Charm City Night Market - Pop-Ups at 200 Park Avenue, in Celebration of Baltimore's Asian-American Community in Chinatown

Charm City Night Market: A Love Letter by Leandro Legera, published on Foodnomad.net 9/25/18

I’m still reeling from the feelings I had attending this event. Leandro sums it up perfectly in his tribute. My only regret is that I didn’t get more chances to interact with more of the attendees to get their feedback. I especially enjoyed the presense of various generations that attended the event. I often think of my Grandma, and how she would have loved to celebrate Charm City Night Market. 

Celebrate, 

kat

• Like 1

The organizers of Charm City Market are at it again☺️. This Wednesday there is gonna be a POP-up hosted at Ekiben. Both  Steven Chu of Ekiben, as well as Paulo Dungca from Kaliwa, will be slinging traditional foods with a twist! You know your girl loves a tasty pop -up, so with deft scheduling, I’m gonna try to check it out! I suggest if you are within 45 miles, you may want to check it out too! 

Queen of PoP,

kat

30698097-7941-4AC3-ADCF-ED5ECEB8845F.jpeg

• Thanks 1

On 8/24/2018 at 2:21 AM, DonRocks said:

It looks like there many events that will be coming up, and this inaugural event was just the beginning.  @DonRocks could you please edit to remove the date from the topic header, so that  this serves as resource to our readers on where they can find events and / or information about Charm City Market.  Thank you so much!!

11718310-9B1F-4983-A279-ACD3512ACAA6.jpeg

Saturday in Graffiti Alley behind Motor House, Charm City Night Market  hosted Night Market Underground, the third iteration of the popular night market event series helmed by The Chinatown Collective. The event featured one sake cocktail and a selection of sake & shochu from Daikaya, DJ music, and food from Lei Musubi, Otabe by Masako, and Old Boy.

I attended this event following the pasta class in DC, and let me tell you the Chinatown Collective are onto something.  I suggest joining their mailing list in order to keep up to date on upcoming events. This was the second event I attended, and i can not tell you how joyous it is to see a sea of faces that resemble your own, and there were several people that I talked to that shared my sentiment. People had asked me if there were communities or more events or spaces like this in Baltimore. I did not have an answer, but hope that this keeps gaining momentum. Northern Va is fortunate to have Eden Center, where shops and business provide several resources to the Asian community in providing grocery stores, as well as ready made food shops, and businesses that support and provide Asians ingredients as well as services that are not provided at non- Asian establishments. 

People of all ages, and races were celebrating good food , great conversation, and music.  I have been told that the next Charmcity Nightmarket that will take place in September will be bigger, and will extend over more city blocks. I can not wait. The revival of Chinatown in Baltimore just might happen. Where there is hope, and passion of the community that will build it, it may very well be a success.

Joy,
kat

• Like 1

For those of you who may have missed this last year, I highly recommend attending this year. It was an extraordinary event, and brought out so many of all ages to celebrate culture. As I learn of more details of both the talent who may be performing, along with all the food stalls that will be serving, I will update as the date grows closer. 

Saturday, September 21, 2019
3 – 11 PM
200 Park Ave & 100 N Charles St
Baltimore, MD

On 7/29/2019 at 2:45 PM, curiouskitkatt said:

For those of you who may have missed this last year, I highly recommend attending this year. It was an extraordinary event, and brought out so many of all ages to celebrate culture. As I learn of more details of both the talent who may be performing, along with all the food stalls that will be serving, I will update as the date grows closer. 

Saturday, September 21, 2019
3 – 11 PM
200 Park Ave & 100 N Charles St
Baltimore, MD

Charmcity Nightmarket ticket sales are now live. 

Come celebrate the heritage of Baltimore's historic Chinatown with 100+ local AAPI & POC restaurants, makers, and performing artists!

About this Event

Charm City Night Market is back for it's second year!

On Saturday, September 21, make your way back down to historic Chinatown to experience it all over again. Just look for the familiar lanterns that will stretch all the way to Center Plaza making the night market almost twice as big.

This year will also feature The Joy Luck Club experience which you will be able to find at One Charles Center, on the balcony overlooking Center Plaza. The Joy Luck Club is an intimate setting featuring food and activities from a diverse set of chefs and artists. You will be able to try food from Watersong (Chinese), Sarap Sarap (Filipino), Skiz's Original (Sri Lankan), Chef Kiet Philavanh of Bookmaker's Cocktail Club (Laotian), The Loving Spoon Collective (Baltimore) and Rooted & Bloomed (Local Hawaiian). Chef Seng Luangrath of Thip Khao, Hanumanh & Sen Khao will be giving a cooking demonstration of a classic Laotian dish. fadensonnen will be offering a complimentary cocktail and a cash bar featuring some unique cocktails.

The Joy Luck Club will also feature traditional activities such as Mah Jong, Henna, and traditional brush painting. Guests will also receive a parting gift unique to Charm City Night Market. You can purchase tickets through the ticket link here on Eventbrite and if you get your tickets by September 7, you'll be able to buy them at a discounted price.

Charm City Night Market has also expanded it's food offerings from last year. Stalwarts such as Ekiben, Thai Street & Kuya Ja's Lechon Belly will be back and we are welcoming new experiences from Maketto, Hot Lola's, Chuck's Trading Post, Mofflebar, The Boondocks BBQ & Mayuree Thai Tavern.

Our artists & makers row is also back and bigger than ever and for the first time this year, Charm City Night Market will have a special Children's area featuring over-sized games, singing, dancing, drawing, and readings from some special guest authors.

This year, Charm City Night Market will also be featuring two big stages headlined by spoken word, hip-hop artist Ruby Ibarra. For a full line up of our performances, check out our Facebook page!

This event is family friendly and ADA accessible. Please notify us if you walk with assistance or have a wheelchair. The main The Joy Luck Club entrances are in stairwells, but there is an alternate accessible entrance that we can make available.