leleboo

What Are Your Kids Eating Tonight?

On 3/5/2019 at 4:29 PM, dracisk said:

She also had some strawberries. Then before bed she told me she was hungry for "a bread."

I've got a little sleep avoider (5) who also eats an early dinner. When she asks for food before bed, based on internet advice, I give her "a bread" or a cheese or something equally as bland. If she's hungry, it will suffice. If she's not, it won't and that's how I know if she's really hungry or just delaying bed. 

Husband's traveling so breakfast is "a bread" chicken cold cuts and strawberries and milk. I think I covered all of the food groups and momma's tired and lazy and it's lent and for lent I've given up trying too hard.

• Haha 2

We are on a chili kick, in the sense that I made eight billion servings of chili (estimated) and so we keep eating it. Luckily, my kids love chili. 

We husband made corned beef and we had Reubens last night. My daughter had no interest in the Reubens, but she went to town on the corned beef, which she'd never had before. She woke up at 3am and asked for it.

On 3/5/2019 at 1:29 PM, dracisk said:

I love this ^!

She also had some strawberries. Then before bed she told me she was hungry for "a bread."

Then you'll love this as well - with the prunes I also found a few cubes of old sweet potato and it turns out that both work quite well mixed into fruit smoothies (that is to say, undetectable both in color and taste).  I think I'll be including sweet potatoes and possibly carrots in my smoothies from now on.  Green vegetables are out for now because the Little usually has a Hatred of Green Things but maybe I'll sneak those in via very small quantities...the idea, of course is to get them to voluntarily eat all sorts of colorful fruits and vegetables eventually, but this will help things along nutritionally in the meantime. 

If my Big learns the phrase "a bread" I suspect we will never hear the end of it...

Other than smoothies they have both been sporadically willing to eat cantaloupe this week (the Big ate some at school and asked for more, which I already had on hand, and then the Little copied his brother).  It's a similar case with "green sauce" noodles. The Big has been eating "green sauce" his entire life - first as pureed vegetables when he was a baby and now as a pasta sauce, mixed in with a little pesto. It's usually broccoli, spinach, and peas, cooked in chicken broth with onions and garlic, an added fat (schmaltz or olive oil), soy sauce, a tich of cooking wine, and a bunch of pepper, all whizzed with the immersion blender, and I always have cubes of it ready to go in the freezer. The Little will now occasionally deign to eat some, especially if the noodle shape of the day is small and fun - his favorite is ditalini (tiny tubes).  We've recently learned that the Little's food issues (mostly texture avoidance and joy in cheek stuffing and spitting) are officially worthy of occupational therapy (two separate opinions), which is a relief to hear - he is genuinely difficult to feed, it's not just our imaginations, and his size doesn't allow much leeway in letting him starve it out.  Hopefully we'll make some progress under the OT's guidance!

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Sundae in the Park said:

If my Big learns the phrase "a bread" I suspect we will never hear the end of it...

The bread thing is getting a little out of hand for us. I thought my daughter was just going through a growth spurt and was extra hungry but now I'm wondering. Last night she ate a decent dinner (chicken and pasta) around 7pm, then she asked for "a bread" before bed around 9pm, then she woke up at 6am and asked for "a bread" again.

41 minutes ago, Sundae in the Park said:

We've recently learned that the Little's food issues (mostly texture avoidance and joy in cheek stuffing and spitting) are officially worthy of occupational therapy (two separate opinions), which is a relief to hear - he is genuinely difficult to feed, it's not just our imaginations, and his size doesn't allow much leeway in letting him starve it out.  Hopefully we'll make some progress under the OT's guidance!

That sounds stressful! I'm thankful that my daughter has always been relatively easy to feed. I hope the OT helps!

• Like 1

Sundae: Good luck with the food issues and I hope the OT helps. 

Just came on here to say that my little asked for a bread again last night, looked at the options and chose the ultra healthy seed filled sprouted organic thing over the bagels and tortilla. Good for her!

in other news, why does my big eat beans at school but not home? They cannot be better at school. Don't we open the same can? (baked, re-fried)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 3/13/2019 at 3:09 PM, Sundae in the Park said:

It's a similar case with "green sauce" noodles. The Big has been eating "green sauce" his entire life - first as pureed vegetables when he was a baby and now as a pasta sauce, mixed in with a little pesto. It's usually broccoli, spinach, and peas, cooked in chicken broth with onions and garlic, an added fat (schmaltz or olive oil), soy sauce, a tich of cooking wine, and a bunch of pepper, all whizzed with the immersion blender, and I always have cubes of it ready to go in the freezer. 

Ummm this sounds great, I might make this for Hubby and I, hahahhahaha.

• Like 1

Thanks guys! Hopefully things will only get better now that we have a diagnosis and some help. I was genuinely and somewhat pleasantly surprised that he qualified for feeding OT since I'd convinced myself that we were dealing with a normal picky kid. 

Actually, ktmoomau, green sauce tastes pretty decent (ooooh, and it's best when you have bacon fat to add in, yum) and I eat it sometimes as well (and not just when I'm finishing up my kids' trashed leftovers). I started making baby food for my 1st because commercial baby food generally tastes bland/awful (and then the joke was on me when my 2nd refused to eat any mushy food). I didn't add much or any salt at first but I didn't see why the kids couldn't have otherwise flavorful foods, so I mostly cooked low-sodium versions of the foods we were eating or wouldn't mind eating.  Now, despite their other forms of pickiness, spiciness and strong flavors are not usually the problem - they both LOVE gochujang-flavored everything and pretty much all curries. 

On 3/14/2019 at 7:59 AM, NolaCaine said:

in other news, why does my big eat beans at school but not home? They cannot be better at school. Don't we open the same can? (baked, re-fried)

This is our fundamental Costco dilemma so I hear / tear out my hair with you...

On 3/14/2019 at 10:59 AM, NolaCaine said:

This is *always* my question when they come home *raving* about something at school, and then I try to recreate it and they won't touch it. To wit: hard-boiled eggs, which they had at Easter time at school last year, and my Big requests weekly, and yet when we have them at home, they nibble and then discard. It's not my boiling, since half the time I'm buying the ones in the bag from the store.

Daylight savings has gotten my kids eating dinner at a slightly more reasonable hour (key word: slightly). Where before they were ravenous at 4:30, now I can hold them off until 5:30. They are lately HUGE fans of MYO pizza, so I load up the sauce with veggies, and "weird-shaped" noodles (ditto on the sauce).

So Leleboo: When are we going to call time on "a bread" comments. Today, both my kids for pre-bed snack had water and two slices of "sara lee whole wheat" bread. It's like squishy wonderbread dyed brown. 

And, while I was preparing their prison rations, they were eating the remains of their lunches! To quote all parents: "kids are weird"

In other news, I've mastered bento-box like lunches. Girl likes salad, even grain salad, various pickled things, and variety. She tells me "you didn't pack enough of stuffes." She means different things, not general volume.  

14 hours ago, NolaCaine said:

When are we going to call time on "a bread" comments.

We seem to have moved beyond the obsession with "a bread" from my 5-year-old (though I'm sure I just jinxed myself)! At the end of last week we talked about cavities and how she shouldn't eat after she brushes her teeth. (I thought "a bread" was a short-term growth spurt-related thing (but it ended up dragging on and on), so she'd been eating her bread after brushing her teeth.) Since then she hasn't asked asked for "a bread" before bed (or in the middle of the night, as she had a couple of times)!

Last night for dinner she ate some blueberry yogurt, a little bit of corned beef left over from Sunday, and half a cantaloupe.

Boiled egg, bread and butter pickles, avocado slices, and baby broccoli. Of course only 60% of the plate eaten. Also, dessert was a Hersey kiss! 

On 3/14/2019 at 7:59 AM, NolaCaine said:

On 3/15/2019 at 3:00 PM, leleboo said:

This is *always* my question when they come home *raving* about something at school, and then I try to recreate it and they won't touch it. To wit: hard-boiled eggs, which they had at Easter time at school last year, and my Big requests weekly, and yet when we have them at home, they nibble and then discard. It's not my boiling, since half the time I'm buying the ones in the bag from the store.

It has taken my Big exactly 5 days of preschool to come to the same conclusion. His school includes hot lunch, so he is seeing and (sometimes) trying new/differently prepared things - yay! However, yesterday's lunch had green beans, which he found acceptable for the first time. I offered to make them at home and, "no thanks, the green beans at school are better than yours." (And yes, I can see how probably canned green beans are more palatable to a small person than the sauteed or stir-fried versions we have at home, but, conceptually? I just die a little. Also, I can pretty much guarantee that canned vegetables I open at home would be refused, but I am willing to test this.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Although I'm not a fan of "sneaking" veggies* into food, I am obsessed with Wegman's store-brand frozen cauliflower puree (I'm sorry, "Cauli-creme" /eye roll). Could I make cauliflower puree? Sure. Would it ever be this smooth, or would I remember to freeze it in handy recipe-sized portions? Unlikely. Does it make mac and cheese a lot healthier than making a bechamel? Yep. Also, they called it "better than every other macaroni and cheese, mommy ... ok, except Panera." I'll count it as a win.

*I absolutely tell my kids it's made with cauliflower. Honestly, they like most veggies in the abstract, so it's not an issue. But you *could* sneak some veg into reluctant eaters this way.

9 hours ago, leleboo said:

Although I'm not a fan of "sneaking" veggies* into food, I am obsessed with Wegman's store-brand frozen cauliflower puree (I'm sorry, "Cauli-creme" /eye roll). Could I make cauliflower puree? Sure. Would it ever be this smooth, or would I remember to freeze it in handy recipe-sized portions? Unlikely. Does it make mac and cheese a lot healthier than making a bechamel? Yep. Also, they called it "better than every other macaroni and cheese, mommy ... ok, except Panera." I'll count it as a win.

*I absolutely tell my kids it's made with cauliflower. Honestly, they like most veggies in the abstract, so it's not an issue. But you *could* sneak some veg into reluctant eaters this way.

Speaking of Caulifower Purée, *nobody* makes a better one then DIShGo, and I mean *nobody*.

DIShGo, would you please share your recipe?