The Great Eatery - Deli and Sandwich Shop in Rosslyn's Twin Towers - Closed Aug 31, 2018

I went over to the Twin Towers to The Great Eatery, the buffet and sandwich place, and they posted a sign that August 31 would be their last day after ten years.  Although I think the cause is mainly the movement of various businesses on the Mall level due to the expansion of the WJLA empire, I am sorry to see it go, particularly as a similar buffet place at the Rosslyn Metro Center closed several months ago.  Now, aside from a sandwich shop on the street level, a fairly large complex has no interior dining options.  There are still food trucks along Wilson Boulevard and assorted take out places in the block across Wilson, but it is sad when a business closes that was at least convenient.

• Thanks 1

On 8/29/2018 at 12:16 PM, BookGuy said:

I went over to the Twin Towers to The Great Eatery, the buffet and sandwich place, and they posted a sign that August 31 would be their last day after ten years.  Although I think the cause is mainly the movement of various businesses on the Mall level due to the expansion of the WJLA empire, I am sorry to see it go, particularly as a similar buffet place at the Rosslyn Metro Center closed several months ago.  Now, aside from a sandwich shop on the street level, a fairly large complex has no interior dining options.  There are still food trucks along Wilson Boulevard and assorted take out places in the block across Wilson, but it is sad when a business closes that was at least convenient.

You scooped the omnipresent ARLnow.com:  The Great Eatery in Rosslyn Permanently Closed, by Vernon Miles, September 12, 2018, on arlnow.com.  Fantastic!

• Thanks 1

While I am feeling somewhat nostalgic about eating options in the Twin Towers, I remember when I moved to Rosslyn in the early 1980's, that complex had a restaurant called New York, New York which closed in a few years after I moved to Rosslyn.  Although I was young then and, therefore, had no basis for comparison, it reminded me of what a typical Manhattan eatery was like with a break menu of surf and surf, something like I imagined Toots Shor's or Jack Dempsey's must have been.  The closest that my fading memory can come to describing something similar would be Joe's, the Miami transplant on fifteenth street near the White House.