Sen Khao, Lao Noodles and Rice by the Owners of Thip Khao - in the Tysons Taste of UrbanSpace Food Hall

As mentioned in a separate post, a number of new restaurants/food outlets recently opened in Tyson's Galleria. My daughter and I were out doing some Christmas shopping, and we decided to check out Sen Khao. I haven't been to Thip Khao, but I frequented Bangkok Golden a few years ago, which is the restaurant that introduced me to Lao cuisine. 

The menu is somewhat "compact", and featured two starters, a salad, two sticky rice dishes, and three noodle soups. You have your choice of proteins for the salad dish as well as the soups.

We opted for Curry Puffs ($5) and two of the soups. The curry puffs may have been the best I've ever had. The dough was thin, light, and perfectly cooked, while the filling consisted of nicely seasoned pieces of potato. An order consists of two curry puffs with accompaniments. 

I chose the Khao Piak Sen ($14), which is a type of chicken soup featuring rice noodles, pulled chicken, garlic chili oil, herbs and greens, and some crispy rice. While it was slightly spicy, chili paste and raw chiles are available for those who like it hotter. This soup was a winner. Clean favors, nicely seasoned, and freshly prepared. (Note: The menu states the noodles are udon-style, and while I'm not a noodles expert, I think rice noodles were used.)

My daughter opted for Mee Kathi with tofu, which is a coconut curry rice noodle based soup flavored with egg, peanuts, cabbage, and banana blossom. She declared her soup to be outstanding as well.

The service was extremely quick, and the staff was very friendly and helpful as well. If I worked in the Galleria or lived nearby, Sen Khao would be on my short list.

We strolled to check out the other food outlets, and picked up an eggnog ice cream cone ($4) at Ice Cream Jubilee. The eggnog ice cream was fantastic. Creamy, rich, and with a hint of rum. They offer several interesting flavor combinations (Thai Iced Tea, etc.) Looking forward to a return visit there, as well.

IMG_7203.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Tweaked said:

The bottom noodle soup, assuming it is the Mee Kathi with tofu, looks amazing (well it all does, but that soup in particular!)

Yes, that's the Mee Kathi. It was indeed wonderful.

I forgot to mentions the portions are quite substantial, as well.

On 12/21/2018 at 1:47 PM, Tweaked said:

The bottom noodle soup, assuming it is the Mee Kathi with tofu, looks amazing (well it all does, but that soup in particular!)

I had the Mee Kathi with shrimp. It was I'd-take -my-Lao- Momma, good. My only complaint is that I desired more of that scrumptious broth. I tipped the bowl to my lips. None of that broth was going to waste. 

• Like 3

I have been here twice now - and am a long time regular at Padaek. I really hope this food court can survive - even the small menu is so satisfying. While it is no longer on the menu, they have had crispy rice salad with tofu (and sour pork if you eat meat) that is so good (I believe it is called naem khao thadaeu and I don't know how I have missed this for so long at Padaek). The chef made it for me last night. The soups are as good as others noted above and are consistent with the high quality of the ones in the regular restaurants. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, lizzie said:

I have been here twice now - and am a long time regular at Padaek. I really hope this food court can survive - even the small menu is so satisfying. While it is no longer on the menu, they have had crispy rice salad with tofu (and sour pork if you eat meat) that is so good (I believe it is called naem khao thadaeu and I don't know how I have missed this for so long at Padaek). The chef made it for me last night. The soups are as good as others noted above and are consistent with the high quality of the ones in the regular restaurants. 

I do too. I was there on a perfectly great Saturday afternoon, & the number of guests was surprisingly low. The offerings are all delicious & reasonably priced , so I wonder what the formula is to stay afloat?

We've tried all three soups and the chicken wings with coconut rice. I think the Mee Kathi is our favorite, definitely with the tofu. The chicken wings are spicy but addicting, I only wish they'd come with more pickles.

We've been twice and they've hooked us as regulars, especially since our son likes being in the food court so much. At noon on a Sunday I think every table eating Lao food (including us) also had a stroller. 

• Like 4

Sen Khao in the Tysons Galleria.  First trip, kinda forgot about this place now that the hype has died down a bit, but WOW so good. I had the eggplant with spicy tamarind sauce, onion, herbs, puffed rice, fried garlic, and the beef curry, and I was blown away by both in terms of freshness and quality of preparation. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Rhone1998 said:

Sen Khao in the Tysons Galleria.  First trip, kinda forgot about this place now that the hype has died down a bit, but WOW so good. I had the eggplant with spicy tamarind sauce, onion, herbs, puffed rice, fried garlic, and the beef curry, and I was blown away by both in terms of freshness and quality of preparation. 

That eggplant sounds amazing! Have you tried Laos in Town or Thip Khao to compare?

I thought the prices at Sen Khao looks high in general, especially $14 for the Naem Khao (crispy rice salad).  I thought it's cheaper at Padeak but after checking that website, the price is the same.  I remember Naem Khao was only $10 or $9 a few years ago.  I'll give Sen Khao a shot at some point given it's only a couple of miles from my house. 

11 hours ago, Ericandblueboy said:

I thought the prices at Sen Khao looks high in general, especially $14 for the Naem Khao (crispy rice salad).  I thought it's cheaper at Padeak but after checking that website, the price is the same.  I remember Naem Khao was only $10 or $9 a few years ago.  I'll give Sen Khao a shot at some point given it's only a couple of miles from my house. 

I hear you, but the rent in Galleria is absurd.

SALAT MAK MUA - eggplant, spicy tamarind sauce, onion, herbs, puffed rice, fried garlic.  Loved the fried garlic (an essential ingredient in HK Typhoon Shelter dishes).

PAA TAWD - Fried catfish, lychee sauce, lemongrass, mint, cilantro, onion, cherry tomato.  Didn't taste like catfish at all.  A little like sweet & sour sauce but definitely more funkily sour.

Both dishes are great.  I would definitely go back.

Sen Khao.JPG

• Like 4