Tosokchon, Korean Stews and Barbecue, Open 24 Hours on Little River Turnpike, Annandale

On 7/9/2017 at 7:30 PM, Jeff Heineman said:

Was jonesing for Korean so I loaded up the kids and we went to Tosokchon for a late Sunday Lunch. We all thought is was Fantastic.

Seafood Pancake was top notch and not too greasy. I didn't get the dumplings since I hesitated and the kids killed them. Bibimbap was pretty standard the noo roong ji crispy rice element was well developed in it, the Soondae Guk was a wonderful broth and the requisite blood sausage and other offal bits in it were worth the gout flare up potential. The Noodle Soup with Clams was a delicious soup with wellmade, chewy noodles and way too many clams for the price. The star of the meal was the Gamja Tang. The soup was so well developed; spicy, sweet, robust with julienne vegetables and an abundance of beautifully cooked pork, a few carrots and a chunk of potato. So good, I really am looking forward to being a little under the weather and letting this stew cure me sometime this winter. 

There was some banchan, kimchi was delightful. My wife didn't quite understand the toasted rice water/tea they served us throughout but we all grew to find it quite refreshing.  2beers, 2 apps 4 entrees  $71 before tip. 

I may go back for Gamja Tang tomorrow

My youngest has speech therapy on Little River Turnpike at 8:15 a.m.   Afterwards, I wanted some brunch.  We could've gone back to Yechon or Gom Ba Woo but I thought we give this 24 hr joint a try.  

We only got 3 banchons - kimchi and two kinds of marinated daikons.  The bulgogi was pretty good.  The mandoo were very black peppery, otherwise not much flavor.   The kimchi jeon (pancake) was too thick and flavorless.  

5 minutes ago, Ericandblueboy said:

My youngest has speech therapy on Little River Turnpike at 8:15 a.m.   Afterwards, I wanted some brunch.  We could've gone back to Yechon or Gom Ba Woo but I thought we give this 24 hr joint a try.  

We only got 3 banchons - kimchi and two kinds of marinated daikons.  The bulgogi was pretty good.  The mandoo were very black peppery, otherwise not much flavor.   The kimchi jeon (pancake) was too thick and flavorless.  

This thread was for the Elliott City location, which I believe has closed.  Is the Annandale one related?

1 hour ago, Marty L. said:

This thread was for the Elliott City location, which I believe has closed.  Is the Annandale one related?

1 hour ago, Ericandblueboy said:

No idea.  I didn't even know there was another restaurant by the same name.

I can't be sure the two were related (they don't have websites), but there's a fair amount of duplication between Annandale and Ellicott City - if a restaurant in one place wants to open a second location, it will often be in the other place.

Tosokchon continues to be one of our favorite restaurants in Annandale. The service is friendly if a bit rushed, and they are open 24 hours. 

They do stews really well. I vary between the blood sausage and the pork stew {chock full of pork parts, pork meat and blood sausage} and the intestine stew. Both their Gamja tang {pork neck bone & potato} and chicken stew {massive amounts of cicken & potato} come in a spicy, slightly sweet sauce and always provide leftovers. I like their hangover stew a lot too.  The Mandoo guk is really good ecause of the meaty broth. And they really excel at Mul Naeng Myun {cold buckwheat noodle.} They do a very good Kalbi, and Pork trotters.  On the appetizers, they offer boiled pork and blood sausage. You can get both or just one. 

The Soon Du Bu is ok, the seafood pancake and steamed mandoo are less than ok. The panfried mandoo, however, are far superior. 

The banchan selection is limited but excellent. The kinchi and daikon are some of the best I've ever had. They do a mean chayote in soy & vinegar. And the third varies, last night it was bean sprouts. 

This is one of our two go to places for good stews, the other being Oegadgib. The latter has better banchan but the stews are not quite as clean as Tosokchon. Plus you don't wind up smelling from BBQ.

We have beengoing for years. I knew Tim was reviewing it when the plate of kimchi and daikon kimchi showed up in his Twitter feed

But he missed a lot of great dishes. The pork intestine soup {dwaeji gukbab} has blood sausage, pork innards and pork meat and is my go to dish. The hangover soup is hearty. Kimchi Jigaee is another winner. Dakdori Tang is a chicken soup/stew with a sweet red sauce that does not seem too spicy at first but leaves a burn. Gamja Tang is pork bone soup and it has pork spine and you need to get down and dirty to get all the meats. Jeong Sik is the best $7 a meat eater can spend: huge plate of cooked pork and soon dae. And even though it is not really a BBQ place, their Galbi is superb if spendy. 

• Like 2