Jump to content
leleboo

What Are Your Kids Eating Tonight?

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Sundae in the Park said:

we're taking that as a big win

That's a big win for sure!

We had chicken cacciatore and pasta last night and tonight. Last night the 4-(almost 5-)year-old gave us a big fight but ultimately ate quite a bit. There's nothing about this she doesn't like (OK, maybe the green peppers -- she always picks those out) -- chicken, tomato sauce, mushrooms (which she likes), pasta, and all the Parmesan her little heart could desire. Now that she's on a major burrito kick she demands a burrito every night, even if we're having something else she likes. My husband and I have to stick to our guns to get her to eat anything other than a burrito. Tonight when she got home from preschool instead of shrieking "I WANT A BURRITO!" when we told her what we were having, she said, "I like chicken and pasta!" (not that I think we won't be having any more fights about burritos).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cheese omelets, avocado and Route 29 Sweet potato chips. Very lazy but tasty dinner. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aaaaaaand the Big won't eat (any, not just my) dumplings anymore 😭  Instead, he ate mostly fridge/pantry food yesterday - yogurt, frozen blueberries, cheese, and peanut butter, along with some noodles.  While that's actually fine, I hope this dumpling-hating phase ends soon. Who doesn't like dumplings???!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rotisserie chicken and one apple slice. After a 20-minute post-preschool fit about how she just wants to play and she doesn't want to eat dinner. "Food is not the goodest!" (She's clearly not actually related to me.) 😣

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our almost 6 year-old's favorite meal in the whole world is a concoction of his grandmother's -- a 肉鬆 (a.k.a. rousong or "pork floss") and fried egg sandwich, usually with whole wheat bread and a light touch of mayo.  It's a treat that we typically reserve for lunch on weekends, but between the holiday on Monday and staying home from school on Tuesday with a cold, he was going to have it four days in a row.  So I decided to change things up slightly.  Instead of wheat bread and a fried egg, I used King's Hawaiian rolls and scrambled eggs.  He loved it all the same!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My first-grader’s first favorite food was spinach dal (no joke). My preschooler is “meh” on it so it’s fallen out of rotation, but then I found these (at Target, of all places). They’re really good. The little one even likes the one with squash. Meet dinner. 

77FC78CC-4736-4787-A270-17A7E4CA5000.jpeg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/23/2019 at 4:05 PM, Sundae in the Park said:

Aaaaaaand the Big won't eat (any, not just my) dumplings anymore 😭  [...] Who doesn't like dumplings???!!!

I’m pretty sure that’s inhuman. I’m sorry for your struggle. (I’m only being mildly sarcastic here, because truly, dumplings are universal. I’m sure the Big will come around.)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, leleboo said:

My first-grader’s first favorite food was spinach dal (no joke). My preschooler is “meh” on it so it’s fallen out of rotation, but then I found these (at Target, of all places). They’re really good. The little one even likes the one with squash. Meet dinner. 

77FC78CC-4736-4787-A270-17A7E4CA5000.jpeg

How do you deal with the hot/cold temperature thing? Packing lunch still is a challenge with that. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lion said:

How do you deal with the hot/cold temperature thing? Packing lunch still is a challenge with that. 

The new thermos containers are amazing at keeping things warm.  Just pour boiling water in, let it sit for a couple minutes, then add the hot entree.  Son reports it's still warm at lunchtime.  Even when it's next to his double wall water bottle, which still has ice in it at lunchtime.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, zgast said:

The new thermos containers are amazing at keeping things warm.  Just pour boiling water in, let it sit for a couple minutes, then add the hot entree.  Son reports it's still warm at lunchtime.  Even when it's next to his double wall water bottle, which still has ice in it at lunchtime.

Yep. We love these. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/24/2019 at 7:06 AM, silentbob said:

Our almost 6 year-old's favorite meal in the whole world is a concoction of his grandmother's -- a 肉鬆 (a.k.a. rousong or "pork floss") and fried egg sandwich, usually with whole wheat bread and a light touch of mayo.  It's a treat that we typically reserve for lunch on weekends, but between the holiday on Monday and staying home from school on Tuesday with a cold, he was going to have it four days in a row.  So I decided to change things up slightly.  Instead of wheat bread and a fried egg, I used King's Hawaiian rolls and scrambled eggs.  He loved it all the same!

Oh that sounds delicious and now I want one!

Mmmmmmm, Leigh, those pouches also look good. I usually keep the Tasty Bite madras lentils on hand (bought from Costco), and my kids sometimes eat them (mostly in the store, though).  I did try to make them at home but neither kid liked my version (which I thought was pretty close). Both of my kids LOVED chana masala for a while, so we'll have to try these sometime when they're back on beans.

Of the roast chicken dinner we had last night (paired with Brussels sprouts, potatoes, carrots, and blueberries - not all together), the Little ate some chicken, wheat thins, almond butter, and some fruit smoothie, while the Big ate a banana, a few bites of croissant, and some apple slices.  While I wish they would eat what we make, I let them have most anything in the fridge or pantry that is food-like (as opposed to snack-like) and doesn't require extra cooking/making (the smoothie was a leftover from lunch). 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/28/2019 at 9:59 AM, zgast said:

The new thermos containers are amazing at keeping things warm.  Just pour boiling water in, let it sit for a couple minutes, then add the hot entree.  Son reports it's still warm at lunchtime.  Even when it's next to his double wall water bottle, which still has ice in it at lunchtime.

Our son is pre-k, so we haven't broached 'hot' foods away from us yet. At what age did you feel comfortable with that? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, lion said:

Our son is pre-k, so we haven't broached 'hot' foods away from us yet. At what age did you feel comfortable with that? 

When Matt was three-years old, we were at a Pho House in Eden Center. As a sadistic joke, we gave him a lime wedge, and told him to lick it: What followed was the Pictionary definition of the word, "shudder." I know it might sound cruel, but it was *hilarious*.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lion said:

Our son is pre-k, so we haven't broached 'hot' foods away from us yet. At what age did you feel comfortable with that? 

Basically as soon as we thought he could get the thermos open and eat it without an assist. Probably late kindergarten or early 1st grade.  We lucked out in that our pre-K provided lunches before then.  Son is a 'bland-itarian' so lunches are a PITA since peanut butter is mostly banned.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, DonRocks said:

When Matt was three-years old, we were at a Pho House in Eden Center. As a sadistic joke, we gave him a lime wedge, and told him to lick it: What followed was the Pictionary definition of the word, "shudder." I know it might sound cruel, but it was *hilarious*.

My son is the exact opposite, he likes to lick lime wedges. Actually when we go places, we will give ours to him and he will squeeze it over the rice. He really is interesting to see his tastes even at a young age!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, zgast said:

Basically as soon as we thought he could get the thermos open and eat it without an assist. Probably late kindergarten or early 1st grade.  We lucked out in that our pre-K provided lunches before then.  Son is a 'bland-itarian' so lunches are a PITA since peanut butter is mostly banned.  

That's for the data point! Another year or two does seem right. Unfortunately it limits what we can pack with his lunch and he's starting to not like certain foods at school that get cold. 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/7/2018 at 9:58 AM, NolaCaine said:

Lion: How do you keep an lunch avacado from getting brown? Stupid question: If I roll an avocado in a tortilla with ham, will it turn brown if well wrapped in something like plastic wrap? My 5 yr old is part monkey as she loves avacado, mango, banannas...well, all the fruit.

When I do this for lunches, I mash it up a little, put it in the bottom of a ziplock (I know single use plastics ugh), push out as much air as I can around it and put a little bit of evoo on the top where it may hit some air (you can also freeze this way too).  Oh and sometimes I put just a few squirts of lemon juice before mashing to help stave it off too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, ask and you shall receive (when I get around to reading posts that don't really apply to me, but I think I might find interesting)- the packing a school lunch thread. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, DonRocks said:

When Matt was three-years old, we were at a Pho House in Eden Center. As a sadistic joke, we gave him a lime wedge, and told him to lick it: What followed was the Pictionary definition of the word, "shudder." I know it might sound cruel, but it was *hilarious*.

We did this with our son when he was 2 and have him on video saying "stop torturing me." So funny. Fast forward, both kids eat lemons and limes all the time now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, zgast said:

Basically as soon as we thought he could get the thermos open and eat it without an assist. Probably late kindergarten or early 1st grade.  We lucked out in that our pre-K provided lunches before then.  Son is a 'bland-itarian' so lunches are a PITA since peanut butter is mostly banned.  

Re; Peanut butter...that sun butter is pretty good according to my 8 yr old and is what's used in arlington public school lunches.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Per the heating thing above: our daycare actually will microwave "heat-ups" -- we can't send a thermos, in fact. That starts at least in the 3yo room...not sure if younger, since we didn't go there then, but my older one's preschool starting in the one-year-old room served lunch and it was warm. So it never occurred to me to be wary of hot foods away from us! Ha! That said, both of my kids will choose to eat certain things cold that should probably be warmed up. Kids. 🤷‍♀️

 

On 1/28/2019 at 6:54 PM, Sundae in the Park said:

Oh that sounds delicious and now I want one!

Mmmmmmm, Leigh, those pouches also look good. I usually keep the Tasty Bite madras lentils on hand (bought from Costco), and my kids sometimes eat them (mostly in the store, though).  I did try to make them at home but neither kid liked my version (which I thought was pretty close). Both of my kids LOVED chana masala for a while, so we'll have to try these sometime when they're back on beans.

 

We used to get the TastyBite spinach dal, and then they stopped selling it ANYWHERE that I could find it! Haha! I will say, the Maya Kaimal ones are tastier, IMO.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, lion said:

Our son is pre-k, so we haven't broached 'hot' foods away from us yet. At what age did you feel comfortable with that? 

21 hours ago, zgast said:

Basically as soon as we thought he could get the thermos open and eat it without an assist. Probably late kindergarten or early 1st grade.  We lucked out in that our pre-K provided lunches before then.  Son is a 'bland-itarian' so lunches are a PITA since peanut butter is mostly banned.  

9 hours ago, lion said:

That's for the data point! Another year or two does seem right. Unfortunately it limits what we can pack with his lunch and he's starting to not like certain foods at school that get cold. 

My husband is specifically trying to "train" our kids to like cold foods (i.e., never offering to heat up leftovers until asked) exactly to avoid the warm food at school issue!! I initially objected because I am an always warm food person, but I definitely see the convenience of having kids always willing to eat cold foods (this perhaps could be considered an offshoot of the baby wipes warmer controversy - why get your kid used to that level of luxury in the first place when it's guaranteed to bite you back in the field?).  My big kid is 4, has very high-scoring fine/gross motor skills, and there is no way I'd trust him yet to work a thermos and remain more/less unsullied throughout the day.  We really like noodle preparations that were originally intended to be served cold or room temperature, and he'll always eat cold pizza because...pizza.  Silentbob reminded me about rousong or "pork floss" - when I was little we would often eat sticky-ish rice rolls with the rousong or the fish version inside, and they are good at room temperature, and could potentially be sushi-fied with harder/drier vegetables for more (any!) nutrition.  My mom sometimes made a version of the fish floss on the stove using tuna, which would have quite a bit more nutrition/fewer preservatives than the stuff from the store. 

4 hours ago, NolaCaine said:

Re; Peanut butter...that sun butter is pretty good according to my 8 yr old and is what's used in arlington public school lunches.

Trader Joe's has some nice sunflower seed butter.  Don't forget to beware of pesto! The pine or walnuts also make it off limits for nut-free schools 🙁

Last night, while intended dinner was in the oven (bourbon chicken and roasted balsamic mushrooms, to be served with rice), I made a very quick chicken bullion broth for my sick dad.  He ladled it over some rice and both kids immediately demanded their own (multiple!) portions. So they all had broth and rice for dinner, though the kids also ate apple slices. I made them both try the chicken and sauce once it was ready and am confident/hopeful that they will eat it today, since it was designed to hit their favorite flavors and the initial reception was quite enthusiastic. We'll see!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can’t get warm, so I pulled out the leftover bœuf bourguignon to reheat in hopes of it warming us all up. Kids are drooling over it. They’re even eating the mushrooms. (Includes peas, because I’m a heathen.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also fun fact for the nut allergies: our public school isn't nut-free. I sort of assumed all schools were now, but nope. My first-grader can take nut products. She doesn't like peanut butter (because she's a contrarian, obvs) so doesn't, but she's allowed. The daycare/preschool IS tree-nut free, and of course my littler one DOES like PB, so we've done sunbutter occasionally for her. Mostly we stay away from it, as that's easier, and we snack on whole nuts at home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We learned recently that our unpredictable two year-old daughter loves gnocchi with pesto (De Cecco and Kirkland, respectively).  She rejects around 80 percent of whatever is offered to her, so this was a pleasant surprise!

Frozen pizza from American Flatbread, which was BOGO at Harris Teeter a few weeks ago, has been a hit with our kids too, especially the Twisted 6 Cheese.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...