Dunking from Behind the Free Throw Line

DonRocks

Has anyone ever done this, without touching the line? I've seen people come *really* close, but I can't find any videos of people actually clearly being behind the free throw line. This, despite having heard about "free throw line dunks" for over twenty years.

This video looks fake, IMO - not only does it waver at the 10-second mark, but if you look closely, he appears to elevate right at that moment. Plus, who knows if the rim is 10'0"?

I've seen Scottie Pippen come really close, but I think he's touching the line. Surely if this many people can come this close, *someone* can do it, and make it obvious, right?

Okay then, where?

43 minutes ago, DaveO said:

Look for videos of Chamberlain doing it

I guess if anyone could do this, Chamberlain could have - it's funny that I didn't even think about him, since he was a national-class high jumper, broad jumper, and sprinter in college (not to mention being about 7'1"). Still, ten minutes of searching, and I couldn't find anything.

wilt.jpg

3 hours ago, DonRocks said:

I guess if anyone could do this, Chamberlain could have - it's funny that I didn't even think about him, since he was a national-class high jumper, broad jumper, and sprinter in college (not to mention being about 7'1"). Still, ten minutes of searching, and I couldn't find anything.

After making the suggestion I also looked it up.  Evidently There is no video but the response to a question is very thorough and authoritative.

Also there are videos of people dunking or attempting to dunk from the foul line and didn’t Dr J do it in a dunk contest.

BTW Don your questions got me to realize that my mind is cluttered with generally worthless basketball trivia much of it from days of yore.   How I recalled that Geoff Petrie shared rookie of the year with Dave Cowens is beyond me.   After guessing/ recalling that I searched him only to discover that he was quite talented, had an injury that hampered and shortened his career, and was considered excellent when at his best.   It hit me that I don’t recall his game at all and probably did not see him play.  Not surprising though as he played on a West Coast team and there was no ESPN/ all sports all the time networks.

14 hours ago, DaveO said:

Also there are videos of people dunking or attempting to dunk from the foul line and didn’t Dr J do it in a dunk contest.

I saw Erving's foot touch the line - same with Jordan, same with everyone else. I, too, assumed that they all had done it, but I have yet to see a single video that shows it being done.

14 hours ago, DaveO said:

BTW  Don your questions got me to realize that my mind is cluttered with generally worthless basketball trivia much of it from days of yore.   How I recalled that Geoff Petrie shared rookie of the year with Dave Cowens is beyond me.   After guessing/ recalling that I searched him only to discover that he was quite talented, had an injury that hampered and shortened his career, and was considered excellent when at his best.   It hit me that I don’t recall his game at all and probably did not see him play.  Not surprising though as he played on a West Coast team and there was no ESPN/ all sports all the time networks.

This is a great display of your "basketball-fan age" compared to mine: Try as I might, I cannot recall the name, "Geoff Petrie." Maybe if I saw him in context enough times, I'd recall him, but right now, I have no memory of his existence, and he's *exactly* at the point when I can't remember a successful player (I'm 57). There's no question that the fault is mine, and that Petrie had a fine career, both in the NBA and in the NCAA. I just tipped my hat to you when you guessed the answer; I couldn't have done it. That said, I'd propose that remembering Petrie is more than remembering "generally worthless basketball trivia ... from the days of yore" - he was an important player, and if you don't remember him, then he's wrongly being forgotten.

All this said, I'm currently skeptical if anyone has a convincing video of dunking from behind the foul line (and I'm talking about absolutely *no* touching the foul line with your toes - behind, behind, behind, accompanied with a clean dunk; not depositing it against the back rim, and letting the ball rattle around the basket). Is it possible that it has never conclusively before been done, and wouldn't it be interesting if, after all this time, it has been nothing more than an apocryphal legend?

Do I think Chamberlain could have done it? Certainly. The rim is 15-ish feet from the foul line, and the world record long jump is over 29 feet - you have to think that world-class long jumpers are high enough to do it midway through their jump, at least the ones who can palm a basketball.

Cheers!
Don