leleboo

What Are Your Kids Eating Tonight?

Doesn't everyone eat leftover grilled cheese* with their sushi**?

*Yes, this is apparently a thing...when I actually make the amount they normally request/insist they desperately neeeeeeed to eat.

**And chicken noodle soup, because hey, might as well clean out the fridge.

IMG_8497.JPG

• Like 2

Welp, my 4-year-old (almost 5) finally got sick of the chicken burritos from Costco after quite a run. The last two nights were torture at dinner waiting for her to finish burritos that she'd gotten sick of -- I guess she didn't know how to tell us that. She's always been a very good eater in terms of quantity, even if I wish she would try more things (though I guess that's the plight of the parents of most preschoolers).

Tonight she ate turkey breakfast sausages and applesauce. We have a ton of leftover desserts from our Super Bowl party (many kinds of cookies, a cookie pie thing, Rice Krispies treats), but she refuses to try any of those options. Tonight she ate a banana for dessert. Fruit for dessert?! I don't think she's in fact related to me.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2019 at 7:54 PM, dracisk said:

. Fruit for dessert?! I don't think she's in fact related to me.

My older one is like that. No real sweet tooth but a fierce salt tooth — which frankly is also me, but not my husband. Littler Bits, though, is Totally In Favor of Sugar. Kids, man.

47 minutes ago, leleboo said:

My older one is like that. No real sweet tooth but a fierce salt tooth — which frankly is also me, but not my husband. Littler Bits, though, is Totally In Favor of Sugar. Kids, man.

I'm not convinced mine doesn't have a sweet tooth. I just think she's that resistant to trying new things. (She loves ice cream, chocolate, and icing (but generally leaves the cake).) I wouldn't mind being wrong, though!

When you don’t have enough of the orecchiette or the elbow macaroni, you combine them and your kids think it’s hilarious to eat “Little Ears and Bent Elbows” for dinner. 

• Like 1

I've noticed that when my kids eat an early dinner, they want more/another when husband and I eat. Last night we had drop-in in-laws so I made the absolute best Thai food that I could order over the phone.

Kids came sniffing around at white rice and mango sticky rice for second dinner. Not bad.

In other news, my 8yr old boy has declared himself to "not like meat" but when offered he'll eat fish sticks and chicken nuggets. What the heck? He used to love salmon and pollo a la braza. But I guess that was 2018. 

They will still eat potstickers even though they are not homemade. Very often that's their second dinner. Or bread and cheese when I think they are faking hunger.  

On 2/9/2019 at 6:54 PM, leleboo said:

My kids have critiqued the sweetness of various fruits and candy. For example, grapes are generally too sweet. OTOH apples can go either way. They prefer dark to milk chocolate. 

Made pizza last night but gluten free. My son helped with the fresh mozzarella. However he didn’t want red sauce instead preferring some premade pesto as the base. 

Honestly the GF dough recipe needs some work! 

10 hours ago, NolaCaine said:

In other news, my 8yr old boy has declared himself to "not like meat" but when offered he'll eat fish sticks and chicken nuggets. What the heck? He used to love salmon and pollo a la braza. But I guess that was 2018. 

Kids are weird. My 'vegetarian' eats chicken strips (not nuggets) or roast chicken, sausage patties, and is a voracious eater of all fish (he devoured half an order or fried calamari when we told him it was fish the other night at Little Beast).  The funny thing is this all started with a trip to a crab house on the Eastern Shore where he was so upset at what we were doing to the poor crabs he had to leave.

• Like 1