Group A: Atletico Madrid, Borussia Dortmund, Monaco, Club Brugge

Group B: Barcelona, Tottenham Hotspur, PSV Eindhoven, Inter Milan

Group C Paris Saint-Germain, Napoli, Liverpool, Red Star Belgrade

Group D Lokomotiv Moscow, Porto, Schalke, Galatasaray

Group E: Bayern Munich, Benfica, Ajax, AEK Athens

Group F: Manchester City, Shakhtar Donetsk, Lyon, Hoffenheim

Group G: Real Madrid, Roma, CSKA Moscow, Viktoria Plzen

Group H: Juventus, Manchester United, Valencia, Young Boys

Groups B & C look tough.  Group D is all chumps.  Bayern, City and Real will all easily win their groups.  Valencia may knock out Man U.

1 minute ago, Tweaked said:

Considering Manchester United's Premier League season is pretty much over before it even began...might as well put their energy into the CL.  or FA Cup.  or the League Cup.

I think Man U will get knocked out at the group stage and the "Special One" will get sacked.

Going to Charles Town this afternoon so I can wager on soccer (and other sports).  Any thoughts on this weekend's games?

Liverpool v. Tottenham should be a good match.  Tottenham and missing Dele Alli - I'm thinking Liverpool wins this game.  Chelsea, City and Arsenal should all win.  What about Watford v. Man U?

Champions League started with a bang. 

Messi curls in another free kick in the top right corner.  It was funny to see a defender crouching behind their wall, presumably to stop Messi from going under the wall.  Messi ended with another hat trick, giving him the most hat tricks thus far in the Champions League.

Liverpool and PSG was an exciting match, except when Sturridge's right foot rolled over the ball and ended up stomping all over the goalie's junk.  Personally I don't know if that was a foul.  

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/09/psg-liverpool-keeper-alphonse-areola-cleat-groin-video-sturridge-salah-mbappe-champions-league

Watch the embedded video...

On 9/29/2018 at 9:40 AM, Ericandblueboy said:

Placed bets on the following to win this weekend

1.  Tottenham -200  won $100

2.  Everton -150 won $100

3.  Leicester +195 won $195

4.  Liverpool +150 lost $100 

5.  Bournemouth +125 won $125

6.  Sevilla +125 won $125

7.  Gironde +200 lost $100

8.  Alaves +245 lost $100

Total = up $345 on $950 of wagering.

Looks like Cavani is injured; PSG not in great shape to face United.

Big selection problem with Bayern.  Muller is suspended, but that's actually not the biggest issue.  Among Javi Martinez, Thiago, James, and Goretzka, it appears that Javi is needed to stop Liverpool's counters but putting him in gives up a valuable resource required for an absolutely essential away goal (or two), and doesn't actually stop Liverpool from scoring - it's a question of when rather than if.

PSG v. Man U should be good.  PSG's missing Neymar, Cavani, Rabiot and possibly Verratti.  Man U is in good form, especially with Rashford at the #9 spot.  I prefer to see Man U win because a fully fit PSG could be trouble for Barca down the road.

Tottenham v. Dortmund may be close but both teams may miss their top scorer in Kane and Reus.  I hope Dortmund can go through as their style of football is fun to watch.

Madrid vs. Ajax. Madrid's in good form lately.  I don't follow Ajax but I heard they haven't been playing very well lately notwithstanding having some serious talent.

Liverpool v. Bayern.  Bayern is having a down year, not even winning the Bundesliga.  Liverpool's Van Dijk's suspended for the 1st leg and Salah isn't in great form.  I still pick Liverpool.

Atletico Madrid v. Juve.  I like to see Ronaldo out of the tournament.

No love for today's Roma v. Porto? 

Porto is one of those teams that you never really want to meet in the CL knock out round.  They always seem to punch above their weight class.  And with Roma in 6th place this season, Porto have to like their chances.   

Barça beat Madrid 3-0 in Madrid in the 2nd leg of the Copa del Rey to advance on last Wednesday.  Madrid's left-back Sergio Reguilón was seen crying after the loss.

Barça beat Madrid 1-0 in Madrid in their 2nd La Liga meeting of the season, leaving Madrid 12 points back.  Instead of crying, Sergio Reguilón told Luis Suarzez that he's "really ugly."  In response, Suarez mocked Reguilón for crying.

I would love to see Ajax knock Madrid out of Champions League tomorrow.

Great performance by Ajax yesterday.  I was impressed by them in the group stage as well as in the home loss to RM, but I didn't see this coming.

This leaves a slightly more open field than in a number of years.  We can begin to speculate after the quarterfinal draw.

15 hours ago, Ericandblueboy said:

Anyone watch the United game?

Lukaku scored early (2nd minute).  PSG piled on the pressure and scored shortly after.  Buffon gaffed to give ManU the 2-1 lead.

After that, ManU looked disorganized for much of the game, spraying passes all over the place.  At the end of the game they were putting in players called up from their youth squads.

In about the 89 minute, Kimpembe (PSG) blocked a shot by jumping and turning his back, but left a flying elbow hanging and was called for a handball on VAR review.  A tough call, but most pundits agree it was technically a handball.  Rashford buried it with authority. 

Agg. 3-3 ManU advanced on away goals.  They got the job done, but it wasn't pretty.

Highlights

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Ericandblueboy said:

United was aweful.  I’m in shock they won the game.    

Sir, in some quarters, many quarters, including Schloss Bobulescu, comments such as yours are considered blasphemous. Other teams may lie, steal, and cheat their way to victory, but the Red Devils are never awful. Repent!

Some tasty match ups. 

QUARTERFINAL DRAW

Ajax vs. Juventus
Liverpool vs. FC Porto
Tottenham Hotspur vs. Manchester City
Manchester United vs. Barcelona

SEMIFINAL DRAW

Tottenham or Man City vs. Ajax or Juventus
Man United or Barcelona vs. Liverpool or Porto

15 hours ago, DonRocks said:

Don't be busting on Chișinău - I'm still waiting to hear back from them about parts for my Yugo.

(Also known as Yu Don't Go)

If those Yugo parts don't come thru for ya, I have access to used Trabant and Wartburg parts, might work instead. Typically, a clutch from one is interchangeable as a brake in the other. Could probably get them for ya at wholesale prices too, maybe even 20% below wholesale. Might have to grease a palm or two tho. Keep me posted.

3 hours ago, Tweaked said:

Insane first 10 minutes to Spurs/City.

Picking up on what you and Eric above said I went to the YouTube highlights.   Oh my!! a week of goals in the first 10 minutes of the game.  That IS  exciting. 

Shocking ending too.  Man City scores a last second goal that was ruled off by VAR because Aguero was offside.

The game was full of mistakes.  While I'm glad the Spurs won, I feel they won because Man City made more mistakes.  The third goal by the Spurs was controversial because the ball bounced off a Spurs' player's elbow before hitting his hip and then bounce into the goal.  

And the Spurs will be depleted in the first game against Ajax because of injuries and yellow card suspensions.

Tottenham midfielder Christian Eriksen has agreed on terms with Real Madrid for a summer transfer, according to AS.

Negotiations between Madrid and Spurs have already begun, with the Danish star set to earn €4 million per year at Santiago Bernabeu.

WTF?  He's only getting 4 million Euros a year?  

10 minutes ago, Sasha K said:

Angry dwarf.

Top-Scorers vs Premier League Top 6 teams this season:

Messi - 6
Firmino - 5
Kane - 4
Mane - 3
Aubameyang - 3
Sterling - 3

Messi only played against 3 of the 6 teams (Spurs, United, and so far just 1 leg against Liverpool).