Dumplings and Jap Chae

ktmoomau

23 hours ago, ktmoomau said:

Do tell!  

1) Use the right, thickish, sweet potato starch noodles

2) When boiling, Do Not Overcook

3) Rinse right after draining to cool down the noodles but no need to take them all the way down to cold, medium-warm is fine

4) Cut the noodles up a bit with scissors, stir in the sauce and toss liberally, and don't skimp on the sesame oil

5) Do Not Cook It More In A Pan, no matter what that ridiculous recipe tells you. Stir-fry your other ingredients either individually or together according to your preference, stir into the noodles when done, and mix again with more sauce as needed. Boom, done!

With the recipes I started with so many ages ago, I ruined a few batches because I was thinking of the dish as a stir-fried noodle dish rather than a boil, season, and mix-in other ingredients off heat dish. I can't seem to stir fry the noodles, even with a lot of oil in a good non-stick pan, without ending up with a sticky mess.  So, at the suggestion of a different recipe, I just keep the noodles off heat once fully boiled and it turns out great.  

If anyone else has more insight, I'd welcome it, but this works for me! At present, the risk/reward differential isn't high enough for me to twice-cook the noodles anymore.

• Like 1