What Are Your Kids Eating Tonight?

leleboo

Love this thread. My 2 elementary schoolers lean toward the picky side but over the years we've been able to expand their diets a bit. I always am thankful they are better than me as a kid - I only ate about 10 things including my only vegetable was raw green peppers along with chicken, hamburgers, and bread plus desserts of course. Tonight my kids shared with us homemade turkey meat sauce and rigatoni. The kids had to have them separate on the plate. They are big pasta eaters but usually want it with only butter or olive oil and salt. They also took great pains to dissect the sauce to pull out the big chunks of crumbled turkey meat and dab off as much sauce as possible. Oh yes, they had baby carrots for an appetizer - by far their favorite vegetable. 

• Like 1

On 10/14/2018 at 11:33 PM, KeithA said:

Oh yes, they had baby carrots for an appetizer - by far their favorite vegetable. 

My first-grader is the only kid I've ever met who doesn't like carrots. Who doesn't like carrots? She'll eat them cooked in stuff, but raw carrots, not so much.

OF COURSE her little sister loves raw carrots, but I'm not allowed to send them in her lunch because they're a choking hazard for the under-4 set. Even though I cut them thin or buy julienned ones, I still have to wait to send them to school. Whatcha gonna do.

20 hours ago, leleboo said:

My first-grader is the only kid I've ever met who doesn't like carrots. Who doesn't like carrots? She'll eat them cooked in stuff, but raw carrots, not so much.

Got schooled earlier this week on the situations for which carrots are appropriate (by 5 yr old). Raw, fine. In soup, fine. Not in any type of sauce, not even "yummy sauce" which is some basic teriyaki thing I get from Trader Joe's. Not steamed, not in a box, not with a fox.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NolaCaine said:

I half-assed breakfast this morning

My daughter ate an apple* on the way to preschool this morning (but she gets fed breakfast at the school). I'm not looking forward to dealing with breakfast and lunch again (next year in kindergarten)! (We may need to start another thread on packing school lunches if one doesn't already exist.)

*This is much better than many mornings, when she insists on "a little bit of Goldfish." We ran out of Goldfish last week, and I keep telling her I need to get more at the store even though I bought more at Costco on Monday. Thankfully she hasn't discovered the treasure trove of Goldfish in the pantry yet.

Last night for dinner she ate steak and potatoes. She's definitely my husband's daughter (steak fiend).

53 minutes ago, dracisk said:

(We may need to start another thread on packing school lunches if one doesn't already exist.)

Ugh, bane of my existence. I never packed as a kid -- went to private school; lunch was provided and we couldn't pack instead. This whole packing-lunch thing is mind-boggling to me!

Breakfast for my 2nd grader - no not a dried strawberry fruit roll up fancy thing (yo yo brand - pricey but just fruit nothing added) and a chocolate brownie z bar. Oh you are ignoring me and already eating the fruit (skirmish lost), ok but you are willing to eat better, good. Here is some TJs boxed homemade banana bread with all 4 edges removed and a small amount of strawberry yogurt because you already ate the fruit. Yes you will eat these to grow big and strong. No eating only 2 things is not a rule. Yes do eat them. Yes you will drink milk and have a flinstones vitamin too. 30 mins due to all the back and forth and distracted daydreaming, etc. Its good to be a kid.

Breakfast for 4th grader - her "usual" - bowl of vanilla yogurt (my kids like Stoneyfield brand) and slice of banana bread with all of the edges especially the top that is the best gooey part. Milk and vitamin. 5 minutes. Talking and music not allowed. Occasional grunts of acknowledgement. Tears and frantic rushing reserved for other non-food related issues. 

Packed lunches: baby carrots, pretzels or ritz crackers, apple slices, and cold turkey hot dog sliced.  The hot dog is weird but they like it and have been eating it forever. Oh until last week when the 4th grader said they taste weird. Now we have tried multiple varieties including a blind taste test but she is moving on I think. We tried sliced turkey breast - so so results. She loves cheese but doesn't like it when it gets warm (despite we have some fancy lunch box with an insert for an ice pack). My tears and hair continue shed. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, leleboo said:

Ugh, bane of my existence. I never packed as a kid -- went to private school; lunch was provided and we couldn't pack instead. This whole packing-lunch thing is mind-boggling to me!

I am very, very lucky that my kids both eat school lunch, so far. I did pack today and wonder if that peppa pig lunch box will return home. Odds are about 50/50

"Beanie-weenie" using Hebrew National hot dogs and black beans, along with cumin, oregano, and a smidge of red chile, and cornbread. Goat ate a ton of the beanie-weenie (he loves black beans, so I wasn't surprised) but was skeptical of the cornbread at first. He finally ate it after breaking it up with his spoon.

Goat is cutting a bunch of teeth right now, so his appetite isn't always the best. But even if he doesn't want to eat his meals, he'll gladly eat his weight in grapes.

7 hours ago, Xochitl10 said:

"Beanie-weenie" using Hebrew National hot dogs and black beans, along with cumin, oregano, and a smidge of red chile, and cornbread. Goat ate a ton of the beanie-weenie (he loves black beans, so I wasn't surprised) but was skeptical of the cornbread at first. He finally ate it after breaking it up with his spoon.

Goat is cutting a bunch of teeth right now, so his appetite isn't always the best. But even if he doesn't want to eat his meals, he'll gladly eat his weight in grapes.

Beanie-Weenie is one of my favorite things to cook. I always add to the beans Vidalia onion, bacon and bratwurst or spicy sausage. Plus , of course, shredded sharp Cheddar. 

• Like 1

My kids cannot get enough of omelets (the 11 month old twins and my 3 year old daughter).  It ends up being a good way (a lot of spinach goes in - but also any unused veggie scraps that are in containers in the fridge do as well) to get some extra veggies in across the board.  My daughter went through a phase where she only wanted cereal but thankfully that's passed.

On 10/25/2018 at 12:29 PM, Rovers2000 said:

the 11 month old twins and my 3 year old daughter

I am not a religious person, but God bless you.

Tonight we tried a new recipe: 30-Minute Thai Peanut Chicken Ramen. I may have gotten it from the Instant Pot thread here on dr.com (but we may it on the stovetop). First of all, the recipe was delicious. Our house smelled like a Thai restaurant. Second of all, my 4-year-old asked for a cheese quesadilla (one of her staples), but when she saw the soup she decided she wanted some, spinach, mushrooms, and all. She ate a decent amount. I was surprised and delighted. She's now very attentively watching "Conan the Barbarian."

• Haha 1

On 10/19/2018 at 3:24 PM, Ericandblueboy said:

Fiber One brownie

I sent these one day and it turns out they aren't allergy-safe so my preschooler got sent back home with it still wrapped! (The daycare is completely nut-free.) Funnily enough, I almost never pack dessert. For my big kid, I pack fruit cups for her dismissal-time snack, per her request (or Pirate Booty, veggie straws, or popcorn, if she had fruit in her lunch)

Tonight they're eating bucatini with turkey pumpkin sauce (redux). Yes, they're eating dinner at 5 ... Sundays are a totally wonky schedule for us, and dinner either ends up super early (for them) or super late (for us). Tonight, a bit of both.

IMG_5878.jpg

IMG_5879.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, leleboo said:

For my big kid, I pack fruit cups for her dismissal-time snack, per her request (or Pirate Booty, veggie straws, or popcorn, if she had fruit in her lunch)

So you've gotten suckered into buying Pirate's Booty also. 😜

Matt used to like this stuff, and I'm convinced it was because of the name (for kids), coupled with the touting of "aged white cheddar" <--- Bullshit! (for parents) on their packaging.

I admit to liking it too. 🤔

On 10/28/2018 at 8:15 PM, DonRocks said:

So you've gotten suckered into buying Pirate's Booty also. 😜

Matt used to like this stuff, and I'm convinced it was because of the name (for kids), coupled with the touting of "aged white cheddar" <--- Bullshit! (for parents) on their packaging.

I admit to liking it too. 🤔

We actually buy it because it's both kosher and vegetarian, which are the rules for supplying snack at Hebrew school. And it tastes good -- like more-styrofoam-esque cheese popcorn. 

On 11/1/2018 at 9:02 AM, NolaCaine said:

last night (Halloween) kids had cold plate. cheese, tomatoes, carrots, olives, turkey slices and (not kidding here) a plain slice of untoasted bread. Milk. They were literally jumping around while they ate.

Mine like untoasted bread too. Kids. Oy.

52 minutes ago, leleboo said:

We actually buy it because it's both kosher and vegetarian, which are the rules for supplying snack at Hebrew school. And it tastes good -- like more-styrofoam-esque cheese popcorn. 

Mine like untoasted bread too. Kids. Oy.

It reminds me of the buckets of UTZ cheese balls my parents used to keep in the pantry (growing up pretty close to Little Debbies / Entemanns / UTZ factories in Eastern PA as a kid led to a pretty interesting pantry).  I do have a bit of faith that this stuff is at least a tad healthier and I must admit, I have stolen a bag or two of these and "veggie" straws from my daughters stash.

2 hours ago, Rovers2000 said:

It reminds me of the buckets of UTZ cheese balls my parents used to keep in the pantry (growing up pretty close to Little Debbies / Entemanns / UTZ factories in Eastern PA as a kid led to a pretty interesting pantry).  I do have a bit of faith that this stuff is at least a tad healthier and I must admit, I have stolen a bag or two of these and "veggie" straws from my daughters stash.

Little Debbie has a snack for you! I miss those things. I was super poor growing up but for $1, I could get a dozen star crunch for the peanut bars that I would take apart and eat piece by piece. I realize that they are still for sale, but i don't think i'd enjoy that ...coating that one's mouth has after.

2 hours ago, Rovers2000 said:

I love veggie straws more than I should. I was always excited when someone brought them to concert rehearsal -- or now, when we go over to Goat's friend's house and they have them.

Goat participated in our chutney tasting the other night. My mother-in-law and I had each made chutney using apples out of our orchard. He preferred my caramelized onion, ginger, and curry version to her sweeter -- think bread-and-butter pickles -- relish-like one. He was especially happy if we kept the sharp cheddar and French bread accompaniments coming.

3 hours ago, NolaCaine said:

Little Debbie has a snack for you! I miss those things. I was super poor growing up but for $1, I could get a dozen star crunch for the peanut bars that I would take apart and eat piece by piece. I realize that they are still for sale, but i don't think i'd enjoy that ...coating that one's mouth has after.

Oh man are you ever right re: the end result of those peanut bars.  

Though I'm ashamed to admit I'd likely still be able to inhale a couple oatmeal creme pies (which is one of the reasons Little Debbie snacks have never made an appearance in any of my "adult" homes)

1 hour ago, Rovers2000 said:

Oh man are you ever right re: the end result of those peanut bars.  

Though I'm ashamed to admit I'd likely still be able to inhale a couple oatmeal creme pies (which is one of the reasons Little Debbie snacks have never made an appearance in any of my "adult" homes)

Great. Now I have a craving.

Discovered something fascinating last night.

8 year old is off mac'n'cheese  and hotdogs "I don't like it anymore" and loved the bacon-fat charred baby Brussel sprouts that I found at the farmers' market. 5 year old, OTOH, is off Brussel sprouts and into mac'n'cheese in a total reversal of what I have known to be true. 

Oh, and now I am making school lunches...I cursed myself with that upthread brag.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, NolaCaine said:

Oh, and now I am making school lunches...I cursed myself with that upthread brag.

I need to learn to make some new stuff! It's hard making school lunches and then to make a different dinner a couple of weeknights. 

9 hours ago, Mark Slater said:

Hi,

How many are you cooking for?

I'll answer: 4 people. 1 kids lunch. I've got the kids whose tastes are changing in real time. The one how brings lunch to school is usually food adventurous. I am thinking about playing with grain salad...or playing with grains at night, and making it a salad for lunch. I think she'd go for that if it had EVOO and balsamic as the dressing. But she's 5. Not sure she could uncap a dressing container. Guess we have to experiment.

My kids do like "cold plate" which is basically leftovers served cold with other cold and room temp stuff...on a plate. Lunches, so far, have been little ham wraps as the main. Sides rotate among fruit/vegs served just cut up. 

9 hours ago, Mark Slater said:

Hi,

How many are you cooking for?

Lunch is just the kid, dinner can vary from 2-4 adults as family is very close by. Additionally, there are different dietary restrictions and spice levels to consider. 

My current cooking falls into two categories, Indian family recipes and go-to dishes from the past ten years. Frankly, adding the kid's lunch meals probably accelerated the feeling of needing to learn some new recipes or even another ethnic cuisine, like 'real' Italian, just for a change of pace.

NolaCaine, guess we're kind of in the same boat. My son is 4 1/2 and some of the more adventurous things I would like to prepare for him are limited by safety concerns, or eating cold food. My standard procedure is to try something out at dinner time and then work it into his lunch. Still, it feels like another year or two and a majority of these concerns will be over. He does like eating avocado rolls, but have been resisting going full bento box parenting😀

Lion: How do you keep an lunch avacado from getting brown? Stupid question: If I roll an avocado in a tortilla with ham, will it turn brown if well wrapped in something like plastic wrap? My 5 yr old is part monkey as she loves avacado, mango, banannas...well, all the fruit.

Tonight my big one is going to the Know Your World Expo with my husband -- the International Fellows from the Army War College make foods from their countries for people to try. She can't wait. My little one and I will be having a PJs and Pizza Night, complete with frozen pizza (actually Bagel Bites for the preschooler). 

We made yet another Skinnytaste recipe tonight: Chicken Curry with Coconut Milk. Four-year-old at first proclaimed loudly that she didn't want it (we hadn't had it in awhile, but I was pretty sure she'd eaten it in the past). My husband relented way too easily and agreed to make her a cheese sandwich (cheese melted between toasted bread -- because we're out of the Costco burritos she's obsessed with), but when she saw our bowls of curry she said "I want that!" and proceeded to eat almost as much as my husband and me.

• Like 1

On 11/7/2018 at 9:58 AM, NolaCaine said:

Lion: How do you keep an lunch avacado from getting brown? Stupid question: If I roll an avocado in a tortilla with ham, will it turn brown if well wrapped in something like plastic wrap? My 5 yr old is part monkey as she loves avacado, mango, banannas...well, all the fruit.

Oh, I didn’t make an avocado roll yet, not sure yet if it’s good for him to eat at school. But perhaps it would spoil less in a small airtight container?