ISO a Home for National Geographic Magazines

Bart

Does anyone want a stack of 170 or so National Geographic magazines?  They start in 1967 and go to 1986 (1 each) and 1993 (2 each)  

Very few years are complete  The most complete years are from 71 - 83  Some magazines are in near perfect condition. Others have been cut up for pictures for elementary school projects in the 70s.  But even the ones that are cut are mostly intact   

Free to a good home.  

If no one wants them, anyone have any idea what to do with them?  I’d hate to just toss them out.  I was thinking about calling the local school to see if they could use them for art class. 

7094F274-7F15-4CB6-A5C7-A85F4ECD3C77.jpeg

402B506C-09B0-493C-93FA-B8170D03F1EF.jpeg

You know, it's funny ... when Karen died, I needed to focus my attention on "something," so of all things, I focused it on, "Reading National Geographic, cover-to-cover,  every single magazine, until the end of time [and if I finished that, then backwards, to the beginning of time]." 

I finished reading about five-years worth of magazines - it was during the time that their long-time editor, William L. Allen, was running the magazine -  I went so far as to buy (in bulk) library copies of the magazine ... I even have an original copy of "Afghan Girl."

afghan.jpg

Yeah, bro, I'll take them. And when I'm done with them, I'll either donate them to a library, or give them to a charity.

• Like 1

Wow, what a great story, Don!  You’re exactly the type of person I was hoping to give these to.  

I’ve read articles here and there but they’ve been sitting in boxes in my basement for literally 20 years, and before that they were sitting in boxes in the attic of the previous place I lived!

I’ll leaf through them to see if there are any I NEED to read, but maybe you can scan the articles and post them on the site to spur discussion. 

I’ll send you a PM  Thanks!

Don/Bart: If you have the RACE issue with the black/white twins on the front, read that one. Wow.

Bart, not sure where you live but local libraries often have the capacity to take, sell and give them away.  All Arlington libraries will take all of them. They get sold or given away. Schools don't always have storage capacity but if you go the school route, consider less well-off schools. Many of the South Arlington schools (for example) have programs to get print material into children's homes as do some affordable housing organizations. 

When I was widowed, i just got heigher education. I think back on those 5 years and nothing to show for it but a couple of degrees. THat's it. Not one friend. Ok so I did take some good trips and learned how to eat so that's something. Grief is hard/weird.