mdjordy

K-Pot, a Korean-Based (?) Chain of Asian Hot Pot Restaurants, Montrose Shopping Center on Randolph Road in Rockville

Opened Wednesday next to MOM's market in Rockville.  Mini chain, other locations out west.

Soft opening-10% off.  I went last night and suggest waiting and paying 100%.

Very awkward- from being seated-to waitress-to mgrs-to owners-cooking at your table, etc.

They have 2 options.  AYCE BBQ or Hot Pot-or both.  $24.99 for BBQ at dinner.  16.99 at lunch.  more options on dinner selections.

I had the BBQ.  Your waitress takes your order for up to 5 meats/seafood.  They then bring bunch of marinated veggies, nothing special. She also mentioned that you can order as many appetizers as you like.  I ordered Japchae.  That was delivered with the meats.  The meats were just placed next to me.  Nobody explained or turned on BBQ/  After about 10 minutes, a mgr asked how everything was- not sure why he didn't notice raw meats sitting there.  I asked if I should cook- or how it works.  He got the grill going and then he started cooking.  Never really answered if I should be doing this.

Short ribs with bones, very flavorful.  Thick rib eye, just ok-dry, tasteless.  Brisket (prime) very thin and boring.  Another manager cam by and asked how everything was..I asked if they had sauces I could order.  He then said I was supposed to serve myself at the Salad bar...had no idea, nobody had told me.  Chalk that up to opening blues.  Tried a couple of more BBQ options...still found it hard to figure out who cooked-or to order from.  

Bottom line is...I think it could be good, just not yet.  If/when you're very hungry it could be a good option. 

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure (but not 100% certain) that this restaurant chain is based in Asia, probably Korea, and that California is the base of their USA operations. If anyone can find out more information, please let us know.

This is in Montrose Shopping Center in the former Teppanyaki Grill and Buffet space. This is a view heading towards Rockville Pike on Randolph Road:

Screenshot 2018-11-04 at 14.50.07.png

The real tragedy here is that K-Pot is a pun on K-Pop (didn't think about that one, did ya!)

Went here for lunch yesterday: we could either wait for a table that could do bbq, or be seated immediately in a place that could only do hot pot. We did the latter. Nice choice of broths - miso, herb, and spicy Szechuan were all good. The hot-pots are individual rather than one large shared one. Extensive beer selection for this type of place. As noted above, you have to go to get sauces from the salad bar, which they don't tell you about. Some of the sauces had run out, unfortunately, hopefully just a teething problem. But all in all a good addition to the hot pot options, if nothing to get too excited about.

Also had the "nobody told me about the sauce/salad" bar experience.  Having tried basically every hot pot and k-bbq place in the area, KPot surprisingly rates very favorably.  I had the Korean spicy tofu hot pot broth, and it was the best broth I ever had for a hot pot.  The quality of the bbq meats was pretty good too (and a nice selection), but I found the grilling area a little small for what it needed to be (and some occasions where our server was tied up with another table and we weren't sure whether we were supposed to grill it in her absence).  Still, I would happily go again (my 7 and 9 year olds loved it too), and will enjoy the experience a lot more when the service experience becomes more seamless.

Totally agree about the small grilling area.  It could only cook about 1 order of meat at a time- that could be a problem if they really bring 5 items.

The grill was quite impressive with a downdraft ventilation system around the perimeter...no "stinky clothes, like Honey Pig".

This place has quickly become our favorite KBBQ/Hot Pot place in the area. 

I love that you get individual hot pots, so I can get the excellent Szechuan broth, and the spice-adverse folks at the table can get whatever they want. 

Really nice variety of meats, veggie and appetizer dishes. 

For the grill, we really enjoyed both the regular and spicy bulgogi the best. 

For the hot pot, I threw everything in...dumplings, clams, thin sliced beef, veggies and was happy with pretty much everything.