DonRocks

Annoying Words and Expressions

1 hour ago, NolaCaine said:

What the !@#$ does that even mean? An ecosystem can't have a cultural sift. An ecosystem can have a BIOlogical shift or an ecological shift but cultural? Maybe if we were talking about some nice molds. For !@#$% sake. 

If you're making leavened bread, and tilt the bowl to one side, you can have a cultural shift.

(Technically, "ecosystem" means (and I'm copying this straight from the internet), "a biological community of interacting organisms and their physical environment," so it makes sense, but still ... spare us the pretentious obfuscation.)

6 hours ago, DonRocks said:

I have another one: ¨existential threat.¨

That is a term I enjoy and use.  Describe other ways you can describe “this will completely and utterly destroy” us

4 hours ago, DaveO said:

That is a term I enjoy and use.  Describe other ways you can describe “this will completely and utterly destroy” us

Existentialism, the philosophy, is concerned with humans, and only humans, and goes far deeper than mere existence. "Existential threat" is now used to describe anything and everything which is in danger - from the human race, to a department store, to an archaic language.

I don't think it's a terrible extension of the word; it's just grossly overused for too many things, and has become very much of a fad in recent months.

38 minutes ago, Mark Slater said:

In college I was a fan of Pointillism.

What's wrong with Pointillism?

I know it's probably the most over-enjoyed period of art after Impressionism, but think about Eine Kleine Nachtmusik - great piece regardless of how often it's played, no?

Sportscasters need to come up with another word besides "filthy" to describe a ball having a lot of spin on it. Twenty-years ago, you'd hear the occasional, "That was nasty," but it has morphed into "filthy" and has become overused and trite.

And I'm doubling down on this sentiment:

On 2/24/2019 at 12:18 PM, DonRocks said:

"... doubles-down on ..."

This blackjack term has become the world's most annoying cliché for "being resolute" about something.

Screenshot 2019-02-24 at 12.19.49.png

Filthy doesn't just mean spin.  Filthy means a particularly fantastic act.  It could be a nutmeg in soccer, a dribble that makes the defender fall down, a pump fake, etc.

"To perfection," as in "The steak was cooked to perfection." Often seen in Yelp reviews. What does it even mean?!

There was a commercial recently that used science as a verb.  As in, "we scienced."  I was appalled. Making all words into verbs is annoying.

On 10/28/2019 at 1:07 PM, ktmoomau said:

There was a commercial recently that used science as a verb.  As in, "we scienced."  I was appalled. Making all words into verbs is annoying.

Oh, that's straight out of "The Martian" ("I'm going to have to science the *shit* out of this.") It was annoying and just plain stupid then, and it's annoying now.

---

To all would-be writers: Never, *ever* begin a paragraph of a persuasive piece with "Look," - it's weak and condescending. Example number one:

"The Case for Not Worrying about the Warriors" by Rohan Nadkarni on si.com

Whenever I see "Look," I usually move onto the next piece.

A separate but related situation is starting a sentence with "Sure," - also weak and condescending, since what follows is of trivial concern to the author, and then in the passage *after* that, they'll get to their real point. It's ultra-lame.

3 hours ago, DonRocks said:

Oh, that's straight out of "The Martian" ("I'm going to have to science the *shit* out of this.") It was annoying and just plain stupid then, and it's annoying now.

That's the most quotable line of the movie. I love it.

• Like 1