What Are Your Kids Eating Tonight?

leleboo

Doesn't everyone eat leftover grilled cheese* with their sushi**?

*Yes, this is apparently a thing...when I actually make the amount they normally request/insist they desperately neeeeeeed to eat.

**And chicken noodle soup, because hey, might as well clean out the fridge.

IMG_8497.JPG

• Like 2

Welp, my 4-year-old (almost 5) finally got sick of the chicken burritos from Costco after quite a run. The last two nights were torture at dinner waiting for her to finish burritos that she'd gotten sick of -- I guess she didn't know how to tell us that. She's always been a very good eater in terms of quantity, even if I wish she would try more things (though I guess that's the plight of the parents of most preschoolers).

Tonight she ate turkey breakfast sausages and applesauce. We have a ton of leftover desserts from our Super Bowl party (many kinds of cookies, a cookie pie thing, Rice Krispies treats), but she refuses to try any of those options. Tonight she ate a banana for dessert. Fruit for dessert?! I don't think she's in fact related to me.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2019 at 7:54 PM, dracisk said:

. Fruit for dessert?! I don't think she's in fact related to me.

My older one is like that. No real sweet tooth but a fierce salt tooth — which frankly is also me, but not my husband. Littler Bits, though, is Totally In Favor of Sugar. Kids, man.

47 minutes ago, leleboo said:

My older one is like that. No real sweet tooth but a fierce salt tooth — which frankly is also me, but not my husband. Littler Bits, though, is Totally In Favor of Sugar. Kids, man.

I'm not convinced mine doesn't have a sweet tooth. I just think she's that resistant to trying new things. (She loves ice cream, chocolate, and icing (but generally leaves the cake).) I wouldn't mind being wrong, though!

I've noticed that when my kids eat an early dinner, they want more/another when husband and I eat. Last night we had drop-in in-laws so I made the absolute best Thai food that I could order over the phone.

Kids came sniffing around at white rice and mango sticky rice for second dinner. Not bad.

In other news, my 8yr old boy has declared himself to "not like meat" but when offered he'll eat fish sticks and chicken nuggets. What the heck? He used to love salmon and pollo a la braza. But I guess that was 2018. 

They will still eat potstickers even though they are not homemade. Very often that's their second dinner. Or bread and cheese when I think they are faking hunger.  

On 2/9/2019 at 6:54 PM, leleboo said:

My kids have critiqued the sweetness of various fruits and candy. For example, grapes are generally too sweet. OTOH apples can go either way. They prefer dark to milk chocolate. 

10 hours ago, NolaCaine said:

In other news, my 8yr old boy has declared himself to "not like meat" but when offered he'll eat fish sticks and chicken nuggets. What the heck? He used to love salmon and pollo a la braza. But I guess that was 2018. 

Kids are weird. My 'vegetarian' eats chicken strips (not nuggets) or roast chicken, sausage patties, and is a voracious eater of all fish (he devoured half an order or fried calamari when we told him it was fish the other night at Little Beast).  The funny thing is this all started with a trip to a crab house on the Eastern Shore where he was so upset at what we were doing to the poor crabs he had to leave.

• Like 1

On 2/20/2019 at 1:42 PM, leleboo said:

While-wheat spaghetti with roasted-veg marinara. 

At 4:40pm. 

This day has lasted 85417975575 hours. 

My sympathies - same for us yesterday, except with meat sauce!! It was nice that everyone ate the same thing for dinner. We even got both kiddos to try at least 1 cucumber slice. Both will pick out the pasta on their own but they do allow themselves to be spoon-fed the sauce (including chunky tomatoes) and meat at the end, which is still worth it to us (for now) for nutrition purposes.

3 hours ago, MarkS said:

My sons grew up on burgers, meatball, pizza, bagels and Mrs. T Perogis.  Grew up just fine.

That is very reassuring!

Tonight for 5-year-old was a toasted cheese sandwich, some strawberry yogurt, some peach pork picante (bite-sized pieces of pork loin coated in taco seasoning and cooked in salsa with peach preserves, served with brown rice -- I don't think she's ever deigned to eat this before), some sherbet, and then a plain piece of bread. I'm thinking she must be going through a growth spurt, because she's been waking up in the middle of the night asking for snacks.

ETA: And more yogurt.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MarkS said:

My sons grew up on burgers, meatball, pizza, bagels and Mrs. T Perogis.  Grew up just fine.

58 minutes ago, dracisk said:

That is very reassuring!

Tonight for 5-year-old was a toasted cheese sandwich, some strawberry yogurt, some peach pork picante (bite-sized pieces of pork loin coated in taco seasoning and cooked in salsa with peach preserves, served with brown rice -- I don't think she's ever deigned to eat this before), some sherbet, and then a plain piece of bread. I'm thinking she must be going through a growth spurt, because she's been waking up in the middle of the night asking for snacks.

ETA: And more yogurt.

Agreed that this is reassuring because, um, that's pretty much what my kids would LOVE to eat all the time.  Though they both like hand-made (not by me) perogis when we can get them (in OH).

My Big (4 yrs) also seems to be going through a growth spurt because he is suddenly snacking a lot (cashews, oddly, which he doesn't ask for at any other time) right before bed.  The past few nights they have both been eating some combination of cheese, applesauce, cereal, yogurt, and apple slices for dinner.  That is not what the adults are having, but at least it's decent nutrition and minimal work. 

• Like 1

More news on my girl. She ate $17 worth of oysters at the Wharf today. FWIW: she likes the medium between salty and sweet. The other one at quite a bit of burger. He's not food adventurous.

Rappahannock oyster bar is expensive and not child-friendly (it's an actual bar) but the staff was really, really nice. I had fried seafood everything. That was amazing but then again, I never eat fried food so maybe it was just the fried-ness of it.

• Like 1

On 3/2/2019 at 4:04 PM, NolaCaine said:

More news on my girl. She ate $17 worth of oysters at the Wharf today. FWIW: she likes the medium between salty and sweet. The other one at quite a bit of burger. He's not food adventurous.

Wow! Reminds me of the oft-told story of my father-in-law's pride and chagrin when my husband, at age 10, was able to put away an adult-portioned Captain's Feast at Red Lobster? after eating his kids meal.

Last night both kids chowed down on pizza and cucumber and apple slices (well, 1 cucumber slice each). Tonight the (feverish) Big barely finished a popsicle and the Little had a beer-battered cod fillet (from Costco, we all like them, actually), some "kitchen sink" smoothie (seriously, I threw in the odds and ends of so many different fruits - pear, apple, banana, blueberries, mango, and an old cube of pureed prunes that he refused as a baby that I found hanging out in the back of the freezer - with some yogurt and fresh-squeezed limeade), and an oatmeal cookie. 

14 hours ago, Sundae in the Park said:

an old cube of pureed prunes that he refused as a baby that I found hanging out in the back of the freezer

I love this ^!

My husband made "fancy burritos" last night. They weren't really fancy, but that's what he called them for whatever reason. He mashed some black beans with cumin, garlic, and lime, and wrapped them in a flour tortilla with some smoked chicken and sauteed green bell pepper and onion, then grilled them in a cast iron skillet (or that's more or less what he did -- he was improvising and I wasn't watching). I was 100% sure my almost 5-year-old wouldn't eat these even though she likes (most of) the ingredients and has been obsessed with (admittedly quite different) burritos from Costco for awhile now. But she liked them, she really liked them! Color me corrected.

She also had some strawberries. Then before bed she told me she was hungry for "a bread."

• Like 2

On 3/5/2019 at 4:29 PM, dracisk said:

She also had some strawberries. Then before bed she told me she was hungry for "a bread."

I've got a little sleep avoider (5) who also eats an early dinner. When she asks for food before bed, based on internet advice, I give her "a bread" or a cheese or something equally as bland. If she's hungry, it will suffice. If she's not, it won't and that's how I know if she's really hungry or just delaying bed. 

Husband's traveling so breakfast is "a bread" chicken cold cuts and strawberries and milk. I think I covered all of the food groups and momma's tired and lazy and it's lent and for lent I've given up trying too hard.

• Haha 2

On 3/5/2019 at 1:29 PM, dracisk said:

I love this ^!

Then you'll love this as well - with the prunes I also found a few cubes of old sweet potato and it turns out that both work quite well mixed into fruit smoothies (that is to say, undetectable both in color and taste).  I think I'll be including sweet potatoes and possibly carrots in my smoothies from now on.  Green vegetables are out for now because the Little usually has a Hatred of Green Things but maybe I'll sneak those in via very small quantities...the idea, of course is to get them to voluntarily eat all sorts of colorful fruits and vegetables eventually, but this will help things along nutritionally in the meantime. 

If my Big learns the phrase "a bread" I suspect we will never hear the end of it...

Other than smoothies they have both been sporadically willing to eat cantaloupe this week (the Big ate some at school and asked for more, which I already had on hand, and then the Little copied his brother).  It's a similar case with "green sauce" noodles. The Big has been eating "green sauce" his entire life - first as pureed vegetables when he was a baby and now as a pasta sauce, mixed in with a little pesto. It's usually broccoli, spinach, and peas, cooked in chicken broth with onions and garlic, an added fat (schmaltz or olive oil), soy sauce, a tich of cooking wine, and a bunch of pepper, all whizzed with the immersion blender, and I always have cubes of it ready to go in the freezer. The Little will now occasionally deign to eat some, especially if the noodle shape of the day is small and fun - his favorite is ditalini (tiny tubes).  We've recently learned that the Little's food issues (mostly texture avoidance and joy in cheek stuffing and spitting) are officially worthy of occupational therapy (two separate opinions), which is a relief to hear - he is genuinely difficult to feed, it's not just our imaginations, and his size doesn't allow much leeway in letting him starve it out.  Hopefully we'll make some progress under the OT's guidance!

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Sundae in the Park said:

If my Big learns the phrase "a bread" I suspect we will never hear the end of it...

The bread thing is getting a little out of hand for us. I thought my daughter was just going through a growth spurt and was extra hungry but now I'm wondering. Last night she ate a decent dinner (chicken and pasta) around 7pm, then she asked for "a bread" before bed around 9pm, then she woke up at 6am and asked for "a bread" again.

41 minutes ago, Sundae in the Park said:

We've recently learned that the Little's food issues (mostly texture avoidance and joy in cheek stuffing and spitting) are officially worthy of occupational therapy (two separate opinions), which is a relief to hear - he is genuinely difficult to feed, it's not just our imaginations, and his size doesn't allow much leeway in letting him starve it out.  Hopefully we'll make some progress under the OT's guidance!

That sounds stressful! I'm thankful that my daughter has always been relatively easy to feed. I hope the OT helps!

• Like 1

Sundae: Good luck with the food issues and I hope the OT helps. 

Just came on here to say that my little asked for a bread again last night, looked at the options and chose the ultra healthy seed filled sprouted organic thing over the bagels and tortilla. Good for her!

in other news, why does my big eat beans at school but not home? They cannot be better at school. Don't we open the same can? (baked, re-fried)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 3/13/2019 at 3:09 PM, Sundae in the Park said:

It's a similar case with "green sauce" noodles. The Big has been eating "green sauce" his entire life - first as pureed vegetables when he was a baby and now as a pasta sauce, mixed in with a little pesto. It's usually broccoli, spinach, and peas, cooked in chicken broth with onions and garlic, an added fat (schmaltz or olive oil), soy sauce, a tich of cooking wine, and a bunch of pepper, all whizzed with the immersion blender, and I always have cubes of it ready to go in the freezer. 

Ummm this sounds great, I might make this for Hubby and I, hahahhahaha.

• Like 1

Thanks guys! Hopefully things will only get better now that we have a diagnosis and some help. I was genuinely and somewhat pleasantly surprised that he qualified for feeding OT since I'd convinced myself that we were dealing with a normal picky kid. 

Actually, ktmoomau, green sauce tastes pretty decent (ooooh, and it's best when you have bacon fat to add in, yum) and I eat it sometimes as well (and not just when I'm finishing up my kids' trashed leftovers). I started making baby food for my 1st because commercial baby food generally tastes bland/awful (and then the joke was on me when my 2nd refused to eat any mushy food). I didn't add much or any salt at first but I didn't see why the kids couldn't have otherwise flavorful foods, so I mostly cooked low-sodium versions of the foods we were eating or wouldn't mind eating.  Now, despite their other forms of pickiness, spiciness and strong flavors are not usually the problem - they both LOVE gochujang-flavored everything and pretty much all curries. 

On 3/14/2019 at 7:59 AM, NolaCaine said:

in other news, why does my big eat beans at school but not home? They cannot be better at school. Don't we open the same can? (baked, re-fried)

This is our fundamental Costco dilemma so I hear / tear out my hair with you...

On 3/14/2019 at 10:59 AM, NolaCaine said:

This is *always* my question when they come home *raving* about something at school, and then I try to recreate it and they won't touch it. To wit: hard-boiled eggs, which they had at Easter time at school last year, and my Big requests weekly, and yet when we have them at home, they nibble and then discard. It's not my boiling, since half the time I'm buying the ones in the bag from the store.

Daylight savings has gotten my kids eating dinner at a slightly more reasonable hour (key word: slightly). Where before they were ravenous at 4:30, now I can hold them off until 5:30. They are lately HUGE fans of MYO pizza, so I load up the sauce with veggies, and "weird-shaped" noodles (ditto on the sauce).

So Leleboo: When are we going to call time on "a bread" comments. Today, both my kids for pre-bed snack had water and two slices of "sara lee whole wheat" bread. It's like squishy wonderbread dyed brown. 

And, while I was preparing their prison rations, they were eating the remains of their lunches! To quote all parents: "kids are weird"

In other news, I've mastered bento-box like lunches. Girl likes salad, even grain salad, various pickled things, and variety. She tells me "you didn't pack enough of stuffes." She means different things, not general volume.  

14 hours ago, NolaCaine said:

When are we going to call time on "a bread" comments.

We seem to have moved beyond the obsession with "a bread" from my 5-year-old (though I'm sure I just jinxed myself)! At the end of last week we talked about cavities and how she shouldn't eat after she brushes her teeth. (I thought "a bread" was a short-term growth spurt-related thing (but it ended up dragging on and on), so she'd been eating her bread after brushing her teeth.) Since then she hasn't asked asked for "a bread" before bed (or in the middle of the night, as she had a couple of times)!

Last night for dinner she ate some blueberry yogurt, a little bit of corned beef left over from Sunday, and half a cantaloupe.

On 3/14/2019 at 7:59 AM, NolaCaine said:

On 3/15/2019 at 3:00 PM, leleboo said:

This is *always* my question when they come home *raving* about something at school, and then I try to recreate it and they won't touch it. To wit: hard-boiled eggs, which they had at Easter time at school last year, and my Big requests weekly, and yet when we have them at home, they nibble and then discard. It's not my boiling, since half the time I'm buying the ones in the bag from the store.

It has taken my Big exactly 5 days of preschool to come to the same conclusion. His school includes hot lunch, so he is seeing and (sometimes) trying new/differently prepared things - yay! However, yesterday's lunch had green beans, which he found acceptable for the first time. I offered to make them at home and, "no thanks, the green beans at school are better than yours." (And yes, I can see how probably canned green beans are more palatable to a small person than the sauteed or stir-fried versions we have at home, but, conceptually? I just die a little. Also, I can pretty much guarantee that canned vegetables I open at home would be refused, but I am willing to test this.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Although I'm not a fan of "sneaking" veggies* into food, I am obsessed with Wegman's store-brand frozen cauliflower puree (I'm sorry, "Cauli-creme" /eye roll). Could I make cauliflower puree? Sure. Would it ever be this smooth, or would I remember to freeze it in handy recipe-sized portions? Unlikely. Does it make mac and cheese a lot healthier than making a bechamel? Yep. Also, they called it "better than every other macaroni and cheese, mommy ... ok, except Panera." I'll count it as a win.

*I absolutely tell my kids it's made with cauliflower. Honestly, they like most veggies in the abstract, so it's not an issue. But you *could* sneak some veg into reluctant eaters this way.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, leleboo said:

Although I'm not a fan of "sneaking" veggies* into food, I am obsessed with Wegman's store-brand frozen cauliflower puree (I'm sorry, "Cauli-creme" /eye roll). Could I make cauliflower puree? Sure. Would it ever be this smooth, or would I remember to freeze it in handy recipe-sized portions? Unlikely. Does it make mac and cheese a lot healthier than making a bechamel? Yep. Also, they called it "better than every other macaroni and cheese, mommy ... ok, except Panera." I'll count it as a win.

*I absolutely tell my kids it's made with cauliflower. Honestly, they like most veggies in the abstract, so it's not an issue. But you *could* sneak some veg into reluctant eaters this way.

Speaking of Caulifower Purée, *nobody* makes a better one then DIShGo, and I mean *nobody*.

DIShGo, would you please share your recipe?

On 3/21/2019 at 2:35 PM, leleboo said:

Good to know for the nutritional toolbox! The Big understands what's in his food, as I don't generally try to hide it from him, and he enjoys eating vegetables that he likes to meet his nutritional quota (a serving of fruits and vegetables every day, eaten voluntarily, without whining) for unlocking treats.  Hence he's eaten green sauce for most days of his life excepting year 2 (Ugh year 2).  The Little, however, has a thing about colorful food most days, so blending in fruits and vegetables has become important. Because he likes beverages and to dip things, I can get away with some smoothies (pink / purple is acceptable) and vegetable purees if they are sufficiently dip-worthy.

Dinner: Salmon with soy+stuff glaze, rice, broccoli at the request of Big J. Little J will eat anything. (I'm trying out different code names to see what works)

Feeling oddly proud of my school lunch box game recently.  Tomorrow will be chef salad with the left over grilled chicken from last night and lots of other random stuff. My kids like a lot of little things and I think the end up eating more when I prep this type of lunch. I tried "warm" food once but too much of a PIA to be worth trying to master it. 

6 hours ago, NolaCaine said:

How Do I GET the Lunch Boxes Back From The School without going to Fetch Them Myself? !! ???

The school is taking them? They’re not with your kid’s stuff at the end of the day?

Next Thursday, my preschooler is making a theme lunch. It took everything in me not to laugh. 

77CF3C5D-D980-4D85-8FB5-B77628147586.jpeg

• Haha 3