San Marzano Tomatoes - The Fake Rolodex of Canned Foods

FunnyJohn

Good read about fraudulent marketing and over-hyped food products:

"What seems to be the issue with San Marzano tomatoes is widespread fraud. They command a higher price than regular canned tomatoes, and as with any other premium brand, counterfeits follow. Unlike faux Chanel bags, though, you can buy San Marzanos in legit stores, which is why the sheer number of knockoffs is jaw-dropping. In 2011, Edoardo Ruggiero, the president of Consorzio San Marzano, told the small Italian importing company Gustiamo that at maximum 5 percent of tomatoes sold in the U.S. as San Marzanos are real San Marzanos. So according to the guy who oversees the certification of those tomatoes, at least 95 percent of the so-called San Marzanos in the U.S. are fakes."

Over the course of a year I make a fair amount of tomato sauces.   At times I use plum tomatoes, San Marzano, and fake San Marzano.  Sometimes its all plum tomatoes, sometimes all canned which could be SM or fake SM, sometimes both.   After all is said and done I'm not convinced the origin makes that much difference to me.  Its usually the quality of the cooking and the time and care put into it.

• Like 1