinach fettuccine with butter, parm, garlic, and lemon, side of ripe tomato. One kid didn't like the tomato. Yep, that's life!

Yours?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, leleboo said:

Hey yo. Rocks asked me to comment on parenting, which HAHAHAHAHA NOPE I don't do mommy wars, but it did make me think of kid eating. I know there's a Picky Eater thread, but I wasn't sure this fit there -- instead, it's just, what ARE your kids eating tonight?

Mine: spinach fettuccine with butter, parm, garlic, and lemon, side of ripe tomato. One kid didn't like the tomato. Yep, that's life!

Yours?

How old are yours, Leigh? Thought of putting a little sugar on the tomato to ease into it, or maybe even a drop of honey?

10 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

How old are yours, Leigh? Thought of putting a little sugar on the tomato to ease into it, or maybe even a drop of honey?

3.5 and almost 6. They love tomatoes -- cherry tomatoes, primarily. The little one didn't like the core of the big (diced) tomato. Oh well.

My 4-year-old had leftover pizza and some sliced strawberries. Not the greatest, but I take heart in the fact that she announced this week that she likes both tomatoes and mushrooms.

We nicknamed our little one "Goat" early on because he sounded like one when he complained ("Maaaa! Maaaa!"). Goat is now a fitting name for him as at 13 months, he eats pretty much everything, and he generally wants to eat what we're eating. Last night we had vegetarian burritos -- beans, broccoli, carrots, and onions, plus green chile for me and Azami -- which he scarfed up.

My 4-year-old was a lot more open to new and different foods between ages 1 and 2, then at age 3 her tastes narrowed a lot (although according to her teachers at preschool she mostly ate and continues to eat the school-provided lunches). Now at age 4 she's becoming more willing to try new and different foods again.

Tonight we're having homemade veggie fried (brown) rice. She likes fried rice in restaurants, so we'll see how it goes!

On 8/18/2018 at 10:31 PM, dracisk said:

I take heart in the fact that she announced this week that she likes both tomatoes and mushrooms.

And tonight she announced that she likes broccoli -- yes!

Tonight my kids scarfed shredded sous-vide chicken and steamed broccoli, but my older one had her favorite post-camp snack on the ride home today — avocado maki roll. (Weirdly enough, the little one prefers tuna!)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ericandblueboy said:

Way Fong brand frozen mini pork & chives dumplings.  My personal favorite but also winner of Serious Eats taste test.  They are the closest to homemade jiaozi that I grew up eating.  I keep my freezer stocked with these, knowing my kids will never turn down dumplings.

I need to find these for me! I’m a dumpling addict and there are no good ones near me.

Night-before-first-grade “couch picnic” of Greek feta turkey burgers & tomato-artichoke salad. (They don’t like the artichokes.) 

6D4E1FE6-8759-46E7-B8AF-E8E74C421198.jpeg

• Like 3

Tonight I had the last serving of leftovers from the fridge and the four-year-old had a cheese sandwich (muenster cheese melted between pieces of wheat toast), a banana, and some watermelon. A cheese sandwich is one of her old standbys (she'd probably eat it every night if we let her), and she'll pretty much always eat fruit.

Those turkey burgers sound good!

On 8/22/2018 at 8:16 PM, dracisk said:

she'll pretty much always eat fruit.

I joke that my little one is mostly made of fruit. It’s far and away her largest food group, followed closely by dairy. The big one is more veggie-focused. 😂

I wish mine was more veggie-focused. She'll eat some veggies, but she really loves fruit -- and dairy as well! Even if part of her dinner is junky, I always feel better if she eats some fruit.

Tonight we had chicken fajita pasta, which is from the website Skinnytaste. She killed the chicken and pasta but left a bunch of green pepper in her bowl. 😣

• Like 1

Weirdly, my veggie-averse one loves things like spinach tortellini. I also make a Moroccan-inspired beef dish that has onions, chickpeas, spinach, and dried apricots, that both of them will eat. And they both love vegetable soups, especially if they include pasta (like a minestrone). 

The one who LIKES veggies doesn't like things like carrots, which is bonkers. What kid doesn't like carrots?? 

• Like 1

We had ice cream for dinner after the first day of school. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

Last night my husband hit it out of the park with all of us cleaning our plates:
Poached salmon in white wine sitting on lemon slices. The kids LOVED IT! He also made mixed rice in the rice cooker with broth instead of water, again kids loved. Green beans were perfectly steamed (I did that part). They asked for seconds on everything but the green beans.

I have a fruit eater too. Our appetizer was sliced up watermelon. The 5 yr old kept eating it so I had to keep slicing for the rest of us. 8 yr old explained to me last night that sometimes he stops liking foods, and then likes new foods and then likes the food again. For example, he's off chicken right now but wants more pork. I"m going to attempt to pan fry a pork chop tonight and see if I can get clean plates again tonight.

They love pretty much all dumplings and pot stickers.

Their favorite request is "cold plate" which is basically anything in the fridge, cut up and on a plate...cold. It was my husband's thing as a kid and not a bad tradition, I must say.

• Like 3

Since the 1st day of school went well today, we asked our son where he wanted dinner and Chipotle it was.

However, his lunch box included a salmon slider with honey mustard, back berries, baby broccoli and pickled okra. 

I'm trying to restrain myself from falling down into the Bento box hole as preparing one small little meal satisfies a lot of obsessive cooking issues! 

20 hours ago, lion said:

and pickled okra. 

My kids chomp anything pickled, including okra. It was on their shopping request list for this week. 

15 hours ago, lion said:

However, his lunch box included a salmon slider with honey mustard, back berries, baby broccoli and pickled okra.

I'm not looking forward to when I need to start packing my daughter's lunch again (in a year when she starts kindergarten). I'm pretty sure her lunches won't be as impressively elaborate as this! When I had to pack her lunches at her in home daycare she ate a LOT of cheese sandwiches with cut up fruit (which she still loves).

On 8/28/2018 at 8:09 AM, NolaCaine said:

Their favorite request is "cold plate" which is basically anything in the fridge, cut up and on a plate...cold. It was my husband's thing as a kid and not a bad tradition, I must say.

I love this. "Cold plate" sounds awesome. I'll have to remember it.

I also have a fruit eater. He loves the organic Gala apples out of our orchard and strawberries most, but will also scarf down grapes, peaches, and bananas.

8 hours ago, NolaCaine said:

My kids chomp anything pickled, including okra. It was on their shopping request list for this week. 

My son also likes anything pickled.. Amazing how many he will eat, currently likes the Talk of O' Texas mild ones.  

7 hours ago, dracisk said:

I'm not looking forward to when I need to start packing my daughter's lunch again (in a year when she starts kindergarten). I'm pretty sure her lunches won't be as impressively elaborate as this! When I had to pack her lunches at her in home daycare she ate a LOT of cheese sandwiches with cut up fruit (which she still loves).

These days things are being made in the toaster oven and would say it's just good healthy food! Salmon cooked in grapeseed oil and finished with Maldon Salt on a store bought slider bun with some honey mustard. Again baby broccoli with EVOO in the toaster oven which is left over from dinner. Pretty quick! 😊

• Like 1