Wow Air (2011-2019) Iceland's Low-Cost Airline Founded by CEO Skuli Mogensen - Ceased Operations on Mar 28, 2019

Since most of my air travel is trans-atlantic rather than domestic thought I would start a thread on a little known Icelandic LCC  WOW AIR that flies out of BWI.

I've used them about 10 times, for no reason other than to save money. 

First thing to know is they have been in financial difficulty, but are currently being purchased by a private equity outfit that has stakes in several LCC, so hopefully they'll bring some expertise.

Round trip they can be $200 to $500 less expensive than the next best. Maybe that's why they are in trouble.

They've really tightened up their baggage limits, so you have to be prepared to pack light, and use a cheap laundromat.

In October I flew for $380 round trip that was booked 4 weeks out.

To Ams, Dub, Frank, Lon, Paris etc.you have a 90 minute layover in Keflavik, time to stretch your legs etc. which suits me because I never sleep. All told it adds about three hours to a direct flight to NW EU. They are no more or less comfortable than any other LCC. Once when flying to Barcelona we had a 6am to 6pm layover and used it for a quick day trip to the city, an hour away.

https://wowair.us/

Bummer! I did at least note at the outset that they were in financial difficulty. Ever the optimist.......maybe Norwegian will take up the opportunity at BWI. they mostly fly direct nonstop. They have full service out of JFK and Newark on 787's and discount service out of Stewart, 60 miles away, on 737's, plus service out of CT and MA.

Norwegian has now overtaken BA and Lufthansa as the leading non US airline on the North Atlantic. They have 130 aircraft, 93 destinations, but they too have shaky financials. Michael O'Leary, boss of EU competitor Ryanair, and no shrinking violet, says he's amazed they haven't gone belly up yet. He claims they're losing "heroic" amounts of money due to over expansion.