What Are Your Kids Eating Tonight?

leleboo

12 hours ago, NolaCaine said:

is it weird that I'm considering a ball lunch or ball dinner? I"m inspired!

No!Ā šŸ˜Ā Getting out of cooking the regular standbys requires inspiration.

Sometimes it feels like just getting things a little more organized and simplified in the kitchen which give the space to really try some new dishes.Ā 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, leleboo said:

Can someone please explain the phenomenon of My Kids Will Never Eat the Same Amount of Anything Ever As They Ate the Last Time,Ā So I Never Know How Much of Any Ingredient I Need to Buy? Thanks.Ā šŸ™„

My daughter blew through a bunch of yogurt recently, so when yogurt was on sale at Costco I stocked up. Now she doesn't want yogurt.Ā šŸ˜­

Last night we went to a dinner party where my friend made Malawian food (or probably more accurately Southern African food). It was DELICIOUS. My 5-year-old ate a fair amount of "chicken and rice" (a chicken stew with mushrooms, tomatoes, and coconut milk alongsideĀ saffron rice).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dracisk said:

My daughter blew through a bunch of yogurt recently, so when yogurt was on sale at Costco I stocked up. Now she doesn't want yogurt.Ā šŸ˜­

Right? One time I made meatballs and they ate ALL OF THEM; the next time I made them, each kid ate a single meatball, and then started balking at seeing them show up in leftovers. Well, kids, that's what happens when you don't eat it the first time around!

Although my favorite was, "I don't like chicken anymore!" So what do you want for dinner instead of this chicken I'm serving? "Chicken noodle soup?"Ā šŸ¤¦ā€ā™€ļø

Ā 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, leleboo said:

Although my favorite was, "I don't like chicken anymore!" So what do you want for dinner instead of this chicken I'm serving? "Chicken noodle soup?"Ā šŸ¤¦ā€ā™€ļø

Ā 

Ā 

WTF with the not liking chicken. I call BS on that.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, dracisk said:

Siggi's Icelandic yogurtĀ was on sale last week so I bought a whole fridge drawerfulĀ to forestall anotherĀ literal fistfightĀ that ensued when apportioning the last one and...yep, no one likes it anymore, apparently. And I am NOT eating triple-cream yogurt, no matter how delicious it is.

20 hours ago, leleboo said:

Although my favorite was, "ļ»æI don't like chicken anymore!" So what do you want for dinner instead of this chicken I'm serving? "Chicken noodle soup?"Ā šŸ¤¦ā€ā™€ļø

18 hours ago, NolaCaine said:

Hahahaha, yeah. Sigh.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 3/31/2019 at 2:00 PM, dracisk said:

My daughter blew through a bunch of yogurt recently, so when yogurt was on sale at Costco I stocked up. Now she doesn't want yogurt.Ā 

We were at a friends house for lunch a couple of months ago. Our son couldn't get enough of the yogurt they had. Of course we searched and picked up that particular brand. His interest lasted about 3 weeks!

Ā 

• Sad 1

On 3/31/2019 at 6:56 PM, NolaCaine said:

My response: "Girl, the actual thing we say to get people to eat weird stuff is that it tastes like chicken. EVERYONE LIKES CHICKEN. Also chicken noodle soup is made of chicken. I win."

I miiiiight be petty, but also my 6yo has the argument skills of a 2L, so I'm suddenly regretting not going to law school.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Leftover shells and cheese w/bacon, peas, spinach, breadcrumbs, and about 18 different kinds of cheese I had in the fridge. Big declared it the most delicious dish ever. Little picked out the bacon and ate it separately.Ā šŸ˜†

The Big has been very picky about dinner lately (as in, refusing to eat anything we have on the table) but remains very focused on treat acquisition. So for the past few days he has been eating a small plate of cucumbers (the one true vegetable) and whatever sliced fruit we have lying around.Ā  All to get a piece ofĀ HalloweenĀ (yes, he's still working on his Halloween candy as we approach Easter, and he didn't Trick-Or-Treat all THAT much) candy.Ā  Eh, whatever, fine.Ā Ā 

Both kids refused to eat the japĀ chae (sweet potato noodles, tossed with garlic-sauteed beef, mushrooms, and zoodled squash/zucchini/carrots, and soy sauce, brown sugar, onion powder, and sesame oil) when it was fresh on Tuesday night (thoughĀ they've liked it in the past), but GUESS WHO wanted it all when I pulled it out for my own dinner last night, hmmmmm? AndĀ afterĀ they had both supposedly eaten a full meal of quesadillas before I got home!Ā Plus they also wanted to share an apple!Ā Nutritionally / palate-wise I was delighted but it was annoying that my dinner was relegated to various fridge scraps after they gobbled up Every.Single.Bite.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Ā Matzoh brei this morning was a hit. Tomorrow is Easter brunch at friendsā€™; theyā€™re handling the eggs and a ham casserole, and champagne, and we are bringing green bean salad and fruit salad. BTW, when my kids eat brunch, the rest of the dayā€™s meals are an effing disaster. Holy crap.

The first-graderā€™s lunch for tomorrow: egg salad made with eggs from todayā€™sĀ hunt, and matzah. (Preschooler selected egg-salad sandwich, real bread please.) Yet again, brunching has ruined their meal schedule: itā€™s 4:15 and theyā€™re begging for dinner, despite snacking on fruit, candy, and hard-boiled eggs all afternoon. šŸ¤¦ā€ā™€ļø

On 4/21/2019 at 4:16 PM, leleboo said:

The first-graderā€™s lunch for tomorrow: egg salad made with eggs from todayā€™sĀ hunt, and matzah. (Preschooler selected egg-salad sandwich, real bread please.) Yet again, brunching has ruined their meal schedule: itā€™s 4:15 and theyā€™re begging for dinner, despite snacking on fruit, candy, and hard-boiled eggs all afternoon. šŸ¤¦ā€ā™€ļø

I had a double set of belly aches and found some candy hidden in very odd places...all eggs gone by end of Easter day. (that's a good thing)

The kids both really like brothy soups.Ā  The Little especially likes to drink up "Chinese style," holding up the bowl to his face and slurping away. Other than dropping the bowl, this method of eating is typically less messy than his usual excitedĀ spoon-waving shenanigans.Ā  Both, however, will magically leave behind pretty much all the solids except for noodles (even if they like the solids in other forms) and also refuse to eat the soup entirely if it too thick/pureed.Ā  All this is to say that the Little hadĀ a version of egg drop soup last night which was successful mostly because I didn't make it with many eggĀ ribbons/shreds (as is my preference), instead incorporating the egg more fully into the broth kind of like Greek lemon soup, and the Big opted forĀ chicken and rice (which we were also having) because there were no noodles available.Ā 

My 5-year-old ate a banana and some strawberries for dinner last night instead of the tacos (with either smoked chicken or brisket, both of which she loves)Ā my husband and I ate. Then right before bed less than 2 hours later she ate several slices of ham (lunch meat) and a piece of wheat bread,Ā because she was still hungry. I was glad we ate least got her to eat the ham and bread rather than the Goldfish she asked for. I'm so tired of those infernal crackers!!

Solo parenting with a migraine and zero appetite:

Them: "What's for dinner?"
Me: "Breaded fish filets." {aka the slightly larger version of fish sticks}
6: "YAY!"

4: "ICK!"

Me: {sigh} "You eat them all the time and love them."
4: "I HATE THEM!"
Me: "OK. Your other option is leftover Thai peanut chicken." {Made this earlier this week for the adults, because 6 doesn't like peanut butter. For real.}
4: "YUM!"

So: one kid is eating fish, one is eating Thai peanut chicken, both think the other is insane. I am just waiting for bedtime.

2 hours ago, leleboo said:

Solo parenting with a migraine and zero appetite:

Them: "What's for dinner?"
Me: "Breaded fish filets." {aka the slightly larger version of fish sticks}
6: "YAY!"

4: "ICK!"

Me: {sigh} "You eat them all the time and love them."
4: "I HATE THEM!"
Me: "OK. Your other option is leftover Thai peanut chicken." {Made this earlier this week for the adults, because 6 doesn't like peanut butter. For real.}
4: "YUM!"

So: one kid is eating fish, one is eating Thai peanut chicken, both think the other is insane. I am just waiting for bedtime.

Just finished solo parenting with no migraine. When solo parenting, all quality controls leave me. Every, single, one of them. One had a hamburger the other a hot dog one night. Fish sticks (Trader Joe's) another night and frozen pizza the other. I cut up whatever fruit or veg looked like it needed the knife.Ā Ā That said, my girl (5.5) ate some of my red beans and rice (homemade) for second dinner tonight. #win!

• Like 1

The kids wanted to make trifles and spaghetti nests, courtesy of recipes in the littler one's High Five magazine. We did that on Saturday, and we had a lot of pudding and berries (and, tbh, pound cake) left over. I finally dug out my tiiiiiiny mason jars (that I got with the intention of making home-made sous-vide egg bites but haven't yet, because Starbucks) and put the leftover pudding and berries into them. Perfect size for desserts!Ā 

IMG_1345.jpg

• Like 3

Spaghetti nests have become a MAJOR thing here, although they are basically no different from regular pasta (they don't hold together enough to be "pick up and eat like a muffin" edible, at least in our house). We had them again tonight. Kids missed the meatball "eggs" in the nest, but otherwise, it was a great way to get veggies into them via sauce.

Chinese sticky rice is a big hit! They kids are even asking for it.Ā  Now, they usually leave behind most if not all the good filling ingredientsĀ (mushrooms, chicken, sausage, veg, etc.), but it's a start, and then my portion has double fillings...

They are also obsessed with the Costco cod fillets.Ā  No matter how many you make, they will eat their share and then stare/whine at yours until you fork it over.Ā 

Finally, right nowĀ they will eat whicheverĀ yogurt is NOT currently open.Ā  Not the whole milk with jam, not the maple Greek (both of which they ordinarily love, which is why we have them and they are open!!); they must have the individually wrapped Chobanis, which come in particularly magical flavors such as strawberry and blueberry.Ā  If I say they have to have one of the open options, they'll pass altogether. WTF??

TFW your kids *thank you* for you giving them apples for dessert.

(Of course, yesterday was dance recital, so Friday night was chicken nuggets eaten en route to rehearsal; dinner yesterday for the littler one was a grilled cheese, fries, oreo pie, AND a giant cookie, and dinner for the big after four hours of recital was a double cheeseburger and friesĀ from McD's -- we've outgrown Happy Meals -- and a giant cookie. So, yeah, apples it is today. #notasaint #parenting)

I had planned pizza for tonight (veggie marinara and sprouted-grain pre-made crust from Wegmans, to kind of make it healthy, plus a crapton of cheese, because kids). Of course, summer Fridays are ā€œpizza lunchā€ at camp AND classmates have brought celebratory pizza lunch for my preschooler the last two days, so ... yeah, we might have achieved maximum pizza. Ā 

On 6/20/2019 at 7:45 PM, lion said:

We ate all of this week's leftovers for dinner tonight!

Not gonna lie -- achieving that feels like SUCH a huge success to me on the (incredibly rare) occasions it happens!! Why is it that children have the ability to leave just the right amount leftover that it's not enough for another meal, but too much to be part of anything else??

• Like 1

6 hours ago, leleboo said:

Not gonna lie -- achieving that feels like SUCH a huge success to me on the (incredibly rare) occasions it happens!! Why is it that children have the ability to leave just the right amount leftover that it's not enough for another meal, but too much to be part of anything else??

Leave it out back for the curlews.Ā 

(Just trying to bring Melina back.)

Took my girl (5.75) to sho-shi zen, which she loves. However, the horror on her face when presented with a paper straw, was priceless. "This is horrible! It goes all wiggly in my mouth." takes another sip "and it tastes funny). She took it out, and took the top off the apple juice and just drank it. She was, straight up, offended.

We also over-ordered b/c we were so hungry. On demand, the made her a shrimp and avocado roll (a bit bland) as well as salmon roll, california roll, veggie roll, salmon and avocado and spicy tuna. All yummy and no, girl did not (yet) try the spicy tuna.

On 6/22/2019 at 6:16 PM, leleboo said:

It's the small victories in life...

On 7/22/2019 at 7:03 PM, Sundae in the Park said:

My kiddos have been eating rice + cucumbers + meat (pulled pork, grilled salmon or chicken, sauteed bee, etc.) + fruit all summer, and we've been pretty happy.

I don't know why, but this typo made me laugh hysterically. Bzzzzzz.Ā šŸšŸ¤£

Tonight my kids are eating deli turkey, brie, and (cooked) broccoli with hummus. But they also had dessert before dinner, since Big's camp went to the college bakery for a field trip today and came home with cupcakes and cookies, which of course we COULD NOT WAIT UNTIL AFTER DINNER to consume. I actually kind of prefer giving the massive sugar infusion before dinner; it gives their blood sugar time to regulate before bed.Ā 

August definitely has taken on the idea of a long slow march in terms of what to make for our 5 year old. Ā Need to mix it up more!

Counter space and my wife have been limiting my kitchen gadget purchases, as a consequence may have over indulged buying my son a new lunch box (Planetbox)Ā and bag for kindergarten.Ā 

Ā 

On 8/8/2019 at 6:37 PM, leleboo said:

GOOD LORD IS SUMMER OVER YET? I think tonight my kids ate cheesy scrambled eggs that were absolutely way more cheese than egg. I am so done.

My kids are over summer. And get this, they have been describing to me what types of lunches they want...so win to me for making good lunches and ...loose to me for same.

In other news, my kids have eaten all these cheese and cheese products in the entirety of the world this summer. And cucumbers and tomatoes. That's it.

• Like 1