Best Pollo a la Brasa and Other Latina Favorites in Alexandria Area

ktmoomau

So I need to find a new chicken place now that we have moved... I also would like to find a place for Saltenas and Empanadas.  (I really miss being close to Caribbean Grill, it was one of my favorites, we also had a Crisp and Juicy right there.) 

I don't mind going down Route 1 a bit, as that can be on Hubby's way home.  I have been to Edy's at Bailey's before, and it's fine, but not special to me and can be crowded to get in and out of that shopping center.  I have been to the chicken place by David's Car Wash, again not bad, and much easier to get in and out of.  Where do you Alexandrians get your chicken fix?  Where would you get Saltenas?

On 1/29/2019 at 12:13 PM, ktmoomau said:

So I need to find a new chicken place now that we have moved... I also would like to find a place for Saltenas and Empanadas.  (I really miss being close to Caribbean Grill, it was one of my favorites, we also had a Crisp and Juicy right there.) 

I don't mind going down Route 1 a bit, as that can be on Hubby's way home.  I have been to Edy's at Bailey's before, and it's fine, but not special to me and can be crowded to get in and out of that shopping center.  I have been to the chicken place by David's Car Wash, again not bad, and much easier to get in and out of.  Where do you Alexandrians get your chicken fix?  Where would you get Saltenas?

If you're in South Alexandria on Route 1, try Tacos el Costalilla. I know it isn't what you asked for, but try the original Vaso's Kitchen (the one in the old Dixie Pig space) for home style Greek - get a carryout of Avgolemono Soup and Moussaka to give it a try).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DonRocks said:

If you're in South Alexandria on Route 1, try Tacos el Costalilla.

Since you already derailed the chicken question (!) I'll continuing the derailing to ask, what would you order here?  A few years back, when Tim Carman did his $20 Dinner column, he raved about place.  The one time I tried it, I was not impressed.  The food was meh, the floors were sticky and there was a language problem that left me with unanswered questions and no idea what to order.  I probably ordered wrong, but what I got left me with no desire to try it again without a guide or some intel!

31 minutes ago, Bart said:

A few years back, when Tim Carman did his $20 Dinner column, he raved about place.  The one time I tried it, I was not impressed.  The food was meh, the floors were sticky and there was a language problem that left me with unanswered questions and no idea what to order.  

I have a vague recollection of telling Carman about this place, but I'm not sure. The first time I went, I got a burrito that had been grilled, and it was really good; the last time I went, I had a burrito, and like you, I was not impressed. Even at its best, this place doesn't get a rave; it gets an in-the-neighborhood worth-a-try.

(She did say Latino!)

On 1/29/2019 at 12:13 PM, ktmoomau said:

There's a great little place tucked into the Days Inn on Richmond Hwy. called Tango pastry. Does good Argentinian food, including some awesome empanadas. If you go, let me know what you think. Full disclosure: I have not been in almost a year. But back then it got a thumbs up from an Argentine friend. 

• Like 1