Shaho

Chef Guo, Chef Guo Wenjun's Chinese Imperial Banquet Cuisine on Little River Turnpike off I-395

Thought people might be interested to hear about Chef Guo, a new restaurant featuring Chef Guo Wenjun's take on Chinese banquets. This is probably the closest the DC area has had to Chinese fine dining, and I'm interested to see how it fares. The chef serves a selection of two tasting menus, the Banquet of Eternal Bliss Hot Pot ($68 lunch, $98 dinner), and the Banquet of Peace and Prosperity ($158 dinner only), both of which feature 10+ courses in the style of imperial cuisine. Scroll through the website to see the full menus, pictures of the dishes, and a press release detailing the overall concept.

So far there hasn't been much buzz about this place outside of the Chinese community, but some friends who have gone reported it to be luxurious, visually and conceptually unique, and a lot of (too much?) food, mostly very good to excellent. There seems to be a mix of traditional cuisine and modern/Western techniques. If I understand correctly, the dinner they attended was a special event combining dishes from both menus, with all of the guests at a shared table and Chef Guo himself coming out between each course to explain the concept behind the dish (in Chinese); it's not clear to me how different the experience will be once the restaurant gets settled in, but from their website it seems like they are definitely interested in catering to non-Chinese clientele as well. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, Shaho said:

Thought people might be interested to hear about Chef Guo, a new restaurant featuring Chef Guo Wenjun's take on Chinese banquets. This is probably the closest the DC area has had to Chinese fine dining, and I'm interested to see how it fares. The chef serves a selection of two tasting menus, the Banquet of Eternal Bliss Hot Pot ($68 lunch, $98 dinner), and the Banquet of Peace and Prosperity ($158 dinner only), both of which feature 10+ courses in the style of imperial cuisine. Scroll through the website to see the full menus, pictures of the dishes, and a press release detailing the overall concept.

So far there hasn't been much buzz about this place outside of the Chinese community, but some friends who have gone reported it to be luxurious, visually and conceptually unique, and a lot of (too much?) food, mostly very good to excellent. There seems to be a mix of traditional cuisine and modern/Western techniques. If I understand correctly, the dinner they attended was a special event combining dishes from both menus, with all of the guests at a shared table and Chef Guo himself coming out between each course to explain the concept behind the dish (in Chinese); it's not clear to me how different the experience will be once the restaurant gets settled in, but from their website it seems like they are definitely interested in catering to non-Chinese clientele as well. 

This may be a perfect opportunity to plan a DR. dinner event? Thank you @Shaho for this fantastic post!  I am, anyone else care to join me? Me thinks, February 5th will be a suitable date. 

#yearofthepig,

kat

I'm gonna go way out on a limb here and speculate that this is the only restaurant in the DMV whose website touts the chef having served both Barack Obama and Kim Jong-Un (with photos).

2 hours ago, Marty L. said:

I'm gonna go way out on a limb here and speculate that this is the only restaurant in the DMV whose website touts the chef having served both Barack Obama and Kim Jong-Un (with photos).

Michael Landrum served Obama and Dmitri Medvedev in the same meal:)

I've always wondered when something like this would arrive - this is one of the most intriguing restaurant openings of 2018.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, curiouskitkatt said:

This may be a perfect opportunity to plan a DR. dinner event? Thank you @Shaho for this fantastic post!  I am, anyone else care to join me? Me thinks, February 5th will be a suitable date. 

#yearofthepig,

kat

I tried booking a table for a group of us for Feb, but the website  doesn't prompt for a month ahead, so I am thinking 1/19 for approx 8 to 16 people? I could make it a private event or we could be in the main dining area. Chime in if you are interested in attending. The cost is  $ 158/ peace & prosperity banquet. 

23 minutes ago, Finatic said:

Seems like an odd location for an expensive Chinese restaurant.  Anyone remember Mr. K’s?

I grew up about three miles from Mrs. K's - I wonder if they got divorced?

Mr. K’s was the first (and perhaps only) white tablecloth Chinese restaurant I have ever been to. They served a small dollop of sorbet between courses. It was on the corner of 18th and K.  I wonder if there is a relationship to Mrs. K’s?

4 minutes ago, Finatic said:

Mr. K’s was the first (and perhaps only) white tablecloth Chinese restaurant I have ever been to. They served a small dollop of sorbet between courses. It was on the corner of 18th and K.  I wonder if there is a relationship to Mrs. K’s?

There isn't. :)