leleboo

What Are Your Kids Eating Tonight?

Leigh, you speak truth ūüėČ

My kids had cake for dinner last night and there was still some (mangled) cake left on their plates when they were done.

• Haha 1

The kids wanted to make trifles and spaghetti nests, courtesy of recipes in the littler one's High Five magazine. We did that on Saturday, and we had a lot of pudding and berries (and, tbh, pound cake) left over. I finally dug out my tiiiiiiny mason jars (that I got with the intention of making home-made sous-vide egg bites but haven't yet, because Starbucks) and put the leftover pudding and berries into them. Perfect size for desserts! 

IMG_1345.jpg

• Like 3

Spaghetti nests have become a MAJOR thing here, although they are basically no different from regular pasta (they don't hold together enough to be "pick up and eat like a muffin" edible, at least in our house). We had them again tonight. Kids missed the meatball "eggs" in the nest, but otherwise, it was a great way to get veggies into them via sauce.

Chinese sticky rice is a big hit! They kids are even asking for it.  Now, they usually leave behind most if not all the good filling ingredients (mushrooms, chicken, sausage, veg, etc.), but it's a start, and then my portion has double fillings...

They are also obsessed with the Costco cod fillets.  No matter how many you make, they will eat their share and then stare/whine at yours until you fork it over. 

Finally, right now they will eat whichever yogurt is NOT currently open.  Not the whole milk with jam, not the maple Greek (both of which they ordinarily love, which is why we have them and they are open!!); they must have the individually wrapped Chobanis, which come in particularly magical flavors such as strawberry and blueberry.  If I say they have to have one of the open options, they'll pass altogether. WTF??

TFW your kids *thank you* for you giving them apples for dessert.

(Of course, yesterday was dance recital, so Friday night was chicken nuggets eaten en route to rehearsal; dinner yesterday for the littler one was a grilled cheese, fries, oreo pie, AND a giant cookie, and dinner for the big after four hours of recital was a double cheeseburger and fries from McD's -- we've outgrown Happy Meals -- and a giant cookie. So, yeah, apples it is today. #notasaint #parenting)

I had planned pizza for tonight (veggie marinara and sprouted-grain pre-made crust from Wegmans, to kind of make it healthy, plus a crapton of cheese, because kids). Of course, summer Fridays are ‚Äúpizza lunch‚ÄĚ at camp AND classmates have brought celebratory pizza lunch for my preschooler the last two days, so ... yeah, we might have achieved maximum pizza. ¬†

So, my kids won't eat roasted potatoes when I chunk or slice potato rounds, but they will devour homemade french fries when I roast potatoes cut into a fry shape and refer to them as such.  Gotta see if this will work with sweet potatoes...

• Like 1

I have a splitting headache and don‚Äôt¬†feel like cooking. So my kids are eating leftover grilled chicken, salami, and jicama & celery with hummus. ūüôĄ

Cheesy eggs, spinach dal and rice. My kids are so weird. 

2 hours ago, leleboo said:

Cheesy eggs, spinach dal and rice. My kids are so weird. 

well...potstickers, pepperoni, random crackers, celery, carrots and Italian dressing (Kraft) with ice water. Chocolate cake after. 

• Haha 1

Deviled eggs, small balls of mozzarella, cherry tomatoes, and green peas. Ice cream for dessert. 

We ate all of this week's leftovers for dinner tonight!

• Like 1

On 6/20/2019 at 7:45 PM, lion said:

We ate all of this week's leftovers for dinner tonight!

Not gonna lie -- achieving that feels like SUCH a huge success to me on the (incredibly rare) occasions it happens!! Why is it that children have the ability to leave just the right amount leftover that it's not enough for another meal, but too much to be part of anything else??

• Like 1

6 hours ago, leleboo said:

Not gonna lie -- achieving that feels like SUCH a huge success to me on the (incredibly rare) occasions it happens!! Why is it that children have the ability to leave just the right amount leftover that it's not enough for another meal, but too much to be part of anything else??

Leave it out back for the curlews. 

(Just trying to bring Melina back.)

Took my girl (5.75) to sho-shi zen, which she loves. However, the horror on her face when presented with a paper straw, was priceless. "This is horrible! It goes all wiggly in my mouth." takes another sip "and it tastes funny). She took it out, and took the top off the apple juice and just drank it. She was, straight up, offended.

We also over-ordered b/c we were so hungry. On demand, the made her a shrimp and avocado roll (a bit bland) as well as salmon roll, california roll, veggie roll, salmon and avocado and spicy tuna. All yummy and no, girl did not (yet) try the spicy tuna.

Another comfort meal for Mom: T-Bone steak on the grill, eggplant casserole, roasted Yukon Gold potatoes. Mom wanted garlic butter for the steak so I made that, too. 

• Like 2

On 6/22/2019 at 6:16 PM, leleboo said:

It's the small victories in life...