Christmas and Hanukkah Events around Washington, DC

Ericandblueboy

Ice and other stuff at Gaylord National Harbor.  I made brunch plans for this weekend at National Harbor but have not pulled the trigger on tickets for Ice.  Too damn expensive.  I went years ago and thought it was fun for maybe 30 minutes at the most.

Lightup Fest at One Loudoun.  I drove past it on the way to Charles Town.  Not sure whether the food or acrobatic shows are good. 

Light installation art in Georgetown.  I'm taking the kids this weekend. 

ZooLights.  We go every year.  The lights don't change and the food around the area just isn't all that good.  May pass this year.

Anything else?

Meadowlark Winter Walk of Lights. I did it last year with my family. It was fun...save for the end-of-days rain storm we got caught in.

Bull Run Festival of Lights. I'm planning on doing this this year. After last year and the deluge, the idea of Christmas lights you drive through in a nice warm car sounds kind of nice. :) (That said, I've never been. Anyone out there been and have advice?)

3 hours ago, dracisk said:

I think we're going to do Miracle on 34th Street in Hampden, Baltimore on Saturday as long as the weather is OK. (It's supposed to be much milder but possibly rainy!) My 4-year-old loves houses with holiday lights. We've never been so would appreciate tips from anyone who has!

It’s awesome. And crowded. Make a reservation for dinner somewhere (Woodberry Kitchen?) for after. It will take you about an hour to see the street. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Rieux said:

It’s awesome. And crowded. Make a reservation for dinner somewhere (Woodberry Kitchen?) for after. It will take you about an hour to see the street. 

Thanks! I was thinking about an hour, which is a good amount of time for us. We were thinking to get there around 5pm -- does that seem wise? Any parking tips? There are some pointers on the event's website.

Very cool Christmas/Holiday train exhibit (great for kids and adults) at the US Botanical Gardens.  There are concerts on select Tuesdays and Thursdays and admission is free.  The place is warm, protected from the elements and there are plant-based US landmarks recreated sprinkled throughout the center hall.

Lines can be long to get in, but if you have not done this it is really cool.

The National Christmas tree and events around the US State and Territory trees are also pretty neat to do if you have not.

On 12/11/2018 at 1:43 PM, TheMatt said:

Meadowlark Winter Walk of Lights. I did it last year with my family. It was fun...save for the end-of-days rain storm we got caught in.

Bull Run Festival of Lights. I'm planning on doing this this year. After last year and the deluge, the idea of Christmas lights you drive through in a nice warm car sounds kind of nice. :) (That said, I've never been. Anyone out there been and have advice?)

We've done the Bull Run Festival of Lights the past two years and have brought some apple cider and snacks to munch on in the car. My wife is on one of those online lists for discounted tickets so it's not too expensive. For our 4 1/2 year son, it's been a lot of fun but now that he's a little older considering walking thru Meadowlark.