Charlie's on the Avenue - Chef Joel Rojas' Sports Bar in Del Ray, from the Owners of Live Oak - Closed

We got delivery from Charlie's on the Avenue, chicken parm sandwich, wings, and Hubby got a po-boy, I forget what.  The wings were smoked and were very good.  The chicken parm sandwich could have been better if there was just a bit more sauce.  But things were good and very affordable and delivery was quick.  I would go there some night and chill. 

Anyway, I didn't see a thread on it, their website is here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Went here for March Madness Saturday night, had a sample of other people's appetizers, onion rings are quite light and good, fries acceptable, tater tots were tots.  I had the smoked wings again, and I was still impressed, meaty wings, a nice smoke, buffalo sauce and blue cheese.  It was a nice space to watch a game in, lots of tables for groups.  Lots of people had kiddos in there earlier in the evening, seemed pretty family friendly.

• Like 1

Happy hour from 3-7pm, $2 off rail drinks, $5 mules, $5 house wine.  Thursday has a raw bar happy hour all night.  My friend got oysters that just weren't super plump and had very little liquid in them, I think they just weren't shucked super well.  I had peel and eat shrimp that were good.  Mule was good, not too sweet.  

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Josh Radigan said:

The good thing is that the Beer garden next door will stay open. That being said it will be quite difficult to lease the old Charlie's space out with a competing beer garden right next door. Cue the age old question "what is Del Ray lacking that could utilize that space?"

Hmmm....The Birchmere is about a mile away, and the food there is dreadful. How about a pasty shop, so that portable goodies can be had and smuggled into The Birchmere?

4 hours ago, Josh Radigan said:

The good thing is that the Beer garden next door will stay open. That being said it will be quite difficult to lease the old Charlie's space out with a competing beer garden right next door. Cue the age old question "what is Del Ray lacking that could utilize that space?"

What I have noticed in about a year living near Del Ray is- the nightlife really is terrible.  I think because it is kind of a baby mecca, there just isn't a whole lot of night life past say 7:00 pm save for a few places, and I think those were maybe enough to sustain the market?  So I think it has to be somewhere that can do a decent brunch/lunch business, with a good amount of take out to get them through the evening hours and def kid friendly.  I guess I am not a good litmus test for places though because- two of my favorite spots closed- Charlie's and Catch.  There was a big thread on Nextdoor about what people wanted.  They all wanted a diner.  

Its a funny thing about Del Ray- after living there for 20 years I have found that no one wants to do a straight up American Bistro. A high percentage of the restaurants follow a specific cuisine style. I have always thought what would work in Del Ray would be a really cool Bodega that sold great sandwiches, 2-3 salads, some main dishes and had a solid wine and beer program. Along with that a NYC style bodega store for essentials. I agree that late night is a struggle but some of that is through the agreement that bars in Del Ray have to close much earlier than say Clarendon. I believe its 12 am. Granted that does seem pretty late but as well the only real bar is at pork barrel and ESC. The others just seem like an after thought. Charlie's tried but every time I went in it seemed empty same with Catch on the Avenue.

• Like 1

On 2/3/2020 at 12:22 PM, ktmoomau said:

Closed- this last weekend was their last I believe.  It is really too bad, they had the best wings in Alexandria hands down.  We got their wings delivered one last time last night.

"Super Bowl Sunday Last Call for Charlie's on the Ave." on alexandrialivingmagazine.com

Bombay Curry Company had better chicken wings by far - perhaps the best in the entire DMV.